Saddlebag thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
What is your experience of using the Bagman with the QR? I have heard of people having problems with the springs and the grub screws although the screws can be replaced with allen bolts apparently.how far does the Bagman place the bag? It probably depends on the saddle and how far you sit forward I suppose.

I've got two.

The one on the work bike, mostly used with a Pendle, is one of the early versions, and I did have problems with the support coming out of the saddle rail clamp. I fixed it by putting a dimple in the sides of the rod with a dremel, dropping a ball bearing down the hole, then screwing the loctited grub screw back in. I used a ball bearing because it should be harder wearing than the end of the grub screw, and it would self-centre if the dimple wasn't in quite the right place. It's not shown any signs of moving since.

The other is a fairly recent model (13 months ago, ish), used with a Camper Longflap (usually heavily loaded) or a Nelson Longflap on the touring bike. That hasn't given any problems so far.
I don't find any particular effect on the handling provided that I keep my bum on the saddle. If I get out of the saddle and rock the bike, the weight tends to keep the bike going and needs a bit of a pull to stop it. It doesn't take long to learn to step from side to side rather than rock the bike.
On a rough track with a heavy bag, there is a fair amount of bounce from the springy support - enough to move the outside end of the support by about 4". Not really noticeable, but apparently looks fascinating to other riders.

Bagman and Camper Longflap with weekend camping gear.

DSCF0833.jpg

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have just back from the local bike shop and the guy there who I asked about what bags they had, they have Carradice mini/midi in stock, and he gave me a good word about the Prima Maxi and also the larger sized ones like the Longflap. He doesn't keep the large ones in stock but he can order them and the Bagman supports in for me if I want but he doesn't have an idea of the price, I'd assume he would charge more than the online retailers but I am not sure how much.

He said the Maxi was a good size and I could fit pretty much anything in there for a day ride. He thinks he can get them in next week for around £22.50, worth paying the extra for buying from a local shop?

roubaix murry

DOH, This thread is going to cost me money.:ohmy:
Me and some mates are doing the C2C in may and instead of the option of expensive luggage moving service have decided to carry our stuff with us. As I use my rucksack for my commute at the moment was thinking of just using that but know pretty much decided on Carridice sqr tour. Just wanted to know if any owners of this product could tell me what they get in it?
Is it good for say a pair of trainers, couple of t shirts, shorts and socks???

Cheers

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Trainers will be the problem - most footwear is fairly bulky these days.
I'd recommend something without lots of padding, and which doesn't mind being squashed flat. Something like gym pumps?

I use SPD sandals and no separate evening footwear.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
It's definitely going to be the Lowsaddle Longflap for me I think. After seeing it on John's bike and trying out how it'd fit on mine it looks to be the perfect one, just the right size as well, having never seen one before I hadn't a clue of their actual size.

Annoyingly though they are in stock at Wiggle for once but I have left myself short after buying that Topeak pump yesterday
angry.gif

I guess I'll have to wait until Friday to buy the saddlebag.

nightoff

What is your experience of using the Bagman with the QR? I have heard of people having problems with the springs and the grub screws although the screws can be replaced with allen bolts apparently.how far does the Bagman place the bag? It probably depends on the saddle and how far you sit forward I suppose.

I have had no problems with the Bagman. I check the grub screws as part of my general maintenance anyway.
I think the grub screws are beefier than they used to be when the Bagman was first launched. The rail also has a cut out which the grub screw goes into which helps to keep things secure.

You will need about 15mm of saddle rail behind the saddle clamp to fit the Bagman clamp. If you like your seat forward this may be a problem.

The other thing to be careful of is the clearance to the back tyre. I have a 59cm frame with about 210mm from the top of the seat tube clamp to the saddle rails. This holds the saddle bag about 80mm above my back tyre. If you have a smaller frame and lower seat, check your clearances.

The QR element of the Bagman works really well. It only takes a few seconds to remove the bag. The longest part is undoing the buckle on the bag.

TBH though, I usually leave the whole thing on the bike.

Before I bought this bag I had the SQR slim. I changed because I didn't trust my carbon seatpost with the SQR clamp.

nightoff

I've got two.

The one on the work bike, mostly used with a Pendle, is one of the early versions, and I did have problems with the support coming out of the saddle rail clamp. I fixed it by putting a dimple in the sides of the rod with a dremel, dropping a ball bearing down the hole, then screwing the loctited grub screw back in. I used a ball bearing because it should be harder wearing than the end of the grub screw, and it would self-centre if the dimple wasn't in quite the right place. It's not shown any signs of moving since.

The other is a fairly recent model (13 months ago, ish), used with a Camper Longflap (usually heavily loaded) or a Nelson Longflap on the touring bike. That hasn't given any problems so far.
I don't find any particular effect on the handling provided that I keep my bum on the saddle. If I get out of the saddle and rock the bike, the weight tends to keep the bike going and needs a bit of a pull to stop it. It doesn't take long to learn to step from side to side rather than rock the bike.
On a rough track with a heavy bag, there is a fair amount of bounce from the springy support - enough to move the outside end of the support by about 4". Not really noticeable, but apparently looks fascinating to other riders.

Bagman and Camper Longflap with weekend camping gear.

DSCF0833.jpg

Nice set up. What do you use the orange thing tied to the handle bars for? :biggrin:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I've got the lowsaddle long flap- it really is great to have nothing on the back - it can carry a fair amount but be wary of the actual weight unbalancing the bag as stated previously.

I have to have a bagman support as I have a very small frame - without the bagman the saddlebag sits on my rear tyre and it still occasionally does this but have sorted this out by putting in a rigid plastic lid.

The QR release on the bagman can be very fragile - I'm currently awaiting a replacement for a broken spring release mechanism - however, if you're gentle with it then it should be ok.

roubaix murry

Holdsworth
Out of interest Tom what bike are you fitting it to? It sounds like me it a roadbike (no fixings) Mine is a 54 frame so now thinking the lowsaddle may be more suitable for mine!
Ps are you getting the bagman too?

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
Holdsworth
Out of interest Tom what bike are you fitting it to? It sounds like me it a roadbike (no fixings) Mine is a 54 frame so now thinking the lowsaddle may be more suitable for mine!
Ps are you getting the bagman too?

The bike I will be fitting it to, eventually, is a Holdsworth Criterium with a 54cm or 56cm frame. John took the bag off his bike and demonstrated how it will fit on the bike and how much clearance it would give when used with bag loops. On my bike with the saddle fairly low it just fitted without impacting on the mudguards at the back.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The QR element of the Bagman works really well. It only takes a few seconds to remove the bag. The longest part is undoing the buckle on the bag.
If you mean the buckle that would traditionally go round the seatpost, I just remove it completely. It only makes any difference if you turn the bike upside down for a puncture or something.

Top Bottom