Saloon car cycle racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richardt

I need to purchase a rack for my car, which is a 2007 A4 4 door saloon. Most racks are suitable for hatchbacks / estates etc but there dont seem to be many bespoke saloon versions. I havent got a tow bar so that option is out, but I dont mind spending a few quid to get a decent one that wont damage the paint etc.

Any suggestions from the masses?

thanks in anticipation.

wilko

Veteran
My only suggestion would be to perhaps buy a roof rack and get a cycle rack that fits!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Mate of mine brought a 3 bike rack from Halfords a couple of weeks ago for his Audi A6. We used it twice over the weekend and after some initial messing about it seemed okay - particularly when you get used to setting it up. Carried 2 road bikes and an awkward ladies MTB on it okay on Monday. Although the instructions said that saloons were only able to carry 2 bikes...

Checkout Halfords website - it was on sale for £56 2 weeks ago.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got Nissan (Thule) aero bars with my old (20 plus year old) bike mount fittings for three bikes...(fork mount ones). The aero bars are very substantial.

Thule bike mounts are about £70 each......ouch........

alp1950

If you're not on a tight budget, I'd recommend Thule aero bars, and thule 591 roof carriers. They're all lockable (rack to car and bike to rack) the rack slides into the bars rather than wrapping round, the carriers are very easy to get bikes into and tighten with one hand, and the bikes are up and out of the way. We've left ours up there overnight in hotel car parks and never had a problem.

To look at all the options go to www.roofbox.co.uk -they're very knowledgeable, and helpful over the phone.

+1 for roofbox.co: excellent service & very helpful website. Also competitive pricing.

Great fan of tow bar mounted wheel support racks. Not cheap esp. if you need to get a tow bar fitted, but if you're driving long distances with heavy bikes probably the best solution.

wafflycat

alp1950 said:
+1 for roofbox.co: excellent service & very helpful website. Also competitive pricing.

Great fan of tow bar mounted wheel support racks. Not cheap esp. if you need to get a tow bar fitted, but if you're driving long distances with heavy bikes probably the best solution.

+2, on both counts.If you're planning on keeping the car long term, it works out well.

Downward

Guru
Roofbars are the better option I think. Once their on and the bike carriers attached it's a 2 minute job to put the bike up and can be done by one person.
If you don't wanna spend big money go for Automaxi bars £50 ish and Automaxi cycle carrier (£17 each)

Top Bottom