Saddlebag thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I thought that Bagman support was deemed necessary because without it the bag would swing quite a lot. Maybe I am wrong and I could use the Viva bag loops, are they strong enough to carry any sort of weight? Going on looks alone they seem to be quite thin and not up to the job, maybe I am thinking that everything I'll be carrying will weigh a ton. The saddle I have is an old San Marco Rolls, the loops will fit to that ok won't they?

Failing all that I would go for the Prima Maxi that the other person suggested, not completely waterproof but not badly made, a good size and not too bad on price either.

I carry my commuting stuff on the Viva loops with nary a thought, they've stood up to it so far. If you don't want to spring for those, you can use zip ties, loop the straps around your saddle rails, or any number of bodges & hacks. I'd only shell out for a bagman if you couldn't get on with any of those. I notice you're fairly near to me (Crewe) - you'd be more than welcome to have a look at the bag loops/bag if you want to reassure yourself.

buddha

Veteran
I have an older version of the Topeak Wedge bag - Large.
It's good enough for tools, tubes and a waterproof and maybe a little food (flapjack or two), but not much else. So probably not big enough for a proper day ride. Don't go for the clip mounting bag (like I did, it will break). The strap version you linked to is better.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The existing bag loops on the Rolls will be fine. Make sure the buckles go inside the bag, I have Nelson that doesnt swing - but it does sag a bit.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
Where can you get the bag loops from in the UK? I have gone through the list of official Velo dealers and can't find what I am looking for.

Whereabouts in Crewe are you? I am up near Leighton Hospital and I could probably drop by sometime over the weekend if that's ok.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Where can you get the bag loops from in the UK? I have gone through the list of official Velo dealers and can't find what I am looking for.
I got mine from Velo Orange in the US, along with some other bits I wanted;

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/viva-bag-loops.html

The Cyclo Loops are a readily available alternative, although (only heard this anecdotally) not as strong;
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b5s73p1045

Whereabouts in Crewe are you? I am up near Leighton Hospital and I could probably drop by sometime over the weekend if that's ok.

Slightly out of Crewe, in Haslington. How are you fixed on Sundays? I'd be riding the ViVa equipped bike that day anyway, and could make a detour...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I have found some on eBay, Practical Cycles, not listed on their website.

£14.99 + £0.70 p+p, what do you think, a good price or too close to the basic Bagaman? It saves the fuss of international shipping, Velo Orange won't tell me how much until AFTER I order it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...31#ht_500wt_922

Seriously, try the bag without & see what you think first. If you don't like bodging an attachment, buy the loops.

FWIW, Carradice stuff seems to hold its value, you could probably eBay the lot if you don't get on with it & not lose much.

(BTW, my Velo Orange order was $17.50 incl. shipping, fwiw).

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I'll have a think about it and hold off until I have seen it in action on your bike. Sunday should be fine. PM me and I will get back to you later, I have to go out now but should be back within the hour
wave.gif

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'll have a think about it and hold off until I have seen it in action on your bike. Sunday should be fine. PM me and I will get back to you later, I have to go out now but should be back within the hour
wave.gif

Sorry, no chance to send a PM 'til this morning.

Another thought, the Pendle doesn't have loops on top (you can put straps through those to attach a waterproof, or anything really, they're quite handy). The Barley (smaller) and the Nelson (larger) both do.

nightoff

I have a Carradice Camper Longflap with a Bagman Expedition QR.

I wasn't overly impressed with the finish initially. The bags are hand made and to be honest they look it. It isn't perfectly symmetrical and hangs slightly to one side. In use however, it is fantastic.

It holds all my commuting stuff comfortably and keeps everything bone dry, even in the heaviest of downpours. I don't notice any of the imperfections in the finish anymore. I just see the best bag I have ever bought which performs beautifully.

All in all, it's a great bag. I just don't know if it's worth the money. If it's still hanging off my bike of choice in 25 years time then it will have been worth every penny.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
If it's still hanging off my bike of choice in 25 years time then it will have been worth every penny.

If it breaks after 25 years, you can contact Carradice and get another. They offer a lifetime warranty, thought they might think 25 years is a lifetime.
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have a Carradice Camper Longflap with a Bagman Expedition QR.

I wasn't overly impressed with the finish initially. The bags are hand made and to be honest they look it. It isn't perfectly symmetrical and hangs slightly to one side. In use however, it is fantastic.

It holds all my commuting stuff comfortably and keeps everything bone dry, even in the heaviest of downpours. I don't notice any of the imperfections in the finish anymore. I just see the best bag I have ever bought which performs beautifully.

All in all, it's a great bag. I just don't know if it's worth the money. If it's still hanging off my bike of choice in 25 years time then it will have been worth every penny.

What is your experience of using the Bagman with the QR? I have heard of people having problems with the springs and the grub screws although the screws can be replaced with allen bolts apparently.how far does the Bagman place the bag? It probably depends on the saddle and how far you sit forward I suppose.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Comparing an 11 litre Carradice Pendle with a 1.5 litre Topeak bag seems a bit strange, you'll either have much more space than you need or not enough?
Have a look at the Topeak Dynapack DX or there are numerous solutions from Rixen & Kaul in their Klickfix range although some may only be available from abroad.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I think the attachment system might be a bit flimsy, as with a lot of the QR systems. I am definitely leaning towards the Carradice Prima Maxi, at 7 or so litres it isn't a bad size for day rides and if I feel I need bigger I would go for a Longflap saddlebag or something similar, keeping the smaller one for leisure. They are told to be shower proof but not completely watertight, apparently they suffer from tyre crud and grime, not a problem as I roadracer MK2 mudguards fitted
smile.gif

Top Bottom