Road bike versus Road touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
My personal issues with touring bikes are the canti brakes. I find them an abomination on a heavily laden touring bike. Hard to keep adjusted, squeal and difficult to set up. I've removed them from two of my tourers and fitted standard sidepulls. I don't need wider than 28c tyres so suits me.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Why a touring bike then, rather than a road bike that is the right size for you?
As I'm actually very comfortable on my 'road bike', with a fairly 'aggressive' set-up, I'll tour with that. I actually find sitting more upright tiring. This one took me from Paris to Rome:

DSC09347_02-04-2013.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's definitely a difference even between an endurance bike like a Roubaix and a racer. The racer will be faster up hills and down, faster on the flat but conversely will usually be stiffer and less comfortable on long runs. As the owner of a Roubaix and a rather naughty Italian climbing bike I can testify to this.

Maybe the bike industry ought to get together and establish a sporty - endurance - touring grading system where 1 is an uncompromising racer and 10 is the most comfortable tourer.

Nebulous

Guru
As @Ian H says there are a fair few steps between full on road and full spec tourer. Ive got a Spa steel Audax which fills the gap nicely. Bit more relaxed and comfy than a full on road bike but fast enough when you put a bit of effort in, full mudguards, handbuilt wheels, full 105 or sram apex, 28c tyres at a push and under £1000. Whats not to like!

Stop it! I'm coveting one of them already, without you adding to it. I haven't spoen to them, but going by the website you can't get handmade wheels and 105 below £1000.

Nebulous

Guru
I had an allez which was pretty much an aluminium racing bike and an Edinburgh bike tourer with flat pedals, guards, rear rack and an extra 6 kilos. Over a distance of more than 30 miles, particularly in wind, it was hard to separate them timewise / speedwise. Allez was 54 cm frame, tourer was 55, but felt more stretched with a longer top tube. There are so many variables though in weather, wind, air pressure, fitness and condition of the legs that it is difficult to be objective.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
The OP was concerned about speed on a touring bike though. Of course we can tour on any bike, but carrying enough luggage is usually a reason for choosing a purpose-built tourer, apart from the more relaxed geometry. How did you carry everything for your trip?
B&Bing it, I had a seatpost-mounted saddle bag: apart from essentials, all I took were T-shirt, shorts & flip flops for the evenings, when my cycling kit got washed. Here I am, fully-laden for Exeter to the Alps in 2012:

DSC08750_19-08-2012.jpg

Attachments

• dsc08750_19-08-2012.jpg
    dsc08750_19-08-2012.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

bigjim

Legendary Member
One thing about a touring bike is the ability to take mudguards. I have never been on tour without hitting substantial rain even if it was only for one day.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd rarely be carrying luggage, I'd use it just like a road bike really.
Perhaps get a road bike then...preferably one that can take proper mudguards and a rack (even with P clips, just in case) :smile:

Don't buy the wrong bike just because it's cheap, and don't buy the wrong size bike because it's cheap. £300-400 will get you a decent second hand roadbike like a Giant Defy, if you sell it on in a year when you've more cash, if you've looked after it, it won't have lost a lot of value :smile:

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Perhaps get a road bike then...preferably one that can take proper mudguards and a rack (even with P clips, just in case) :smile:

Don't buy the wrong bike just because it's cheap, and don't buy the wrong size bike because it's cheap. £300-400 will get you a decent second hand roadbike like a Giant Defy, if you sell it on in a year when you've more cash, if you've looked after it, it won't have lost a lot of value :smile:
Thanks. Made the latter mistake when I brought my current road bike, never again lol.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm considering getting a touring bike to replace my oversized road bike. How much of a difference is there performance-wise between road and road tour bikes? Would my average speed come crashing down? Are they more sluggish uphill?
As your main priority appears to be performance, I suggest you get a new road bike if the present one is not suiting you.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
What's your budget? Are you prepared to get a new bike on finance for example?
Pretty low unfortunately (due to being a poor student) ^_^, which is the only reason I was considering that particular touring bike as it was only just over £100. I am trying to raise some funds by selling my hybrid but the ideal would be an exchange of my current road bike with one with a smaller frame. But I haven't had any luck there so far. I've had one or two offers but they have been too far away to be practical. I don't think I would consider finance to be honest because I wouldn't be able to commit to paying the amount back at the moment.

Top Bottom