Rugby World Cup 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I've not seen it yet (recorded it as I am in work) but I assume they've wheeled dear old Clive and Johnny out of their storage cupboard, and went straight to an advert between the anthems and kick off

Absolutely awful coverage from a channel that should stick to No Pants Ant and Dec Island

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
I've not seen it yet (recorded it as I am in work) but I assume they've wheeled dear old Clive and Johnny out of their storage cupboard, and went straight to an advert between the anthems and kick off

Absolutely awful coverage from a channel that should stick to No Pants Ant and Dec Island

Watched it on mute at work, so no idea of pundits, but spot on about the adverts. Annoyingly they've got the rights for the next one too. Very poor from the BBC only having it on the radio I think, particularly with all the home nations (and Ireland) having a realistic chance of doing well.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Is there anyone other than me around here interested in it i ask? I mention it and they don't seem to know it's on.:rolleyes: If the games were being played in our evening time it'd gain more interest,but obviously they can't be,so i can't see folk getting up very early,or taking time off work to watch the early morning and mid to late morning kick offs. I'll be watching NZ v SA later today. It's like a knock out match more than a pool match. I'm not really clued up about rugby union rules on and off the field,even though i've watched all the world cups since England hosted it in 1991(I still have my 'Cotton Traders' England jersey from that tournament!),so i have a question. Why have probably the 2 favourites been drawn in the same pool/group? This wouldn't happen in football.

Last edited:

delb0y

Legendary Member
Looking forward to it - hence being up at 5:15 for this morning's matches. But looking forward to this afternoon more, when the proper club rugby season commences. That's far more important.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@Accy cyclist The draw for the pools was made in May 2017 when South Africa were crap, I think they were as low as 7th in the world. This out them toward the bottom of the second band and meant they could have faced any of the top 4 ranked teams (there are only 4 pools). England arguably have the toughest pool.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Cracking game between France and Argentina. France were France and only really played for a half, Argentina really stepped up in the second half and some great drama at the end of the match.

Penaud is an excellent player, but what he was thinking jumping over the top for the penalty that nearly won Argentina the game I will never know.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Is there anyone other than me around here interested in it i ask? I mention it and they don't seem to know it's on.:rolleyes: If the games were being played in our evening time it'd gain more interest,but obviously they can't be,so i can't see folk getting up very early,or taking time off work to watch the early morning and mid to late morning kick offs. I'll be watching NZ v SA later today. It's like a knock out match more than a pool match. I'm not really clued up about rugby union rules on and off the field,even though i've watched all the world cups since England hosted it in 1991(I still have my 'Cotton Traders' England jersey from that tournament!),so i have a question. Why have probably the 2 favourites been drawn in the same pool/group? This wouldn't happen in football.

Is there much interest generally in the game in Accrington @Accy cyclist? I haven't seen any advertising for the tournament around Newcastle or Sunderland so if I wasn't a rugby fan I wouldn't have known about it. And if the game I'm watching now (Italy v Namibia) was the first match I'd stumbled across I'd probably not bother with it, the commentators sound utterly disinterested.

Personally I think it would be better in football that the 'big' international sides were drawn against each other more often early doors. It might restore some of my waning interest in the international game.

Anyway, nice to see Namibia giving a decent account of themselves, though I do wonder if having part timers play is entirely wise. I know it's important from a development perspective, but in a game as physically demanding as rugby I feel it could be dangerous.

Huge game for us against Ireland coming up, I think it's going to be very tight but I reckon we will edge it. I just hope Barnes doesn't make it all about him.

Heigue'r

Veteran
C'mom Ireland:popcorn::popcorn:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Is there much interest generally in the game in Accrington @Accy cyclist?

If there is it's not much in evidence! They don't put flags out like they do when it's a football world cup. I suppose rugby league would be more likely to be supported round here and even then not much so. People who don't normally watch or even like football get all exited about footy world cups and Euro championships, but not for rugby union world cups. As i said before, if the matches were on tv in our evening time and they disrupted the usual soap and 'reality tv' crap folk might watch them. I'd also like to say that i wouldn't watch a rugby league world cup because the winners are usually so predictable and rugby league isn't much of a world wide game like union is.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On about interest in the RWC, i watched part of the 1995 one while on holiday in Falmouth Cornwall. There was a lot of interest in it down there, but it is the area's favoured sport over football.

Last edited:
Top Bottom