Rule No#5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I would far rather ride on a mildly warm spring day, bit as we only get one of those every 3 years I just grin and bear it.

People won't ride in the crap weather, and that's fine, I really couldn't care less what other people get up to. That said, when they whittle about it I won't reply by saying "there there" and give them a cuddle, which seems to upset some of them.

We're an island in the Atlantic, 52 odd degrees north. If I let the weather dictate my life I'd never leave the house.

Don‘t worry the Fire Brigade are on their way with arm bands so they can rescue you from your flooded basement. They apologise it’s taken 30 years to get to you.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I make my own rules, or rule singular to be exact as there is only one.

Rule 1: I do whatever I want.

That's all bases covered :okay:

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Rule #1: write your own rules. (Which I see Smokin Joe has just covered.) I did my first end-to-end in the middle of winter, which was, on reflexion, kind of stupid. While stupid often turns out to be fun, that wasn’t one of those times; but it did indeed H me TFU.

I have shock horror mudguards and other such things fitted so don't get the badger stripe of honour of the mudguardless.

Forget mudguards, I need heavy earth moving equipment just to get my bike down our driveway – actually a bridleway, but someone was silly enough to build a house at the end of it.

YmHLPAn.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would disagree with this view. I have a lot of friends who stay on the trainer for at least three months, some longer. With one exception they struggle towards the end of a long ride for several weeks in spring.

I've only used a trainer when coming back from illness which prevented me from cycling. It helped. I used to do cycle specific spin classes which definitely were a great supplement to winter riding.
I did one winter of seriously hard*** turbo training and it got me to the fittest that I have ever been.

This winter I have done virtually nothing on the road AND virtually nothing on the trainer either... getting my fitness back is going to be hard work!

*** Where 'seriously hard' was EITHER 2 to 3 hours at the hardest level that I could sustain OR intervals so hard that I was close to vomiting and couldn't walk upstairs afterwards. I sweated so much that my turbo trainer rusted through in 3 months! (Of course, I wiped the trainer down after each session but I didn't think to do the underside of it where lots of corrosive sweat had gathered.)

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
On my way back from Anglesey just now, I drove through heavy rain and heavy winds and asked my wife: " who would want to ride a bike in weather like this?" Her reply was: " Only an idiot would. "

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
On my way back from Anglesey just now, I drove through heavy rain and heavy winds and asked my wife: " who would want to ride a bike in weather like this?" Her reply was: " Only an idiot would. "

How much does she cycle?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
There's nothing wrong with riding in rain. Sometimes it can be quite pleasant.
But when it's absolutely belting down to the point that you can't see where you're going, that's just stupid.
Likewise with wind. If it can blow you off balance then it's best avoided.
In the kind of cold that freezes your fingers that's also a bit silly as those same fingers keep you attached to the bike and work the brakes.
I read the rules once. Laughed my spoke nipples off.

Milzy

Guru
It's more bad ass to set up a brutal 200 tss workout on the smart trainer with little rest breaks than to battle through the wind & rain with freezing cold muscles & not really getting any efficient fitness gains.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There are two types of people who go out in bad weather: Those who want a medal for being "badass", and those who ... er ... don't.

Top Bottom