Sadly loosing interest in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
get a mountain bike, saddle up and get riding trails. no cars!
Just bellend horse riders and walkers.

The d*******s are everywhere.

ayceejay

Guru
I heard a brilliant put down recently, it went something like:-
" You own a daffodil car you daffodil not the daffodil road"
I think he was Welsh.
No he didn't say daffodil what he really said was daffodil

BSRU

A Human Being
Only have issues in the town, always plot my routes to use B roads and have no issues with other drivers.
Such as earlier, 100km of quiet B roads with no problems with other road users, the last 4km back in Swindon and I encounter 3 selfish road users, one of them on a expensive looking road bike:eek:.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
If you want verbal abuse while out cycling come to east Lancashire! There are plenty of thickos here who see someone dressed in lycra as a "puff" because you're doing something they are incapable of. The nicest place i've ridden in is Norfolk. I went there 2 years ago for a holiday,no close passes,plenty of giving way to me,no dumbo chavs on mountain bikes thinking they've beat you because they can overtake you when you've just done 50 miles while they've just got out of bed!

Oh I don't know about that. Plenty of dickless wonders in their 4x4s around here. Tractors with trailers are a bloody nightmare seasonally too.
That said, I would rather ride here than when I used to live in Stoke-on-Trent. The towpaths were brilliant but the road riding was hairy beyond belief with people close passing, numpties in tracky bottoms and football jerseys jumping out in front of you to see if they could get you to fall off, plus the one clown who leaned out of the passenger window and slapped my backside as they passed. Yes I fell off and yes I had a bruise that went from the top of my thigh to the small of my back. I bet that hurt his hand. I hope it did anyhow, cos it hurt me and I was off training for a week.

Lots of wazzocks out there but there are more decent drivers than idiots. It's just a case of picking your route.
Can the OP get out of the main roads and on to some nice rural roads. At least the tractors don't go as fast and you generally have plenty of time to see them and take evasive action if necessary. Cycling is a great sport/hobby and it's a shame to let a few pillocks put you off it.
I know of runners and joggers who get close passed, verbal abuse and all sorts, at least we cyclists have the means to skidaddle a lot faster.

RitchieJoe

Oh I don't know about that. Plenty of dickless wonders in their 4x4s around here. Tractors with trailers are a bloody nightmare seasonally too.
That said, I would rather ride here than when I used to live in Stoke-on-Trent. The towpaths were brilliant but the road riding was hairy beyond belief with people close passing, numpties in tracky bottoms and football jerseys jumping out in front of you to see if they could get you to fall off, plus the one clown who leaned out of the passenger window and slapped my backside as they passed. Yes I fell off and yes I had a bruise that went from the top of my thigh to the small of my back. I bet that hurt his hand. I hope it did anyhow, cos it hurt me and I was off training for a week.

Lots of wazzocks out there but there are more decent drivers than idiots. It's just a case of picking your route.
Can the OP get out of the main roads and on to some nice rural roads. At least the tractors don't go as fast and you generally have plenty of time to see them and take evasive action if necessary. Cycling is a great sport/hobby and it's a shame to let a few pillocks put you off it.
I know of runners and joggers who get close passed, verbal abuse and all sorts, at least we cyclists have the means to skidaddle a lot faster.

Just out of curiosity do you think you will ever look back on that particular accident and laugh?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
It seems to have got a lot better in London but I have notices a change in peoples attitude to me with and without a helmet . Put the helmet on and the abuse starts . Luckily I don't care what idiots say :okay:

Saluki

Just out of curiosity do you think you will ever look back on that particular accident and laugh?
Possibly not. I ended up in A&E as the pain was so bad that I couldn't stand up and it cost me a half ironman event too. It was 10 days or so before the event and I had a week off all training as I was in so much pain. Of course, if I discovered that the idiot broke his hand, I might raise a snigger.

ayceejay

Guru
Possibly not. I ended up in A&E as the pain was so bad that I couldn't stand up and it cost me a half ironman event too. It was 10 days or so before the event and I had a week off all training as I was in so much pain. Of course, if I discovered that the idiot broke his hand, I might raise a snigger.

There was this episode of CSI that your story reminded me of,
We have mail boxes on a pole at the roadside that makes an easy target for vandalism, the same in the states.
The story was about an unattached arm holding a baseball bat.
It seems that the crack was to drive by in the car and lean out the window to whack the mail box with a baseball bat.
So a guy fills his mailbox with concrete and when the oik whacks it he looses his arm.

Saluki

There was this episode of CSI that your story reminded me of,
We have mail boxes on a pole at the roadside that makes an easy target for vandalism, the same in the states.
The story was about an unattached arm holding a baseball bat.
It seems that the crack was to drive by in the car and lean out the window to whack the mail box with a baseball bat.
So a guy fills his mailbox with concrete and when the oik whacks it he looses his arm.
I haven't seen that one. I do like a nice CSI.

jon13

Regular
I live in barnsley so that sounds ominous for when I get my bike delivered. Perhaps I should of purchased a cyclocross.....
Don't worry. Just get out and ride. I live in barnsley and cycle regularly around Wentworth, dearne valley, penistone and out to bradfield. 20 to 50 mile rides . Have had very few problems during the last 4 years.
Get out with friends, plenty of clubs around.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It seems to have got a lot better in London but I have notices a change in peoples attitude to me with and without a helmet . Put the helmet on and the abuse starts . Luckily I don't care what idiots say :okay:
Interesting. Not least because I don't wear a helmet.

It's long been a theory of mine that a lot of people hate (or at least dislike) 'cyclists', but don't have nearly so much problem with people who happen to be on a bike. The moment you put on a helmet, it changes from a 'people' situation to an 'us & them' situation, and that's when things go pear-shaped. Not, I hasten to add, that I'm criticising anyone for wearing a helmet, or excusing drivers who behave/feel that way because they do.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Interesting. Not least because I don't wear a helmet.

It's long been a theory of mine that a lot of people hate (or at least dislike) 'cyclists', but don't have nearly so much problem with people who happen to be on a bike. The moment you put on a helmet, it changes from a 'people' situation to an 'us & them' situation, and that's when things go pear-shaped. Not, I hasten to add, that I'm criticising anyone for wearing a helmet, or excusing drivers who behave/feel that way because they do.
I agree and also notice that when people I have met before see me as a cyclist they ask me stupid questions about other cyclists I have never met , if I jump red lights and if I ride on the pavement .
I turned up to a building site last week to measure for a window . I know all the guys there and it was quicker to ride there . As soon as one of the guys saw my bike he told me that he would run me over if he saw me on the road . Now granted that this man is a total tit and the only reason he has a job is because his daddy runs the building firm but it was just seeing the bike that made his neanderthal reaction . Plus the fact he is a tit and would have trouble running over his own foot :rolleyes:

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
i live in Barnsley and i've never had an issue, i commute from south to west yorkshire a couple of days a week and people here seem friendly enough. I think the grand depart been held in Yorkshire helped. On my run in i see loads of cyclists and usually jump on their back wheel and have a chat.......to me yorkshire is quite cyle friendly.

Top Bottom