Saddlebag thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I am looking at getting a large-ish saddlebag for day rides and commutes to get rid of the need for a back pack, I am a natural sweaty bugger when riding and having a backpack on doesn't help at all!!!

I would ideally like like to get a Carradice Pendle with a Bagman support, the size is good (11 litres) and I have heard that quality is top notch. I just think the price is a little bit steep (£70-ish with the support) and I would like something nice and big to carry puncture repair stuff and snacks in the meantime, by the way they seem to be out of stock everywhere at the moment.

I was looking at the Topeak Wedge large saddlebag, it looks a fair size (1.5 litres) and the tree reviews on Wiggle suggest that it may be a good buy. What do you think, good or not? Are then any other large saddlebags I should be looking at in the sort of £20-£30 price bracket?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-wedge-drybag-with-strap-large/

Buying one at that price would leave me enought I think to get myself a half decent jacket and pair of Decathlon shorts
smile.gif
I should have around £60 left over for stuff like that.

Cheers,

Tom.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
How about a BUM BAG? I have used one for years for mountain biking. Its big enough for tools, wallet, phone etc and is very expandable so can also fit a lightweight waterproof and some sandwiches/snacks at a pinch (don't expect any bananas to look in great shape though!). The great thing about this though is that if you have to lock your bike up anywhere you don't have to fiddle around removing anything from the bike.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'd definitely recommend moving away from a backpack, I hate a sweaty back, but I still use a little one at times, what I've found:-

rear rack - maximum versatility, if feasible, certainly if you're looking at a largish Carradice with support then there's almost no weight differential between that combo and a lightish rack with lightweight rackpack - I have the Arkel Tailrider which is a very fine piece of kit, though pricey, for what it is, as all the 'quality' bike luggage seems to be. With the rack you also get the options for panniers when needed or to just bungy something to the top, it also gives a handy place to mount rear light that won't be obscured by a jacket.

saddle pack - any of the biggies are pretty good though published weights tend to ignore any support or fittings. If you know you'll not need to carry more, don't have rack mounts or aesthetically hate racks then they're a good choice. Easier to return the bike to stripped down version and keep the weight a bit more central. Smaller saddle packs are great, I have a couple of Topeak wedge ones and they've been going 2 years now.

other storage - there're triangular frame bags, I've not used them but plenty do. Bar bags I didn't like the way it changed the steering but it didn't take long to get used to, I sold mine. Top tube bags, I've got the Topeak one with the built in rain cover, great bit of kit, it'll hold wallet, keys, phone, fags, snack bar, no problem. Dummy storage bottles, I have one on each bike and each has two spare tubes, tyre levers, nitrile gloves and a selection of zip ties, obviously they do take up a bottle cage. I also use a bum bag and one of those little nike PE bags with the draw strings worn as a backpack.

I have 3 bikes, two with racks and mudguards and one with clip on guards only. Both wedge saddlepacks and the Arkel have all the tools I need and all three bikes have a dummy storage bottle setup as above, all three also have top tube bags. The weekend/long ride bike tends to be the rackless one, between top tube bag, saddle pack and storage bottle I have plenty of space for normal needs. If it's long enough, or wet enough, to require more then I'll put some bits in the bum bag or the little PE bag, if it's extra drink/food the PE bag folds very small once empty. If it's very cold, or going to be really wet, then I'd favour a bike with a rack and guards, with the Arkel and/or a pannier. For commuting I use one pannier and don't even notice it any more.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Rear rack and Carradice rackbag for the commute and a Carradice zipped roll for day/night rides with a storage bottle thingy for tools and tubes. I can fit some extra gear and a couple of packs of bics in the zipped roll (fig roll and shortbread usually, if you need that kind of detail)

If you're set on a Carradice, they are worth the money in my opinion, and you're having trouble with everyone being out of stock try ringing the direct. It's what I did and they had what I wanted, you'll pay RRP but if you you want it...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I bought one of these, http://www.carradice...ts/type/sqrtour and, to be honest, the quality doesn't match the price tag. And sixteen litres on the seat post doesn't do a great deal for the balance of the bike if you stuff it with stuff that your better half insists is absolutely neccessary.

I've also got one of these http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&product_id=58 and it's not good. Avoid.

I'm grateful that you've found what I've been after for a while - the Topeak looks ideal for short tours. The price is good, and 11 litres is just about right. Thankyou.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I am limited in my choice due the bike being a roadie with no mounting eyelets (should've mentioned that earlier). I don't see a new bike coming any time soon so I am stuck with what I have at the moment and I would like to make the best of it.

I am not sure about using a Bum Bag whilst cycling, I have read that it can be uncomfortable for some people and can still make the back sweaty if it is above a certain size. I have heard some have vents down the back to reduce the sweat problem, but as we know that doesn't always work with the likes of rucksacks.

