Sadly loosing interest in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

And_rew90

Used to be a great cyclist, but over the past year I have been going out less and less and summer arriving doesn't excite me anymore. I'm 24 and cycled mainly to help my anxiety disorder and depression and did 55 plus mile cycles a day sometimes.

However now I'm just fed up with the abuse from car drivers and I no longer want to go out on my bike which is making me feel worse. Lately finishing a cycle brings relief I haven't been killed or knocked off my bike due to a mad person who hates cyclists. People shout obscenities at me on frequent occasions or think its funny to beep the horn at cyclists. I have had it with some car drivers and sadly cycling doesn't appeal the same way it used to.

Has anyone else experienced a lot of abuse to make you think whats the point?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yes, a lot, and it frequently gets me down, too. :sad: I don't know where you hail from, but in Australia, people still have trouble thinking of cyclists as human beings if there's nobody in their immediate friends & family circle who cycle.
However, not having a driver's licence helps me stay focussed on cycling, because public transport bores me to tears.

Welcome to the CC forums, by the way. :hello:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Welcome to the forum. :welcome:. Sorry your not enjoying your cycling anymore due to non cyclists being unpleasant. I can honestly say that i have never been subject to any behavior like that. The drivers and farmers here are very polite, pleasant, and make sure they give cyclists enough space and room.

I dont know where you live, but perhaps cycling off road, or even doing some MTB may might make you feel better. Or how about cycling with a friend or a group.

Good luck to you

Hip Priest

Veteran
Sorry to hear that Andrew. Cycling is massively beneficial for anxiety and depression, as I can attest. It's a shame you've had a few incidents that have put you off. Is there a local club you could join? Strength in numbers....etc

Colnago Master

Considering the amount of cycling I do I think I get very little abuse.
I have also had depression and anxiety. Trying to put myself in your shoes I would think it's more to do with the anxiety.
Maybe joining a club so you arrange rides in advance and have the security of riding in a group will help.
But otherwise give cycling a rest and come back to it when you feel better.
Give it a couple of months and you might getting out again on a sunny day.
Lots of people have had depression and realise how hard it is. It's not until you feel better that you realise how bad you were.

OP
OP
A

And_rew90

Yes I have considered a club before and may end up joining one. Think I will give cycling a bit of a break for now. Shame I have given in to bullying car motorists.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Where do you live? I can't remember the last time I received abuse or had a near miss here in rural Lancashire. I'm sure it's worse in urban areas.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Any chance of taking a train to somewhere quieter and less abusive before starting your rides? I don't get much in the way of abuse, but I avoid urban riding - especially at the end of a long ride when I'm tired, by judicious use of trains. But then I live in London where we have lots and lots of train lines.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Yea I too wonder why and I've not cycled much in the last six months. This is even worse because I'm the work's cycle promoter!! I'm trying to get back into it and yesterday I had a pleasant ride out with no abuse.

I suggest a number of things...

Get a helmet cam. I seem to get less abuse and less close passes when I'm wearing one. It also calms me down because I don't feel the need to get angry when I've got the evidence.

Get a cycle buddy. May not stop the abuse but you have someone to rant at about it on hand who understands you.

Consider mountain biking. Drive to your destination and go off road and you'll meet like minded people.

surfdude

Veteran
welcome to cc dude .

same as some others have said . i not really had any abuse while riding . all you have to remember is they are the ar*eholes and are not worth the bother to even give a second thought to .
don't let the ar*eholes win .
you keep riding and keep annoying them car drivers .
they go home thinking there is no point going out in a fast car because i keep getting stuck behind bloody cyclists doing 15 mph

I know this is a cycling forum, but cycling is not the only way to get exercise to help with depression etc. I was a runner for more years than I have been a cyclist. Go for a run instead, its cheaper and more places to go, never got abuse from anyone whilst running/jogging. Also as others have said go off road cycling. My wife has never had anyone shout abuse at her but hates the close passes. So we organise off-road, much less stressful, you may get troublesome dog owners etc of course. Finding a route is sometimes harder but they can be found. I find it a bit weird however that you seem to get so much abuse, I live in Essex and commute into London all year, been doing it for 8 years, I can't remember the last time anyone shouted abuse at me. Where do you live?

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Nope...think I've had just two occasions in nine months and both of those were the same person. First time I gave it back and the second time I just thanked him for his interest and moved on. Felt a bit anxious for a few days later but I guess he got bored. Could be a matter of changing your route, maybe...if that's an option, of course. Hope you get through it anyway though...cycling is in my top three things to do, so seems a shame for you to feel forced into missing out on it. Chin up :okay:

Citius

Used to be a great cyclist, but over the past year I have been going out less and less and summer arriving doesn't excite me anymore. I'm 24 and cycled mainly to help my anxiety disorder and depression and did 55 plus mile cycles a day sometimes.

However now I'm just fed up with the abuse from car drivers and I no longer want to go out on my bike which is making me feel worse. Lately finishing a cycle brings relief I haven't been killed or knocked off my bike due to a mad person who hates cyclists. People shout obscenities at me on frequent occasions or think its funny to beep the horn at cyclists. I have had it with some car drivers and sadly cycling doesn't appeal the same way it used to.

Has anyone else experienced a lot of abuse to make you think whats the point?

Try mountain biking?

OP
OP
A

And_rew90

I live in South Yorkshire (Barnsley) moved there from a quite place in Scotland which was ideal for MTB and road cycling, but down here I had so much abuse.

Top Bottom