Saddle Sore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Just an update, I rested for a day and after another 15 mile ride today, my sit bones aren't sore anymore. I'll still invest in some padded shorts too.

Alex.

defy-one

Another trick is to get off the saddle at traffic lights. i.e standing over the cross bar. Gives your whole body a quick break

Another vote for padded shorts, but I'm going to get controversial and say swap the saddle too!

I have a spoon on my fixed and it's fine, buy it only gets ridden relatively short distances that don't even require me to wear padded shorts.

I recently put a spoon on my Cannondale, and it damn near killed me on a recent 60 miler, I hated it, so it's gone now :smile:

Don't believe all the spoon hype, yes it's a great saddle for the money, and is fine in certain circumstances IME, but as with any other saddle in the world, it definitely ain't for everyone.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
When I started I had a big problem with bruising. Someone said to me give it hell for a week, then stay off the bike for a week and it'll go. I laughed, then tried it, and it worked!

Get some padding though. The spoon will be fine.

MissyR

Padded shorts cause their own problems, especially on long rides.
Few people used them in the past so give it time.

Whatever next, cycling socks !
Yes I have those too! I call them my "lucky go faster" socks :biggrin:

roseparkk

Padded shorts are the way to go for longer rides. They reduce chafing and if that doesn't fix the problem I'd consider giving chamois cream a shot. Keep in mind that there are different quality chamois pads, try springing for the more expensive pad if you can. It really makes a difference i.e. different densitys. All in all, the best way to reduce being sore is spending as much time in the saddle as you can and making sure you are fit properly.

Widge

Baldy Go
'SOMEWHERE'.....is the right saddle for you! However....finding it is another matter! I too read all the hype about 'The Spoon' and fitted one to my new road bike a couple of weeks ago....but ooer, missus!...it didn't do it for me. Meanwhile some £5.00 wonder I dragged from a LBS bargain basket 15 years ago works a treat. Go figure?

Other than that-padded shorts or rule 5! :smile:

w

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
'SOMEWHERE'.....is the right saddle for you! However....finding it is another matter! I too read all the hype about 'The Spoon' and fitted one to my new road bike a couple of weeks ago....but ooer, missus!...it didn't do it for me. Meanwhile some £5.00 wonder I dragged from a LBS bargain basket 15 years ago works a treat. Go figure?

Other than that-padded shorts or rule 5! :smile:

w

I've gotten use to the saddle already now :thumbsup: My sit bones aren't sore anymore, but I could do with a little padding for the longer rides. I'm going to put it down to the fact I hadn't rode for 9 months.

P.S; thanks for the tips to everybody who replied.

Alex.

Top Bottom