Saddles that wreaked havoc on your backside ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
I also had a richey biomax..........like sitting on a brick. That one got sold quickly too. I also had a spa cycles Nidd.........like sitting on a saddle 3 feet wide and arse sliding all over the place, this one sold as well,

I have a spa saddle still rock hard after 5 years!

Needs a good hiding! Actually that's the problem!!

OP
OP
G

Guitars and Bikes

I have a spa saddle still rock hard after 5 years!

Needs a good hiding! Actually that's the problem!!

If I had a nail I needed to put in a wall and couldn't find my hammer, I could have whacked it with spa Nidd and job done. I'm surprised they don't stock the Nidd in b&q in the hammers section.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The only two road bikes I have ever bought both came with bottom of the range Selle ones. Utter ,utter rubbish which were replaced with Charge Spoons within ten days. I can't pretend that the replacements are complete luxury. After forty or fifty miles, my bum yearns to be far away from the instruments of torture, but cycling has a rich vein of masochism, doesn't it??

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Charge Spoon. A real spoon would have hurt less.
:thumbsup:
You have an odd ass - comfy for me. Got two. Any saddle that's rounded or has gel in it - mine need to be quite 'flat'
My vote goes with @Drago... There was a Spoon on my CAADX when I bought it but it didn't stay there long long - horrid thing!

I also had big problems with San Marco Rolls, though many people find them really comfy.

I liked the original Fizik Arione saddles, when they were still curved. Then I bought a later one which had a flat top - that was awful. The problem with my originals was that they all broke at the 'Wingflex' slots, which provided comfort but also structural weakness. I now have Planet X own brand Arione lookalikes on my bikes. They don't seem to sell them now so if I ever need another one I will have to buy used.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have found that cheap Selle or selle Italia bum perches that come as cheap standard fare on many bikes suit my pert and firm posterior nicely.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The only two road bikes I have ever bought both came with bottom of the range Selle ones.

Selle what?

"Selle" is not a brand. It's the Italian word for saddles.

There are several brands that have this word in their name: Selle Italia, Selle Royal (who own Brooks and Fizik), Selle San Marco, Selle SMP, Selle Anatomica and probably more.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Selle what?

"Selle" is not a brand. It's the Italian word for saddles.

There are several brands that have this word in their name: Selle Italia, Selle Royal (who own Brooks and Fizik), Selle SMP, Selle Anatomica and probably more.

Lord knows. It's a while ago but Selle Italia vaguely rings a bell. Anyway, it's a painful memory that I don't wish to dwell on.

OP
OP
G

Guitars and Bikes

:thumbsup:

My vote goes with @Drago... There was a Spoon on my CAADX when I bought it but it didn't stay there long long - horrid thing!

I also had big problems with San Marco Rolls, though many people find them really comfy.

I liked the original Fizik Arione saddles, when they were still curved. Then I bought a later one which had a flat top - that was awful. The problem with my originals was that they all broke at the 'Wingflex' slots, which provided comfort but also structural weakness. I now have Planet X own brand Arione lookalikes on my bikes. They don't seem to sell them now so if I ever need another one I will have to buy used.

I have the rolls saddle on both of my bikes. It is the only one that is truly comfortable for me, I literally forget I am sitting on a bike saddle and it looks so cool as well.

GuyBoden

Guru
I also had a spa cycles Nidd.........like sitting on a saddle 3 feet wide and arse sliding all over the place, this one sold as well,

It's a very personal journey, each human anatomy can be very different.

I loved my Turbo saddle in the 1980's, which I could ride 200+ miles in a day without any problems, but I was under 11 stone and young. I re-tried a Turbo again a few years ago, it was very uncomfy, terrible saddle for me nowadays.

The Spa Nidd is one of my favourite saddles, I can ride all day with no problems, I also have a Brook B17, which I like too.

Big leather saddles seem to be a good choice for big fat old blokes like me, so I've also been using a Selle Italia Storica leather saddle on my Ti bike, which I quite like, only problem is that it squeaks.

Selle Italia Storica leather saddle:
0043234_selle-italia-epoca-saddle-honey-brown.jpg

All uphill

Still rolling along
It's a very personal journey, each human anatomy can be very different.

I loved my Turbo saddle in the 1980's, which I could ride 200+ miles in a day without any problems, but I was under 11 stone and young. I re-tried a Turbo again a few years ago, it was very uncomfy, terrible saddle for me nowadays.

The Spa Nidd is one of my favourite saddles, I can ride all day with no problems, I also have a Brook B17, which I like too.

Big leather saddles seem to be a good choice for big fat old blokes like me, so I've also been using a Selle Italia Storica leather saddle on my Ti bike, which I quite like, only problem is that it squeaks.

Selle Italia Storica leather saddle:
View attachment 707388

I have a Spa Nidd which was just too hard for me.

I followed advice from CC and soaked it in water, then rode it for a few soggy miles. It must have grudgingly adapted to my bum because its comfy now.

When a bargain Nidd in brown appears I'll be ready to buy!

GuyBoden

Guru
I have a Spa Nidd which was just too hard for me.

I followed advice from CC and soaked it in water, then rode it for a few soggy miles. It must have grudgingly adapted to my bum because its comfy now.

When a bargain Nidd in brown appears I'll be ready to buy!

Yes, good idea, I slathered my Nidd saddle in Granger's boot wax for the first few months, until it eventually felt good. Some folk seem to give up too easily. :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom