Royal wedding free zone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m no royalist, but the angry abolitionists are pretty naive imo. I think we’ve got the balance of democracy, power and leadership about right here in the UK I don’t want any change to make it more American or French thank you.

Those aren't the only options. Germany has a different system, for example. So does Switzerland. Both balance power, democracy and leadership differently.

It seems to have wound up the racists.
You could be more positive. And see it as a positive message. Which may positively influence millions.

Unless of course you just like winding folk up.

lane

Veteran
Out of interest, can any of the folks who rather proudly told us what they were doing yesterday (and i suspect some watched some of the stuff) tell us if they found anything anything positive in the day's events?

Remember folks, as stated upthread, I am a republican. And would vote for a republic in any referendum.

I didn't see any of it because I genuinely have no interest. My mum thoroughly enjoyed watching it and then went to my sister in laws for a special tea and to talk about the days events - which would have made it a very nice day for her. That's positive.

perplexed

Guru
Those aren't the only options. Germany has a different system, for example. So does Switzerland. Both balance power, democracy and leadership differently.

A common response I get when people know I'm a republican is 'would you like to be like North Korea then? Or, 'What would you prefer, President Blair?'

Usually delivered with a sneer. I can only assume their irony meters are broken. I get blank looks when I suggest North Korea is a pretty poor example of democracy and have pretty much a hereditary head of state. And if you don't like President Blair, whatcha gonna do when he's the boss for 50, 60 years as King Blair...

TVC

You could be more positive. And see it as a positive message. Which may positively influence millions.

Unless of course you just like winding folk up.
Annoying racists is very positive, the inclusiveness of the ceremony is well overdue and it shows the bigots that they are continuing to lose. As for positivrly influencing millions, seeing an inspirational black preacher holding the attention of the great and good of British society has got to give many hope.

If my views wind you up then tough.

Mm perplexed.

I don't think you can claim the queen is "boss".

It is a constitutional monarchy remember.

A long long time ago one had their head chopped off.

Annoying racists is very positive, the inclusiveness of the ceremony is well overdue and it shows the bigots that they are continuing to lose. As for positivrly influencing millions, seeing an inspirational black preacher holding the attention of the great and good of British society has got to give many hope.

If my views wind you up then tough.
You flatter yourself if you think you are winding me up.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Despite the messy preparation, the wedding itself was another bad day for the bitter, envious, sour-faced abolitionists who are still as far away as ever from getting what they want.
I see that the royal wedding free zone has turned into the thread wedding epilogue thread. While I really like that she's not whiter than white - my daughter is mixed race - I was hoping for something less opulent and all pervasive.

I'm not even an abolitionist: other northern European countries have demonstrated that monarchies can be highly adaptable, highly successful with no democratic deficit compared with most republican nations, without the royal family being symbols of indecent equality. My issue, as the UK hiccups its way to ever greater inequality, is that scaling the royal family down to, say, Danish size, would not take anything from the importance of the royalty thing but would help in establishing a more egalitarian nation.

Not even an abolitionist and I still get nothing near what I want....

Top Bottom