Roundabouts - When not turning left

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NigC

This problem seem to crop up for me at least once a month at the same spot each time:

I need to go straight on at a particular roundabout, but the majority of traffic will turn left. After experience, I found a lot of motorists just assume that cyclists are turning left too.

My technique is to check behind me, make sure it's clear or that I know the motorist behind has seen me and then pull to the middle of the approach road (which splits into 2 lanes). But even doing this, I still find the odd motorist will overtake me on my right, then cut across me to go left.

I suppose I could indicate, but as I'm not turning right, this could be misleading and at that point my speed is low, making me more unstable if I take a hand off the bike.

Is there anything else I could do?

lit

Are you taking the lane? Because it sounds like are you giving them the opportunity to cut across you:

I still find the odd motorist will overtake me on my right, then cut across me to go left.

OP
OP
N

NigC

lit said:
Are you taking the lane? Because it sounds like are you giving them the opportunity to cut across you:

That's my intention - but I'm not sure if I completely cross to the right lane every time (where it splits into 2). But surely if I'm blocking enough of the left lane, my intention NOT to turn left would be clear?

PK99

Legendary Member
NigC said:
This problem seem to crop up for me at least once a month at the same spot each time:

I need to go straight on at a particular roundabout, but the majority of traffic will turn left. After experience, I found a lot of motorists just assume that cyclists are turning left too.

My technique is to check behind me, make sure it's clear or that I know the motorist behind has seen me and then pull to the middle of the approach road (which splits into 2 lanes). But even doing this, I still find the odd motorist will overtake me on my right, then cut across me to go left.

I suppose I could indicate, but as I'm not turning right, this could be misleading and at that point my speed is low, making me more unstable if I take a hand off the bike.

Is there anything else I could do?

in that situation i take the lane and signal continuously with a flat handed "stay back" motion

Jezston

Über Member
Indicate right until past the left turn?

Although not sure I would feel comfortable navigating a roundabout one handed!

Norm

If the left lane is marked as left turn only, then you should be completely out of it. If it is only custom and habit which make it left turn only, it's more difficult as taking the right lane to go straight on might cause conflict on the roundabout when you move across to exit.

If you could tell us where the roundabout is, preferably with a link to it on Google's Street View, then we may be able to offer more constructive advice.

gouldina

Sounds like a roundabout that's well worth avoiding if you can. Roundabouts in general are a problem for cyclists I feel. I regularly have cars trying to overtake me on a single lane one I have to cross every day on my way home and yes I do take primary.

OP
OP
N

NigC

PK99 said:
in that situation i take the lane and signal continuously with a flat handed "stay back" motion

Hmmm, I can see how that could work. I still don't like the idea of approaching with only 1 hand in control of the bike, but that could probably prevent 75% of the incidents.

lit

That's my intention - but I'm not sure if I completely cross to the right lane every time (where it splits into 2). But surely if I'm blocking enough of the left lane, my intention NOT to turn left would be clear?

Yeah it would but sadly you're always going to get one who will try it, when I'm going straight on I ride in the middle of the left lane and give a look behind before like you do, that is usually enough.

Sometimes I wobble the bike a bit to make them seem like I haven't a clue how to balance a bike at a roundabout, you'd be amazed how much they tend to keep back when they see that.

gouldina

NigC said:
Hmmm, I can see how that could work. I still don't like the idea of approaching with only 1 hand in control of the bike, but that could probably prevent 75% of the incidents.

Yeah it's tricky isn't it because you've then only got one brake and in that situation, it's highly possible that someone in front of you could brake suddenly.

OP
OP
N

NigC

gouldina said:
Sounds like a roundabout that's well worth avoiding if you can. Roundabouts in general are a problem for cyclists I feel. I regularly have cars trying to overtake me on a single lane one I have to cross every day on my way home and yes I do take primary.

No way to avoid it as it's the only entrance onto the Brooklands Estate. Here it is

Thankfully I get to the office pretty early, so traffic is usually light anyway, but that doesn't stop it happening.

Matthames

Über Member
Do you have a google maps link for the roundabout?

Generally for straight ahead you would be in primary on the left lane, unless the markings tell you otherwise. You don't need to be indicating on the approach to the roundabout either, only when you need to exit. If it is a 2 lane roundabout, then you need to be in primary on the outer lane.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
To me that left hand lane looks like left turn only, I only take the left lane when actually turning left. On that roundabout I would be in the right hand land and head straight for the straight on exit. If you take them like you would in a car or motorbike drivers tend to respect it more.

OP
OP
N

NigC

lit said:
Sometimes I wobble the bike a bit to make them seem like I haven't a clue how to balance a bike at a roundabout, you'd be amazed how much they tend to keep back when they see that.

That's not the first time I've heard that suggestion.... I like it ;)

OP
OP
N

NigC

Fluffy said:
To me that left hand lane looks like left turn only, I only take the left lane when actually turning left. On that roundabout I would be in the right hand land and head straight for the straight on exit. If you take them like you would in a car or motorbike drivers tend to respect it more.

But the road is not marked as left turn only and (without checking, I admit) I'm sure the HC defines a 2 lane approach to a roundabout as either lane is used for going straight on. When I drive the route, I'll stay left unless there's a queue indicating left.

The problem is, the HC is that damned book we are forced to try and remember just before we take a driving test. Once we have that licence, it's contents are soon forgotten ;)

Top Bottom