Rule No#5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adehooper

I was listening away to the very entertaining Cyclistpod Podcast the other evening and the discussion once again came around to the Velominati's Rule's No#5 and 20, now I was just wondering how many of us need to take note and do as the rule states? I ask this because of late I've been out on a few group rides and the moment the weather became anything more than a little drizzle or a slight breeze everyone wants to head to the nearest cafe or worse still head home, the great big bunch of wussie's that they are.
Am I the only one in my local set that's a bad ass? Do I need to find harder cycling buddies?
Discuss????........
This should open a big can of worms and out all the pussie wussie part time riders out there? 😁🤣😄

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
I was listening away to the very entertaining Cyclistpod Podcast the other evening and the discussion once again came around to the Velominati's Rule's No#5 and 20, now I was just wondering how many of us need to take note and do as the rule states? I ask this because of late I've been out on a few group rides and the moment the weather become anything more than a little drizzle or a slight breeze everyone wants to head to the nearest cafe or worse still head home, the great big bunch of wussie's that they are.
Am I the only one in my local set that's a bad ass? Do I need to find harder cycling buddies?
Discuss????........
This should open a big can of worms and out all the pussie wussie part time riders out there? 😁🤣😄
People won't think you're some kind of brilliant hard case they'll just think you're mad. People should cycle the way they want to cycle. Need to have fun. Unless you're a pro.

OP
OP
adehooper

adehooper

People should cycle the way they want to cycle. Need to have fun. Unless you're a pro.

I always have fun, but I like try and make an effort, can't see the point otherwise 😁

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
See also rule 9... "If you're out riding in bad weather, you're badass, period".
I concur. I don't always seek to do it, but if I'm out and it gets bad, I quite enjoy the misery in a perverse way. If I see riders in foul conditions and I'm in a car, they get an imaginary forelock tug. "Chapeau, mon braves".

No one says you have to pay any credence to the rules of course, some of them are downright stupid, but some of them are not a bad guideline. And they're amusing.

Milzy

Guru
I always have fun, but I like try and make an effort, can't see the point otherwise 😁
Many of us on here feel the dangerous are higher in bad weather. Some have to commute. We have a big indoor smart trainer following for bad weather days :smile:

I was listening away to the very entertaining Cyclistpod Podcast the other evening and the discussion once again came around to the Velominati's Rule's No#5 and 20, now I was just wondering how many of us need to take note and do as the rule states? I ask this because of late I've been out on a few group rides and the moment the weather became anything more than a little drizzle or a slight breeze everyone wants to head to the nearest cafe or worse still head home, the great big bunch of wussie's that they are.
Discuss????........

Oh look another one of those threads where the op says if you don't do things my way, then you are doing it wrong:wacko:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Decades of cycle commuting means I don't let a bit of rain or a breeze bother me. Any time I've jumped in the car rather than ridden I've regreted it. It nothing to do with being a badass, it's just what I prefer. Besides I have shock horror mudguards and other such things fitted so don't get the badger stripe of honour of the mudguardless.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Everyone knows ‘the rules’ are a joke, right?
Sshh! You'll spoil the fun.

johnblack

Über Member
I think the only rules that I definitely remember are two that I actually do anyway, which are that sunglass arms should be on the outside of your helmet straps and something about not putting a bike on top of your car (mines always transported inside). Oh and the one about ankle socks and sleeveless tops.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm years past the time when I feel the need to prove my virility. I did all the hardman stuff over 21 years as a ruffy-tuffy mountain biker, out in mud and rain all year round, daylight or dark, then coming home and stripping off filthy wet kit in the freezing garage. Cycling is meant to be enjoyable and nowadays I plan rides for quality not quantity.

OP
OP
adehooper

adehooper

Decades of cycle commuting means I don't let a bit of rain or a breeze bother me. Any time I've jumped in the car rather than ridden I've regreted it. It nothing to do with being a badass, it's just what I prefer. Besides I have shock horror mudguards and other such things fitted so don't get the badger stripe of honour of the mudguardless.
Nothing wrong with the badger stripe of honour, shows you're a badass 🤣😀

Top Bottom