Saddle Sore

Psyclist

Über Member
Not sure where to place this, so decide to ask here (mods if you know a more relevant section feel free to move it :thumbsup: )

Just wondering how to defeat saddle sore. I've just got back on a bike for the first time in nine months and have done 30 miles in two days and the feeling is like having bruises on my backside when I sit on the saddle. I have a Charge Spoon and felt the pain after a 15 mile ride yesterday. No padded undershorts, just boxers and some shorts (just to give some insight into finding the problem)

Could it be that I just need to get used to it? Or need padded undershorts?? I've already altered the seatpost height and bar height etc. so I'm sure it's not that.

Thanks.

Crosstrailer

You will get used to it, usually when I get onto the bike it hurts like heck for about 5-10 mins but then fades away. I wear the same setup as you but my brother got some padded shorts yesterday and said they made a massive difference

MissyR

padded shorts all the way!!! I could never last more than 8 miles without the extra padding :ohmy:

Fubar

Legendary Member
+1 on padded shorts, or for an extra thrill try padded undercrackers without any underwear :hyper:! Honest, sounds weird but that's how you're supposed to wear them - also stops any awkward "chaffing" :thumbsup:

Berties

Fast and careful!
get a good pair of padded shorts from a local bike shop ,to make sure they fit correctly,the saddle will take time to bed in to your back side so expect a modicum of discomfort for a couple of weeks,if you get actual saddle sore i.e. chaffing try a chamois cream prior to riding,ensure you are sat in the saddle correctly and ride on,
good luck

OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Thanks for the replies people :thumbsup:. I plan on getting some padded shorts a.s.a.p. I'll rest my sit bones for a day, then carry on riding the bike and see how it goes from there.

RAYMOND

Its all down to the seat, most road bikes have a slim seat which means you need some padding.
I wear padded and don't suffer apart from a little ache,but a few seconds riding out of the saddle sorts that.