ROCKBROS T6 Cree 3-Mode 1200LM Bike Light review

Discussion in 'Shopping, Services, Offers and Reviews' started by goo_mason, 25 Apr 2016.

1. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

Gearbest-Rockbros-USB-Bike-Light_crop-300x253.jpg
    Rockbros USB Bike Light

Please note that I was sent this light by GearBest in exchange for an honest review, and I ran the light on my bike during my daily commutes in all Edinburgh weathers for three weeks to give it a good shakedown before writing this.

Link to buy: Rockbros USB Bike Light
    Size tested:
    1200 lumens

Technical details?

T6 Cree LED, max light level of 1200 lumens, can reach 200 - 800m lighting distance
    3 modes - strong, low and flash, controlled by button switch
    Shockproof CNC anodized aluminium alloy heat-sink casing
    Illuminated button switch, with colour indicating charge level
    Waterproof
    Rubber O-Ring handlebar attachment
    (Requires USB 2.1A powerpack)

Available in Red/Black, Gold/Black and Silver/Black

Size: 4.2 x 5.5 x 3.0 cm
    Product weight: 0.165 kg

Build quality:
    9/10

Solid construction that looks like it'll survive a beating .

Ease of use:
    10/10

Plug it in, push the button and you're up and running. Press again for the lower-powered beam, and a third time for strobe. Uses a nicely-visible coloured indicator to indicate battery life.

Fixing options:
    7/10

Comes supplied with various rubber O-rings to attach the lamp to bars of different diameters. I'm never that keen on this type of fixing, as I usually can't get the lamp to stay pointing in the same direction after a few minutes on Edinburgh's poorly-surfaced roads. However, this lamp seems to have stayed put when others haven't – likely because it's fairly small and light and tightly attached.

Waterproof qualities:
    9/10

It's been drenched repeatedly in the heavy Edinburgh rain, with no ill-effects. I reckon that's a good guarantee that it'll fend off the very worst of the elements!

Battery life / charge times:
    9/10

It's hard to judge this as it'll depend on the USB powerbank you use. As an indication, I've used a tiny, pebble-sized Lidl power source which puts out 1.0A and it's kept the strobe going for over 3hrs (and this thing barely adds 1 bar to a smartphone before it's empty). With a beefier powerpack, I reckon you'll get days out of this light!

Light Performance:
    8/10

It's brighter than my trusty AyUps, although the beam is pretty focused in one spot and doesn't really have much spread.

Value for money
    8/10

The light is pretty much on par with its Chinese-manufactured competitors. It's available for $9.57 on GearBest with free postage from China. At current exchange rates, that's about £6.67 which is damn good value (especially when I think about how much I've spent on less-powerful and short-lasting lights over the years).

Summary
    8/10

I have to admit that when I was sent this light and found it was powered via USB, I didn't hold out much hope. However, I've been really quite pleasantly surprised by the quality, brightness and run times – especially since I didn't have a powerpack of my own to run it from, and could only borrow a piddlingly tiny Lidl one which I didn't think would (a) power it, and (b) keep it running for more than a few minutes. Amazingly, it powered it and kept doing so for over 3hrs. I guess that this would appeal to those who don't want to have to strap a bulky, heavy powerpack to the bike – a tiny USB power source will do just fine. Alternatively, for hours and hours of power there's nothing to stop you using a monster powerpack if you really want to. You do, of course, have to supply your own means of strapping the powerpack to your bike, but that's a minor inconvenience. I reckon the cable's long enough to run the length of the top tube and into a sadldlebag if you already use one.

The beam spread means that it's not going to light up a wide section of the road ahead of you, but unless you're riding very fast on a completely unlit road or path I don't think that's going to be too much of an issue. You're definitely going to be seen if you're running this light, though I do recommend being polite and angling it down so that it points to the road a metre or so in front of you. It's very impolite – and not to mention dangerous - to dazzle or blind oncoming cyclists or drivers.

Overall, I'm really happy with this light and if you're looking for a cheap light that'll help you be seen and show up all of those approaching potholes on a dark commute, this comes recommended.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2016
    Pat "5mph" and biggs682 like this.
  2. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

@goo_mason i have been doing a similar review on this lamp Review of Basecamp cycle lamp model bc-403

3. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

Why only 9/10 for waterproofness?

4. Andy_R

Andy_R Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..

If you add one of these Linky to your light, it solves the issue of beam spread.

5. OP
    OP
    goo_mason

It was probably a bit tight to do that, but I was comparing it to my Ay-Ups (which you can chuck into the sink with the washing up to get them clean). They're 10/10 as they're completely sealed; I wouldn't want to risk chucking this light in with the rest of the dishes!

Mugshot likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    goo_mason

Does it stick on the outside, or do you have to dismantle the light?

7. Andy_R

Andy_R Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..

It replaces the existing clear glass - unscrew the front, swap the glass out, screw the front back on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice