Salt vs. Soy Sauce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

I put soy sauce on everything these days, including beans on toast.

For only one reason and that is because if you look at the label it says only 6% salt.

But the Amoy stuff contains:

E631 - Disodium inosinate
E627 - Disodium guanylate

These aren't MSG, but wikipedia states that they are *used in synergy* with MSG.

Don't know if anyone else gets that sweaty chinese itch after eating that sort of food.

Surely soy sauce is better than salt?

Noodley

Why would you want to put anything "on" beans on toast. And I doubt you put it on "everything".

bonj2

the E numbers will be preservatives and while largely harmless in the proportions present there, don't contribute anything to your health either. Soy sauce is mainly salt anyway.
I personally avoid salt apart from a pinch in when cooking spices in a curry type meal.

SamNichols

It wouldn't surprise me if he actually did put it on everything. I bet Russell Brand rubs it over his genitalia and makes Madagascar midgets lick it off. That's the way he rolls.

Beans on toast is made excellent by using a bit of pickle instead of butter, by the way. Food of the Lord JC.

As for your thoughts on soy sauce, it's the far East's finest product, except dried tiger glands, and goes well with everything. So, continue to eat your soy sauce and worry not about the Chinese itch, unless it's in a certain area: in which case see your Doctor.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I love the smell of monosodium glutamate in the morning.
If you're gonna jazz up beans on toast, put marmite on the toast, or Worcester Sauce on the beans. You know you like it:biggrin:

bonj2

Abitrary said:
I put soy sauce on everything

it's better than putting cheese on everything, as previous housemates of mine used to do. It graduated from putting a sprinkling of parmesan on spag-bol /pasta sauce meals when we had it, to putting cheddar on all the time, to putting a thick layer of cheddar on everything, including curry.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

bonj said:
the E numbers will be preservatives and while largely harmless in the proportions present there, don't contribute anything to your health either. Soy sauce is mainly salt anyway.
I personally avoid salt apart from a pinch in when cooking spices in a curry type meal.

I crave salt, because my mother was brought up in a fishing village.

But surely 1 cubic centimetre of soy sauce is 5 times less worse than 1 cubic centimeter of salt?

SamNichols

Of course, be worried if you start adding it to milk, or putting it in tea, or making porridge with it, or adding it to yoghurt, or if you start slathering it over your genitalia. But, at the moment it sounds controllable and better than having a cheese addiction. Unless you have a cheese addiction too, in which case see a counsellor.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

bonj said:
it's better than putting cheese on everything, as previous housemates of mine used to do. It graduated from putting a sprinkling of parmesan on spag-bol /pasta sauce meals when we had it, to putting cheddar on all the time, to putting a thick layer of cheddar on everything, including curry.

I put cheese on everything as well. I go for the strong stuff though so you need less

SamNichols

Rhythm Thief said:
Lots of salt for me, I love the stuff.
Beans are nice with a tablespoon of Marmite mixed in.
Worcester sauce is also good with beans, and I can cheerfully drink it straight from the bottle.

Drink it from the bottle? That's made me make a little bit of sick in my mouth. It's fermented anchovies ffs: don't drink it straight out of the bottle. It's nice on cheese on toast and in bloody marys though.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
Lots of salt for me, I love the stuff.
Beans are nice with a tablespoon of Marmite mixed in.
Worcester sauce is also good with beans, and I can cheerfully drink it straight from the bottle.

Were any of your parents from a fishing area? Because salt tolerance is apparently genetic.

Whenever I go to a food eating place and pour the whole salt pot on, and people on the other tables look at me like I killed a kitten that was gandhis reincarnation, I feel like punching their snotter off

SamNichols said:
Drink it from the bottle? That's made me make a little bit of sick in my mouth. It's fermented anchovies ffs: don't drink it straight out of the bottle. It's nice on cheese on toast and in bloody marys though.

It is. A good bloody mary is a joy to drink, especially with black pepper and tabasco sauce too. A wonderful lazy Sunday morning treat with breakfast.
But Lea and Perrins is great on its own, honest. I'll cheerfully eat anchovies straight from the tin too.:biggrin:

Top Bottom