Road Derailleur with trigger shifters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I need to replace my sram derailleur on the Montpellier. It has flat bar therefore trigger shifters. I have looked at the sram apex derailleur but this is a road mech. Both it and the mech it is replacing use sram exact actuation which gives a 1:1 pull ratio.

Is it likely to work here or will I need a mtb specific mech?.

TIA.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
AFAIK, there is exact actuation and also X-actuation. If mech and shifters are the same they should work, but you can't mix. Mechs come in medium and long cage, so you need to check capacity for your cassette - or just get long cage.
https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/technologies/exact-actuation

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Jenkins

Legendary Member
This is prompted by a previous query where I thought @Salty seadog would need a X5 rear derailleur and nor an Apex one for the flat bar due to what was referred to as different cable pulls from my previous research when looking to replace a SRAM derailleur myself in the past.

I can only guess that this means that the trigger shifters on flat bar/MTB move a different amount of cable when operated than the road shifters and the derailleurs are set up to account for the different amount of cable moved - could anybody help both Salty & myself by clarifying this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

This is prompted by a previous query where I thought @Salty seadog would need a X5 rear derailleur and nor an Apex one for the flat bar due to what was referred to as different cable pulls from my previous research when looking to replace a SRAM derailleur myself in the past.

I can only guess that this means that the trigger shifters on flat bar/MTB move a different amount of cable when operated than the road shifters and the derailleurs are set up to account for the different amount of cable moved - could anybody help both Saly & myself by clarifying this.

Asked in my lbs this morning and they were not sure it would work. I guess the difference is the differing length of cable pull (as noted by Jenkins) are compensated for by the difference in the pivoting of the parallelogram of the derailleur, after all, they both have to get the chain up the same cassette.

Jenkins, fancy a bowl of chips and a couple of Guinness until our curiosity is sated?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Asked in my lbs this morning and they were not sure it would work. I guess the difference is the differing length of cable pull (as noted by Jenkins) are compensated for by the difference in the pivoting of the parallelogram of the derailleur, after all, they both have to get the chain up the same cassette.

Jenkins, fancy a bowl of chips and a couple of Guinness until our curiosity is sated?
Could I exchange a the Guinness for a Becks instead? Salt, vinegar & ketchup with the chips?

Top Bottom