Road bike versus Road touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I'm considering getting a touring bike to replace my oversized road bike. How much of a difference is there performance-wise between road and road tour bikes? Would my average speed come crashing down? Are they more sluggish uphill?

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
It depends a bit on how much luggage you are carrying, among other things.
I'd rarely be carrying luggage, I'd use it just like a road bike really.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I'm going to watch this thread with some interest. As I have to sell my sports car and still have a bit of mid life crisis going on, I am thinking of a new bike. My criteria are:

1. Titanium frame.
2. Full compliment of braze on bosses. Rack and mudguards, extra set of bottle bosses.
3. Clearance for up to 32 tyres at a push, 28 more commonly. No big gaps.
4. Discs? More than likely.
5. Slightly longer than standard top tube. There's an ape in my family tree.
6. Square taper BB. Is it me or was that the last type that lasted more than a month or two?

I am going to start researching who can build/supply such a bike.

I've just bought a touring bike (Hewitt Cheviot SE) and have been comparing it to my road bike (Trek Alpha 2.5).

My comparisons have been a simple freewheel test down a local shallow hill and a ride around a 32 mile loop with 1100 ft ascent.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18854608

I initially found the tourer felt a bit sluggish. I was about 2 mph slower on the loop and on the freewheel test it went a shorter distance - hard to quantify in a meaningful way. It came with 32mm Conti Tour Plus tyres at 70 / 80 psi F/R. Max pressure specified is 80 psi.

I changed to 32mm Conti Gatorskin Hardshells and inflated to 80 / 90 psi F/R (Max is 102 psi) and on the freewheel test I went exactly the same distance as the roadbike on 25mm hardshells and 90 / 100 psi. I also regained my 2 mph on the loop. I think regaining the speed was partly due to me pushing the pedals harder, because I was enjoying the ride better. I'm quite a lump, 15 stone, so the additional weight of the bike was diluted by my own contribution to the cumulative weight. (I could have specced the Hardshells from the off by the way, I just didn't have the experience to know how much difference to expect).

Summarising, I'm pleasantly surprised that my average speed over the stated terrain is as close to the same that I can't tell the difference.

Hope this helps.

Graham

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
I'm going to watch this thread with some interest. As I have to sell my sports car and still have a bit of mid life crisis going on, I am thinking of a new bike. My criteria are:

1. Titanium frame.
2. Full compliment of braze on bosses. Rack and mudguards, extra set of bottle bosses.
3. Clearance for up to 32 tyres at a push, 28 more commonly. No big gaps.
5. Slightly longer than standard top tube. There's an ape in my family tree.
6. Square taper BB. Is it me or was that the last type that lasted more than a month or two?

I am going to start researching who can build/supply such a bike.

There are some stunning Ti and Steel Audax/ tourers around for sensible money. Spa Cycles Ti would be my choice of Ti and the new Holdsworth Stelvio ( in red ) for steel or for trans world Surly disc Trucker.

I think discs may be the smart choice. I have Tektro CR720 Cantis on my new tourer and out of the box they were dreadful compared to the Ultegra calipers on my road bike and the cantis I've had on old mtb's (when well set up). I replaced the pads on the tourer with koolstop salmons - a pretty standard mod -and the difference was amazing. But not as good as the xtr discs on my best mtb or the ultegra calipers.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I think you'll notice a slight difference in speed. it won't make as much of a difference to your average speed from point to point.

I'm comparing my cx bike to the road bike. The road bike was definitely faster. Acceleration, cruising speed, max speed, all faster on the road bike. The average speed wasn't much slower, but still slower, point to point. (this is with wider road tyres).

Drago

Legendary Member
Enjoy the comfort of the tourer, or split the difference and consider one of the more relaxed Sportive bikes.

I think you'll notice a slight difference in speed. it won't make as much of a difference to your average speed from point to point.

I'm comparing my cx bike to the road bike. The road bike was definitely faster. Acceleration, cruising speed, max speed, all faster on the road bike. The average speed wasn't much slower, but still slower, point to point. (this is with wider road tyres).

Pardon me, but surely you can spot the contradictions in your claims?

DanZac

As @Ian H says there are a fair few steps between full on road and full spec tourer. Ive got a Spa steel Audax which fills the gap nicely. Bit more relaxed and comfy than a full on road bike but fast enough when you put a bit of effort in, full mudguards, handbuilt wheels, full 105 or sram apex, 28c tyres at a push and under £1000. Whats not to like!

Top Bottom