I would definitely be looking for something not to be carried on my body, had enough of that, so the options of a saddlebag and a frame bag are still in.

I have considered the possibility of a seat post mounted rack with a top bag or something similar, but I can't see it doing anything better than what a Carradice would do, with a rack and bag it exceeds the price of the Pendle and Bagman combo which I would much prefer.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I bought one of these, http://www.carradice...ts/type/sqrtour and, to be honest, the quality doesn't match the price tag. And sixteen litres on the seat post doesn't do a great deal for the balance of the bike if you stuff it with stuff that your better half insists is absolutely neccessary.

I've also got one of these http://www.carradice...t&product_id=58 and it's not good. Avoid.

I'm grateful that you've found what I've been after for a while - the Topeak looks ideal for short tours. The price is good, and 11 litres is just about right. Thankyou.

Does that mean I should avoid getting a Carradice bag full stop? I couldn't do without a support because my saddle doesn't have bag loops, and even if it did I have heard hey are not much use for carrying stuff.

I know now to avoid the SQR range, I have had my doubts about them TBH, not the sort of thing I would trust to carry anything.

I think you have misread my post, the Carradice Pendle is a good 11 litres but the Topeak is only 1.5 litres.

PpPete

Legendary Member
How much of the 11 litres which you say is ideal capacity, is stuff that needs to come into work ?
Could you, for example, make do with a Barley and a Bar Bag - one to stay on bike, t'ohter into work, - and only use one or t'other for day rides ?

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
Well even though none are in stock, both the Pendle and Barley are the same price ATM at Wiggle, I would still need a Bagman support for either which pushes the price up to around £70 depending on the model of support I'd go for. I do a couple of trips into town to do light shopping and usually have to wear a rucksack which is around 15-20 litres but is uncomfortable to wear. I would ideally like something with the capacity to carry some luggage and the Pendle fits in nicely. But until the time comes that I can afford it I would like something to carry on the bike to hold essentials (tubes, levers, food) and maybe the Topeak wedge is what I need.

Maybe I should ditch the Carradice altogether and concentrate on a sensible sized saddlebag and wait until I get a decent tourer with a rack (a long way off) to carry luggage and shopping etc.

spiro

If you use something like a bumbag or small rucksack you could always add a piece of low density foam, like they use for bent seats, between the bag and your back to increase air curculation. My Paramo jacket has removalable foams strips in the back for just this purpose.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Well even though none are in stock, both the Pendle and Barley are the same price ATM at Wiggle, I would still need a Bagman support for either which pushes the price up to around £70 depending on the model of support I'd go for. I do a couple of trips into town to do light shopping and usually have to wear a rucksack which is around 15-20 litres but is uncomfortable to wear. I would ideally like something with the capacity to carry some luggage and the Pendle fits in nicely. But until the time comes that I can afford it I would like something to carry on the bike to hold essentials (tubes, levers, food) and maybe the Topeak wedge is what I need.
Why do you need the support?

I use a low saddle longflap (the Nelson Longflap's slightly smaller brother) and it's fine.

I used zip ties to attach it initially, then got a Brooks with bag loops on one bike, and some ViVa bag loops for t'other.

From my blog;
With a rack & zip ties - includes detail shots of the bag

With Brooks & Rack

From my Flickr;
4487872358_7197708d6a_o.jpg
Brooks Only by John the Monkey, on Flickr

4997618339_2d985ccf7e_z.jpg
With ViVa Bag Loops by John the Monkey, on Flickr

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Does that mean I should avoid getting a Carradice bag full stop? I couldn't do without a support because my saddle doesn't have bag loops, and even if it did I have heard hey are not much use for carrying stuff.

I know now to avoid the SQR range, I have had my doubts about them TBH, not the sort of thing I would trust to carry anything.

I think you have misread my post, the Carradice Pendle is a good 11 litres but the Topeak is only 1.5 litres.

I'll disagree with Dell on the quality of the Carradice SQR bags- I've got a (third-hand) SQR Slim, and it seems well put together to me. Don't worry about the fittings not being up to the job, they are. More than tough enough to take the weight, easy enough to lift off and on, though there is a knack to it, and fitting is very unobtrusive when you've removed the bag. I'll agree with him though on what it does to the handling. Less Italian road rocket, more tail-happy shopping trolley.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I thought that Bagman support was deemed necessary because without it the bag would swing quite a lot. Maybe I am wrong and I could use the Viva bag loops, are they strong enough to carry any sort of weight? Going on looks alone they seem to be quite thin and not up to the job, maybe I am thinking that everything I'll be carrying will weigh a ton. The saddle I have is an old San Marco Rolls, the loops will fit to that ok won't they?

Failing all that I would go for the Prima Maxi that the other person suggested, not completely waterproof but not badly made, a good size and not too bad on price either.

Top Bottom