Saw a smoking roadie cyclist today and just wondered...who smokes?

Smoker or non-smoker

• Smoker

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Non-smoker

Votes: 87 78.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Irregular going on ex

Had some Cigars in Nov, then some in Feb. Have set challenge of making it to June without having any then it will be June > Nov. Once its one year in I'll say I'm an ex smoker.

To answer OP the other morning I passed a very fashionable gent, dressed nicely on a dutch/sit up bike who was tootling along with a rollie. Guessing he wasn't actually trying to impress anyone as it was on a main road rather than through town but still..... Oh and a fair few BSO riders with cigs but that seems to go hand in hand:laugh:

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
Isn't there a well trotted-out photo knocking about of Cippolini smoking on his bike somewhere?
Never mind, found it:

tumblr_lfig6qxcX91qga534o1_500.jpg

Nosaj

Ex smoker took best part of four years to get to the point where I think I am finally cured. Gave up for 2.5 years started again, stopped for a few months and started again so on and so on. Have not had a fag now since January 2011 but stopping this time is the only time I have been 110% certain I have quit.

There is a a guy at work who smokes on his way round a full iron man. He says that he enjoys the weird looks he gets when he crosses the line and sparks up!!!

Even when smoking I detested the smell of a cigarettes, I knew I stank as well and would never smoke indoors.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Lifelong smoker here.

I did give up for a while when I was racing but went back again after about eighteen months. I found zero difference in performance either way, which probably explains why quite a few pro cyclists on the continent smoke. Eddy Merckx and Peter Post were smokers during their career along with the aforementioned Super Mario. Many six day riders of old used to smoke and I remember seeing one or two light up in the trackside cabins during the Skol Sixes at Wembly.

simon.r

Person
Not many of us on here is there?:rolleyes:

I smoke roll-ups and think one of life's great pleasures is stopping to sit on a convenient way-side bench and sparking up, part way through a long ride.

I particularly enjoy the looks I get from lycra clad roadies as they ride past and realise I'm smoking:smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not many of us on here is there?:rolleyes:

I smoke roll-ups and think one of life's great pleasures is stopping to sit on a convenient way-side bench and sparking up, part way through a long ride.

I particularly enjoy the looks I get from lycra clad roadies as they ride past and realise I'm smoking:smile:
Try lighting up at the finish of a race for the funny looks ^_^

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Heres a strange one........A couple of us did the Tour of Britain stage ride around Stoke on Trent in 2009 (1st year for Prostrate cancer charity). Anyway we hooked up with a lad that was local to the area and knew the roads and the hills that awaited us. We stopped at a couple of the feed stations before the sequence of big climbs and matey boy sparks up.
Off we go, hit the big climbs and thats the last we see of him, he's off and away into the distance.
Caught a glimpse of him in the distance back at the Britannia Stadium when I finished.
Wonder if he would have been even quicker if he didn't smoke????

Top Bottom