Sadly loosing interest in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Its strange how I seem to be able to go months or even years without any abuse then you may get a few incidents in a short time.

Best advice is to completely ignore them (not allways easy I lknow)

If the abuse is escalated to threats or dangerous driving then inform the police.

Dont let the barstewards spoil your day.

If you really have lost your confidence on the road dont beatyourself up but maybe try and do some quiet routes at off peak times at first a d see how Iit goes.

I havent done one personally but have heard that the bikeability courses are good even for experienced cyclists.maybe that could be a good confidence boost .

Whatever you do good luck.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I live in South Yorkshire (Barnsley) moved there from a quite place in Scotland which was ideal for MTB and road cycling, but down here I had so much abuse.

Abuse can never be justified, but can you alter your riding style to reduce it a bit?

On the rare occasions I hold up cars, I do my best to let them through, even pulling into a gateway or lay by when I wouldn't otherwise have stopped.

I was grinding up a single lane hill a while ago.

No abuse, but I stopped when the queue behind reached about six vehicles, including a bus.

Having said that, I have had isolated random abuse from people in cars and pedestrians, so I do know where you are coming from.

S.Giles

I live in South Yorkshire (Barnsley) moved there from a quite place in Scotland which was ideal for MTB and road cycling, but down here I had so much abuse.
I very rarely had any problems at all with fellow road-users until I moved to...South Yorkshire. During my time there I had people shouting out of cars, blasting their horns, and had, at various times, a beer bottle/firework/egg either thrown directly at me or into my path. The egg hit me on the arm and splattered all over my jacket. It hurts when an egg hits you at 40mph. To cap it all, I was hit by a car and hospitalised for a week (this was an accident though, so I suppose it could have happened anywhere).

I eventually solved the problem by moving to Lincolnshire, and not a moment too soon. What a difference 25 miles can make!

OP
OP
A

And_rew90

^ Sorry to read your experience of cycling in south Yorkshire. Can't be fun having all that hurtled at you. I cannot understand what brings other humans to act like that towards someone else.

Glad your enjoying better cycling nowadays :smile:

buggi

Bird Saviour
Make sure you are riding out from the kerb. One of the reasons I think my ride was so nice yesterday was down to me claiming my space and riding confidently (I wasn't in the mood for taking close passes). If you're not sure of your road positioning I've got a great booklet that can help you, just message me your email and I'll send you a pdf copy (that offer is open to anyone by the way).

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Aggressive Car drivers with a strng urge to kill cyclists is sadly a UK phenoma these days. UK drivers are the worst for cyclist abuse anywhere I have ever ridden. Far better to ride away from low life like them wheever possible. That is th enumber one reason I left the UK. A**wipe drivers.

S.Giles

Aggressive Car drivers with a strong urge to kill cyclists is sadly a UK phenoma these days. UK drivers are the worst for cyclist abuse anywhere I have ever ridden.
I lived in the US for ten years, and couldn't help but notice how fast and aggressive British drivers are in comparison to those in America. I sometimes wonder why they are in such a hurry. There must be something brilliant happening somewhere, that I haven't heard about!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Used to be a great cyclist, but over the past year I have been going out less and less and summer arriving doesn't excite me anymore. I'm 24 and cycled mainly to help my anxiety disorder and depression and did 55 plus mile cycles a day sometimes.

However now I'm just fed up with the abuse from car drivers and I no longer want to go out on my bike which is making me feel worse. Lately finishing a cycle brings relief I haven't been killed or knocked off my bike due to a mad person who hates cyclists. People shout obscenities at me on frequent occasions or think its funny to beep the horn at cyclists. I have had it with some car drivers and sadly cycling doesn't appeal the same way it used to.

Has anyone else experienced a lot of abuse to make you think whats the point?
Yep. within my closest circle of cycling friends three of us have drastically curtailed our on-road activities over the last year, and one of the three has got shot of his bike, as a result of abuse, shite driving, excessive deliberate close passes etc.. I binned cycle-commuting in July last year after ending up on the verge once too often.

mtb-ing and running have kept my SAD at bay and the odd early morning (08:00) Sunday group ride keep the legs turning over. It's a cyclical thing for me.

S.Giles

^ Sorry to read your experience of cycling in south Yorkshire. Can't be fun having all that hurtled at you. I cannot understand what brings other humans to act like that towards someone else.

Glad your enjoying better cycling nowadays :smile:
Thankyou.

My S.Yorks experience away from cycling wasn't much better. I'm glad to be rid of the whole place. Especially avoid cycling through Stainforth BTW - it resembles an open-air mental hospital.

Mrs M

Guru
Quietish country roads or mountain biking off road?
I am not confident in traffic and lucky enough to have good quiet country roads around me :smile:
Don't let a few bad drivers put you off, it's your road too :bicycle:.
Best wishes.

BigAl68

Über Member
I avoid roads unless they are the empty country lanes of Somerset. I hate the way some car drivers seem to think cyclists have no reason to be on their roads. All I can suggest is as others have get off road, canals etc and I do hope your love of cycling returns. I know it makes a dark day seem lighter when I have a nice ride. Best of luck finding your mojo again.

Used to be a great cyclist, but over the past year I have been going out less and less and summer arriving doesn't excite me anymore. I'm 24 and cycled mainly to help my anxiety disorder and depression and did 55 plus mile cycles a day sometimes.

However now I'm just fed up with the abuse from car drivers and I no longer want to go out on my bike which is making me feel worse. Lately finishing a cycle brings relief I haven't been killed or knocked off my bike due to a mad person who hates cyclists. People shout obscenities at me on frequent occasions or think its funny to beep the horn at cyclists. I have had it with some car drivers and sadly cycling doesn't appeal the same way it used to.

Has anyone else experienced a lot of abuse to make you think whats the point?

Welcome fella. All I can suggest is '' don't let the bar stewards get you down ''. That's me being polite.

It is a great way to keep fit and with thinking positively and that more than compensates for their ignorance

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
:welcome:to the forum @And_rew90.
I know how disheartening it can be on the roads at times but try not to let them get to you and stop you doing something you enjoy. I ride on and off road, and I thoroughly enjoy both. However, I do like being away from traffic and idiot, abusive motorists. Consider some mountain biking maybe, but don't give up! ;)

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Aggressive Car drivers with a strng urge to kill cyclists is sadly a UK phenoma these days. UK drivers are the worst for cyclist abuse anywhere I have ever ridden. Far better to ride away from low life like them wheever possible. That is th enumber one reason I left the UK. A**wipe drivers.

Agree the UK is a pretty toxic place for riding in terms of driver's attitudes. I commute less now than I once did simply because too often I was arriving at work shaking with rage after encounters with scum drivers and it was really getting to me. A poor way to start the day. Luckily I can work from home when I choose. Around here I'm lucky to have a network of off road routes that, bizzarely for this wretched country, actually get you where you want to go without ending abruptly. The sooner we have more routes like that the better .

jay clock

Massive member
Am I unusual in having very few problems? I cycle commute in London (23m round trip 4-5 times a week) plus weekend country rides. There are a few careless people but abuse, I cannot think of any at all in the past few years..... I cycle about 5000km a year, so out a lot

Top Bottom