Rugby World Cup 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
There are many times when I'm puzzled, too! :-) And I watch this stuff week in and week out. But there's so much being missed / ignored (*) in the RWC that I really do wonder if the powers-that-be have decided this showpiece tournament should be used to drive up the worldwide audience and part of the strategy is to make it much more free-flowing. Certainly the TMO should be picking up some of this stuff.

(*) delete as appropriate

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Wales have won their opening fixture against Georgia, they were 29 nil up at halftime, but drew the second half 14 all.
So not a perfect start, but good enough.

BoMhJT8PQsHG3pOc8FVjHMFRpbQyg29m28jkMxo-cuB9Htbq8l8BikNc4_k-ivWh9SU3Z-8P&_nc_ht=scontent.fosl4-2.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Without looking it up,have Italy played yet? There's hardly been a mention of them. So much so that you could be forgiven for thinking that they didn't qualify. I turned on my telly at 11.30 expecting a match to be on. Not one on ITV,so maybe ITV 4,like yesterday i thought. No, just an episode of 'The Sweeney' to be found unfortunately.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Without looking it up,have Italy played yet? There's hardly been a mention of them. So much so that you could be forgiven for thinking that they didn't qualify. I turned on my telly at 11.30 expecting a match to be on. Not one on ITV,so maybe ITV 4,like yesterday i thought. No, just an episode of 'The Sweeney' to be found unfortunately.

See page 2 of this thread, they're playing Canada tomorrow.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a bit of conspiracy. The refs are letting forward passes, off-sides, blocking, and all sorts of offences go. I can't help but wonder if there's not an intention to try and make the game faster and more flowing so it will appeal to the masses a bit more? These are experienced referees and I can't believe they're not seeing this stuff.
Although I am not in any way involved in rugby, I lurk on the Rugby Refs Forum. The refs there, club and county level, are always distinguishing between their level and showbiz level rugby where many rules are overlooked....

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I'm starting to wonder if there's a bit of conspiracy. The refs are letting forward passes, off-sides, blocking, and all sorts of offences go. I can't help but wonder if there's not an intention to try and make the game faster and more flowing so it will appeal to the masses a bit more? These are experienced referees and I can't believe they're not seeing this stuff.

Although I am not in any way involved in rugby, I lurk on the Rugby Refs Forum. The refs there, club and county level, are always distinguishing between their level and showbiz level rugby where many rules are overlooked....

Materiality and contextual judgement I believe they call it.
I reckon @delb0y has a point there.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Anyway, just settling down to watch the Uruguay v Fiji highlights.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Anyway, just settling down to watch the Uruguay v Fiji highlights.

The "highlights" have been crap. It annoys me when they just show the game with no actual analysis.

Great result for Uruguay, and from what I've seen the "lesser" nations have given a really good account of themselves which is great to see. I don't quite get the angle of reporting that Fiji are going out because of that game though, they were never going to finish any higher than third in their pool.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
The "highlights" have been crap. It annoys me when they just show the game with no actual analysis.

Great result for Uruguay, and from what I've seen the "lesser" nations have given a really good account of themselves which is great to see. I don't quite get the angle of reporting that Fiji are going out because of that game though, they were never going to finish any higher than third in their pool.

The highlight programme does seem to be a hastily thrown together effort. I'm not overly keen on too much talking about these things but as you say a little bit of decent analysis wouldn't have gone amiss.

It was a great result for Uruguay, you could see how much it meant to them from the interviews afterwards, it's good to see a lesser rugby nation get a deserved result for all the effort they must put in. I agree about where Fiji would realistically finish in that group too.

Yes all going as planned, Pumas will likely be a lot tougher given their no.10 world ranking (behind Scotland, surely not?) and they have got all to play for to take that expected 2nd place away from France... you sense there is a shock result about to happen.... great stuff :bravo:

Top Bottom