Road bike versus Road touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I've offered the guy £85 for it, he's advertised it for £130. If he accepts the offer, I might consider buying it. Depends how desperate it is, has been listed for a while. Cheers for the replies everyone.

mustang1

Guru
Pardon me, but surely you can spot the contradictions in your claims?
I do. But I have to tread carefully else this may become a wide tires versus skinny tires thread and then the "but wide tires have lower rolling resistance" brigade won't shut up. :smile:

boydj

Legendary Member
My personal issues with touring bikes are the canti brakes. I find them an abomination on a heavily laden touring bike. Hard to keep adjusted, squeal and difficult to set up. I've removed them from two of my tourers and fitted standard sidepulls. I don't need wider than 28c tyres so suits me.

If you were buying new, though, your tourer would almost certainly come with disc brakes.

Needs new tape, I wouldn't put my hands anywhere near that!

Zaffiro tyres are average, and that looks like a £15 Madison saddle

I'm sure it's fine as a stopgap and future winter hack, you may not get your money back though

Go test ride it

Be a start and a great frame to restore / upgrade as you go!

How do you know it will be the right size though, and how do you know your current bike is the wrong size? Sometimes just a change of stem length or a repositioning of parts can make all the difference.

What bike have you got in what size and how tall are you?

vickster

Legendary Member

How do you know it will be the right size though, and how do you know your current bike is the wrong size? Sometimes just a change of stem length or a repositioning of parts can make all the difference.

Why have you quoted me and not @Welsh wheels ?

I'm not sure it matters if it adds to the thread, but I suppose subconsciously it was because your post said it could be a stopgap and not to expect a return on it, whereas I think the OP could fix it up and upgrade it so it would be more than a stopgap.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king

I have got a 58 cm frame 2016 Dawes Giro 300 and I'm 5'9. It was much too big when I brought it. I hadn't ridden a road bike before, so when I test rode it I assumed that was the correct position, and being an idiot didn't really pay any attention to recommended frame sizes. I changed to a shorter stem, which was an improvement. I have ridden it about for six weeks like that, and it's still not perfect. I'm starting to get consistent back pain so I think it's time to find a smaller frame. I don't know the exact frame size of the Saracen, I only know it's a medium. Haven't decided whether to get it yet though, but if I do I will measure it before I buy it.

vickster

Legendary Member
which is fine providing you never need to mend a puncture on the road, at which point they get, and stay, horribly grubby. lesson learned and back to black when the time for new tape came around…
Latex gloves?
I have got a 58 cm frame 2016 Dawes Giro 300 and I'm 5'9. It was much too big when I brought it. I hadn't ridden a road bike before, so when I test rode it I assumed that was the correct position, and being an idiot didn't really pay any attention to recommended frame sizes. I changed to a shorter stem, which was an improvement. I have ridden it about for six weeks like that, and it's still not perfect. I'm starting to get consistent back pain so I think it's time to find a smaller frame. I don't know the exact frame size of the Saracen, I only know it's a medium. Haven't decided whether to get it yet though, but if I do I will measure it before I buy it.
Don't measure it - test ride it!

si_c

Guru
Decided I'd put up with my current bike for a while longer, until I'd enough for a nicer bike

Sometimes the best way, I've been hitting ebay looking at second hand stuff as my current bike has a few limitations (gearing being one, hills are doable but irritating with a 42-28 smallest gear). In the end I've decided to get a new one when I can afford it.

Top Bottom