Saddles that wreaked havoc on your backside ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Brooks Swift with Ti rails. Nasty thing.

@fossyant’s point about saddle profile also applies to me as I also get on much better with flatter saddles. They don’t have to be hefty either. For years I used a Spec Toupe, which is just a sliver of plastic but it really worked for me.

Cover material has also made a difference - I tend to fidget and slide forward on shiny saddles (brooks again) which speeds up the hatcheting process.

Worst saddle for me was when I tried a Tiago Spyder, like a cheese grater to your nethers. One ride and back to the store with that mistake.

p4pb11207998.jpg

Love them all my bikes have them , just a bit fiddly setting the angle of them .

's not the angle that's the problem or me, but the general topography of SMP saddles - and their overabundance of squishy padding. It's just too round all round and doesn't support me in the right places. As a result, it digs in and pinches rather horribly. Also, the SMP "droop snoot" type nose is awkward when riding smaller bikes as it catches in clothing and pokes you where you don't want to be poked.

I have Charge Ladle / Madison Leia across the three bikes that I actually ride (essentially the same saddle underneath the slightly different cosmetics) which has a much flatter profile and has a lot less of the gel padding.

The SMP came on a bike I bought from a forum member, and she said to me that she found Charge Ladles to be the spawn of Beelzebub. So it just goes to show...

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Selle Italia- unknown type, on a TT bike I got in 2008. Crippling even riding around the block, replaced with one of those saddles with a long padded nose (can't remember brand)

Brooks B17: I find them OK. I can ride all day, but I can also ride a basic Specialized saddle with a cutout all day, and be even more comfortable. Recently put a tan B17 on my Elephant bike because it wasn't quite comfortable enough to leave on my Surly.

Unknown saddle that I used during a tour of Norfolk and Suffolk in 2008: I thought I'd broken my knob.

I don't like 'grippy' saddles. Need to move around with minimum friction.

Jameshow

Veteran
Selle what?

"Selle" is not a brand. It's the Italian word for saddles.

There are several brands that have this word in their name: Selle Italia, Selle Royal (who own Brooks and Fizik), Selle San Marco, Selle SMP, Selle Anatomica and probably more.

You learn something new everyday!!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Madison Flux. Basically a charge spoon. I had a worse one but that's the one that leaves the horrible memories coz I endured it longer. One ride on that felt like I'd been in a prison gangbang.

The Turbo and Rolls have never worked for me, even when I was young.

Here's an interesting one though. I had a Rido which I fitted to a bike years ago and found terribly uncomfortable. Refitted it the other day as my other saddle broke and it's brilliant!

figbat

Slippery scientist
Madison Flux. Basically a charge spoon. I had a worse one but that's the one that leaves the horrible memories coz I endured it longer. One ride on that felt like I'd been in a prison gangbang.

I rode a Madison Flux for 224 miles around the King Alfred's way - not a moment's bother. Goes to show that saddles are a very subjective thing.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've never ridden a Dursley Pederson Cantilever bicycle, but looking at them always makes me wince. Isn't it a bit like sitting on a washing line?

https://onlinebicyclemuseum.co.uk/1...-dursley-pedersen-cantilever-road-racer-72-2/
1913-Dursley-Pedersen-Cantilever-Road-Racer-72-1.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A Brooks B17 without a doubt. Thats why I never recommend them. It all depends how old the cow was that the saddle is made from.

I had two B17s. One was great out of the box and the day I put it on the bike, I rode a century on it. The other took 18 months of daily riding to even start thinking about breaking in. I then lost hope and soaked it in a bucket of water for a week and beat it with a rolling pin. It helped the saddle a little bit. But it helped me a lot.

Top Bottom