Rule No#5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tell that to Laura Kenny - after today's crash at the track worlds she looked like she had done 3 rounds with Mile Tyson and then got kicked in the face by Bruce Lee! :eek:

Quite impressive :notworthy:

But it was all indoors in the warm. And she only finished 12th :whistle:

Doc Hutch in 'Cycling Weekly' commented that not using mudguards make it appear that it was fun to have what looked like explosive diarrhoea up your back

Doubtless, you can tell which side of the fence I'm on, for commuting/year-round use/day-to-day

Seriously though, there was an article a while ago, concerning a MTBer(?) that had contracted E-Coli
It was thought that it was due to riding mudguard-less through farmland, & spraying himself in the mouth from the tyres
See;
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/mud-guards-full-or-half.225863/post-5018905

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Seriously though, there was an article a while ago, concerning a MTBer(?) that had contracted E-Coli.

It was thought that it was due to riding mudguard-less through farmland, & spraying himself in the mouth from the tyres
Another risk is getting stuff in your eyes. I rode through a deep puddle on a mudguard-less bike and my front wheel threw gritty puddle water up into my face. Quite a lot of it actually got under my cycling glasses and into my eyes, scratching them. One eye closed up completely and the other ended up half-closed. I had to ride 30 kms home very slowly, barely able to see.

I have no idea how pros manage to ride in a big bunch in bad weather without getting blinded by spray!

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's quite a serious matter. On tours with wet stages I've noticed that tummy trouble isn't uncommon amongst riders, I guess from ingesting dirty water thrown up by the rider in front.

I certainly couldn't ride without my close-fitting glasses to protect my eyes from dust and wheel spray and occasional insects.

Drago

Legendary Member
I would far rather ride on a mildly warm spring day, bit as we only get one of those every 3 years I just grin and bear it.

People won't ride in the crap weather, and that's fine, I really couldn't care less what other people get up to. That said, when they whittle about it I won't reply by saying "there there" and give them a cuddle, which seems to upset some of them.

We're an island in the Atlantic, 52 odd degrees north. If I let the weather dictate my life I'd never leave the house.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Everyone knows ‘the rules’ are a joke, right?
It's quite a subtle humour, with elements of truth about cycling culture.

Absolutely. I always enjoy reading them. Cyclists sending themselves up and as said above with an element of truth. People surely recognize that??

Anyone taking the rules seriously or using them in anything but a jocular fashion needs to sit down and have a long hard think.

Occassionaly I quote them to my non-cycling friends and it always raises a smile.

#43 😄

PaulSB

Legendary Member
All these bad ass folk get dropped by the indoor trainer gang in the summer.

I would disagree with this view. I have a lot of friends who stay on the trainer for at least three months, some longer. With one exception they struggle towards the end of a long ride for several weeks in spring.

I've only used a trainer when coming back from illness which prevented me from cycling. It helped. I used to do cycle specific spin classes which definitely were a great supplement to winter riding.

For me there's no substitute for winter riding. I'm not #9 it's just what I do and believe to be right for me. The core of my group feel the same.

Last edited:

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Doc Hutch in 'Cycling Weekly' commented that not using mudguards make it appear that it was fun to have what looked like explosive diarrhoea up your back

Doubtless, you can tell which side of the fence I'm on, for commuting/year-round use/day-to-day

Seriously though, there was an article a while ago, concerning a MTBer(?) that had contracted E-Coli
See;
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/mud-guards-full-or-half.225863/post-5018905
I had exactly the same about 25 years ago, I believe it was due to a spatter (water bottle) from a farmyard I rode through, I lost so much weight in a matter of days and lost the lining of my lower intestines ( it eventually grew back) I have never been so ill, it lasted weeks and weeks, I was so weak. I couldnt have any dairy products for at least 3 months as my body could not process it, I have drunk black coffee since.
If I remember correctly I lost 1.5 stone in weight the first weekend and more after, this was due to dehydration, it is the first and only time i sat on a toilet and cried like a baby

Drago

Legendary Member
Tell that to Laura Kenny - after today's crash at the track worlds she looked like she had done 3 rounds with Mile Tyson and then got kicked in the face by Bruce Lee! :eek:
She's got some stones - once she'd been stitched up she was back on the bike and completed the event. Took some grit to do that.

For me there's no substitute for winter riding. I'm not #9 it's just what I do and believe to be right for me. The core of my group feel the same.

Absolutely. No point working on your fitness only to find you've done nothing to maintain your roadcraft, racecraft, and control skills - only time on tarmac can do all of those things.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If I let the weather dictate my life I'd never leave the house.
No; you would probably have to find a cycling forum to post on instead.
38500 posts in less than 8 years, that should be enough to keep you indoors for a while :laugh:.

Anyway, at the risk of being repetitive, here's a link from during the week. Riding in real bad conditions isn't "badass", it's stupidity (assuming you have no alternative). I admit Tuesday's ride was stupid; absolutely nothing badass about it.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
To those that are worrying about "the rules" encouraging people out into snow and dangerous conditions... No, it's not about that.

The "badass" rule is just a little smile and pat on the back from a humourous cyclist writer for those brave souls out in the rain, or the cold from another cyclist. Nothing more than that.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Cycling is not compulsory ( unless you are a pro) but about being sensible ( which I am) and not foolish ( which I am not) . Why take risks in bad weather for the sake of a few more miles? There is always tomorrow. Fitness is only important if you are an athlete otherwise it doesn't take long to get it back when the weather improves. He/she, who is wise, will live to ride another day.

Top Bottom