Road bike versus Road touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Why would you be if you have the money to buy?
Well I wouldn't want to ride them while they're were for sale in case they got scratched or I crashed, and then when I sold them I'd have to hunt around for a while as well.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair enough, sell the roadbike first as that's too big. A scratch won't make much difference to a second hand bikes value. Crashing, just be careful and get insurance in case someone takes you out

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
[QUOTE 4692367, member: 43827"]You mention your speed coming crashing down and a couple of questions come to mind.

What sort of distances do you ride and are they racing or commuting/leisure/fitness miles. You will no doubt lose a bit of speed moving to a more relaxed geometry bike, so that when racing or chasing Strava segment records it might be important, but on a 10-20 mile commuting or leisure ride you will likely lose less than a few minutes so probably not that important.

There are so many more options than a full tourer that might suit your needs and your budget.[/QUOTE]
I do distances of anything from 20-100 miles, I like to have a good average speed and go reasonably fast uphill and downhill but I don't do serious racing. Mostly I want to travel decent distances at a good average speed and enjoy the process. The bike I have been considering is a secondhand Sacaren tour road bike, which looks to be more on the road bike side than the touring side

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
£100 sounds enough for a bike that could be 10 years old and only £250 to start with

https://www.evanscycles.com/saracen-tour-2007-road-bike-00126767

Not a really much more than a BSO
No, it's not that one its this. I thought it looks good but looks can be deceptive I guess
p5pb14065381.jpg

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
No, it's not that one its this. I thought it looks good but looks can be deceptive I guess View attachment 339045
Beg pardon. That does look like the same one minus the tyres and the saddle

vickster

Legendary Member
Needs new tape, I wouldn't put my hands anywhere near that!

Zaffiro tyres are average, and that looks like a £15 Madison saddle

I'm sure it's fine as a stopgap and future winter hack, you may not get your money back though

Go test ride it

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4692421, member: 43827"]
P.S. vickster, soap and water plus riding gloves will soon get round that problem. I've ridden far worse, but then I am a cheapskate.[/QUOTE]
Not going to happen for the sake of £10 tape :smile: That looks shagged and filthy. Red tape to match the tyres...

Top Bottom