saddle sore - what cream?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

77spud

i'm off to the states on thursday to do a charity ride, we'll have 10 days in a row. i've been told it is worth getting some kind of cream in case of soreness in the saddle & round the crutch. any recommendations would be appreciated.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sudocrem is my recommendation

Qoleum antifriction cream. Think I got it from the PBK web-site cos it was on special offer - but it's been brilliant.

As a starter for 10, I always look on wiggle's web-site at all the reviews. Often reviewers raise issues you haven't even thought about (eg: cream too thin, too thick, doesn't wash out well, ok for 3 hours but not effective after that etc. etc.)

Tynan

Veteran
sudocreams works ok, spec for after the ride, but it's going to be big miles/hours, assos cream, it seems expensive but it lasts for ever

prevention better than cure is the watchword on this one!

and make sure your saddle and position is right before you do the ten days

good pair of proper padded shorts, bib if poss

Tynan said:
prevention better than cure is the watchword on this one!

and make sure your saddle and position is right before you do the ten days

good pair of proper padded shorts, bib if poss

It is much better not to get a sore bum in the first place - as Tynan says above saddle and position plus a pair of padded preferably bib shorts that suit you - do not have to be Assos - but it can be a matter of luck finding what does suit you best - then keep them clean!

I do at least 2 rides a year of 20 - 30 days continuous and very very rarely get a sore bum even in very hot weather (normally do something stupid on first day like not changing into shorts for ride away from the airport) I never use any sort of creme when on the bike - a couple of experiments with cremes various makes me think that for me they may actually encourage a poorly bum.

Shorts are always washed as often as practical - I find a dusting of medicated talc on the padding before I put them on completes the prevention side

Crankarm

Guru
Savlon.

Vaseline doesn't have any antibacterial or anti-septic properties. When I used it briefly it was ok at first then caused nasty sores. Went to see doc. Doc said stop using it, as it is not suitable for the kind of use I was putting it to. Vaseline traps sweat and bacteria. Try Savlon instead. I have and it works for me. Apply Savlon on a clean under carriage area before you go to sleep. Soaks in over night. You can apply just before riding, but I'm not keen on the slippy feeling in my groin whilst cycling.

Haven't tried the other creams mentioned.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Crankarm said:
Savlon.

Vaseline doesn't have any antibacterial or anti-septic properties. When I used it briefly it was ok at first then caused nasty sores. Went to see doc. Doc said stop using it, as it is not suitable for the kind of use I was putting it to. Vaseline traps sweat and bacteria. Try Savlon instead. I have and it works for me. Apply Savlon on a clean under carriage area before you go to sleep. Soaks in over night. You can apply just before riding, but I'm not keen on the slippy feeling in my groin whilst cycling.

Haven't tried the other creams mentioned.

have you read the link? have you read her quals? vaseline has natural antiseptic properties...i think

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Savlon don't work for me. not to put too finer a point on it, but it ferments....

Assos minty arse lard is the business. Good before riding. good during riding. good after riding. Sudocrem works for after riding, but its a bit greasy for during ime
A mate of mine swears by the Udderly Smooth stuff so that might e worth a go

Crankarm

Guru
bromptonfb said:
have you read the link? have you read her quals? vaseline has natural antiseptic properties...i think

I have a pot infront of me. Vaseline - Pure petroleum jelly. No mention of anti-bacterial or anti-septic properties. I am sure that if it did then they would mention it.

Anyway I use Vaseline - petroleum jelly for my lips, end of nose and very very light smearing on face generally. It's pretty good in this department (for me). Always apply it after washing and fully drying face though. For hands I use Vaseline Hand lotion intensive care, the stuff that comes in the pink bottle. It's fecking brilliant. Tried all other hand creams. None comes close to this stuff. My biggest disappointment was Nutrogena :biggrin:.

Top Bottom