Sadly loosing interest in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only if you have difficulty reading.

We would save more lives, pedestrians and cyclists, if we concentrate on who poses the danger. Drivers.

Yet what causes the deaths?

30mph urban speed limits? Or pedestrians that walk into traffic, while reading their phone?

Considering that our roads are very safe for road traffic, but so poor with pedestrians, suggests to me that the major issue lies with the pedestrian.

Only if your moral code is so twisted that you support the death penalty for distracted peds.

The person in the two ton steel cage is introducing the danger, it is their responsibility not to collide with anyone, even if the person makes an error.

If people are getting killed why do you disagree that the onus is on the person who does the killing? Peds ALWAYS have priority, you disagree?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
If people are getting killed why do you disagree that the onus is on the person who does the killing? Peds ALWAYS have priority, you disagree?

Are you asking me? I'm not sure. But if you are...

... I was commenting on your OTT extrapolation of someone supporting the death penalty for distracted peds. More than ludicrous I would suggest.

As for priority issues etc...

...if a pedestrian decides to hoof it across a road and a car is travelling along it and the pedestrian has made an error and gets hit then no, it's not the drivers fault it's the pedestrians fault. Unless the driver was exceeding the speed limit or driving dangerously then I doubt that they would be found guilty of anything in a court of law. I don't see that as an unfair position tbh.

As for pedestrians having priority 'ALWAYS' what about on motorways? No pedestrians except in an emergency. What if A N Other decides to cross a motorway as a shortcut (it happens) and they get hit and killed. How could they be in a priority situation? How is that not the pedestrian's fault?

Last edited:
... I was commenting on your OTT extrapolation of someone supporting the death penalty for distracted peds. More than ludicrous I would suggest.

Why? Are you saying the pedestrians WANT to get killed? Of course not, and everyone wants to avoid a fatality, right? So, if pedestrians are getting killed, what do you focus on? The number of deaths caused by people staring at their phones is what? The number of people killed by being hit by a driver is what? Do you see what I mean? Mistakes don't need to be fatal, so if you ignore what's actually doing the killing it suggests that you must support the death penalty for pedestrians who make mistakes.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Why? Are you saying the pedestrians WANT to get killed? Of course not, and everyone wants to avoid a fatality, right? So, if pedestrians are getting killed, what do you focus on? The number of deaths caused by people staring at their phones is what? The number of people killed by being hit by a driver is what? Do you see what I mean? Mistakes don't need to be fatal, so if you ignore what's actually doing the killing it suggests that you must support the death penalty for pedestrians who make mistakes.

Ok GF - I'll stop there. Your sounding a tad excitable (being polite).

A very good day to you. :smile:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Blooming well said Sidevalve. One of the things that grinds my gears about the cycling community is the overwhelming tendency to blame everyone else for all of life's ills, and very little compulsion to take responsibility for ones own safety.

You keep making this claim, you keep being asked who you mean, which poster, which post, you never reply, so stop posting made up nonsense.

Have (another) read through this 17 page thread and you will find plenty of examples of cyclo-nobbery. I know you have a severe case of tunnel vision Glenn; but you really need to take those blinkers off. There are a LOT of selfish, arrogant, self righteous tw*ts on bikes and on this very forum; just like there are in every walk of life.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Have (another) read through this 17 page thread and you will find plenty of examples of cyclo-nobbery. I know you have a severe case of tunnel vision Glenn; but you really need to take those blinkers off. There are a LOT of selfish, arrogant, self righteous tw*ts on bikes and on this very forum; just like there are in every walk of life.

I'd not seen that thread and only got to p.3. Am I right in thinking you are referring to the OP (amongst a few others)?

Origamist

Legendary Member

How odd!

Anyway, back to the OP (who seems to be dealing with quite a bit of 'cyclist nobbery' from motorists). I'd recommend taking a break from the bike or finding some off road routes. Or, if possible, find a cycle buddy or a local CTC group to cycle with.

Best of luck.

Top Bottom