Rule No#5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

See also rule 9... "If you're out riding in bad weather, you're badass, period".
I concur. I don't always seek to do it, but if I'm out and it gets bad, I quite enjoy the misery in a perverse way. If I see riders in foul conditions and I'm in a car, they get an imaginary forelock tug. "Chapeau, mon braves".

No one says you have to pay any credence to the rules of course, some of them are downright stupid, but some of them are not a bad guideline. And they're amusing.

My last couple of rides were done under rule 9, and I've done a lot of rides under rule 9 this winter. ^_^

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I rode over 1000km in January. In Denmark its a good milestone.

Im just Yorkshire hard ^_^🇩🇰

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You are not 'sparking some lively debate' because the debate has already been burning for weeks in the other similar threads on the same subject! :okay:
I think you mean "years, and at tedious length".

It's usually those who proclaim their masculinity loudest who fold first when things get tough. And who forget that rather more than half the population either has no masculinity to flaunt or who find it completely unnecessary to flaunt theirs.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm years past the time when I feel the need to prove my virility. I did all the hardman stuff over 21 years as a ruffy-tuffy mountain biker, out in mud and rain all year round, daylight or dark, then coming home and stripping off filthy wet kit in the freezing garage. Cycling is meant to be enjoyable and nowadays I plan rides for quality not quantity.

I'm weird, I've gone the opposite way. Then again, I'm really considering if tomorrow's planned ride is a good idea given how wet it is.

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
A friend of mine went into the hills today, he's retired. Always out in all weather's. His back wheel spinning in snow. It's just not worth the risk. All these bad ass folk get dropped by the indoor trainer gang in the summer.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
^I've seen Rule5 being used in almost a bullying way to get people out who are clearly nervous about riding in the particular weather that day, usually ice.

Doesn't replace shredded kit or skin and pay for time off work etc due to injury

Everyone knows ‘the rules’ are a joke, right?
Yes

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I've been most tempted to make rule 5 recommendations by the seeming interminable threads about how to keep your hands or feet warm and dry during bike rides.
"Skin's waterproof, dries quickly, and as for the temperature, rule 5!"

There's an occasional person with actual Reynauds, but mostly people are just nesh.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
^I've seen Rule5 being used in almost a bullying way to get people out who are clearly nervous about riding in the particular weather that day, usually ice.

Doesn't replace shredded kit or skin and pay for time off work etc due to injury

Exactly. No MTB with ICE tyres, no ride. 400 spikes in each tyre should do it.

See also rule 9... "If you're out riding in bad weather, you're badass, period".
I concur. I don't always seek to do it, but if I'm out and it gets bad, I quite enjoy the misery in a perverse way. If I see riders in foul conditions and I'm in a car, they get an imaginary forelock tug. "Chapeau, mon braves".

No one says you have to pay any credence to the rules of course, some of them are downright stupid, but some of them are not a bad guideline. And they're amusing.

I self-deprecate about #9 to others
Doubtless as we all do to none riding family/friends/workmates??

Presumably they were written by Americans, & in some of the warmer/more temperate States?

Andy Hampsten was certainly bad-ass in the '88 Giro
(Gavia Pass)

Yes, on some days, I do echo Mints thoughts
(it's also the lock-screen on my iPhone)

Top Bottom