Saw a smoking roadie cyclist today and just wondered...who smokes?

Smoker or non-smoker

• Smoker

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Non-smoker

Votes: 87 78.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I packed it in about 20 years ago as parenthood drew near. I rather enjoyed it and would have continued with pleasure.

Before quitting,I'd show up at the start of a half-marathon with a ciggie and a lighter in my sock.

I still like to be around the smell of fresh cigarette smoke, although the pleasure wanes when it's stale.

I no longer enjoy coffee, brandy or red wine as much as I did - the cigarette was a perfect partner to them all.

On the plus side? I'm considerable less poor than I would be and I can still run up several flights of stairs.

I cannot get upset about people smoking, but am amazed at the kerfuffle people make about quitting. You just stop putting lit cigarettes in your mouth. Of course it isn't easy, but nor is maths A-Level. Stop bleating about quitting; it's not sexy.

All these patches and ciggie substitutes are a fabulous growth indudtry, but little else.

Thank you. :rolleyes:

172traindriver

Legendary Member
^_^ The smoking debate will never go away we all know. I have my views as an ex-smoker that I am sure people will disagree with. Personally I think it was one of the most stupid things I ever did for around 20 years (I did plenty of other silly things), the most sensible thing I did was give up 9 years ago and start trying to get fit 5 years ago via cycling. I used to play football saturday and sunday, smoke 20 a day go out late eat kebabs, curries etc and seem to get away with it.
I have obviously saved a considerable amount of money and done my health a lot of good. It is also very sad to see a friend of mine pass away last week at 53 due to drink and tobacco related illnesses.
I agree with the previous post about people getting up on their high horse about smoking, we are adults and should be given the choice. Obviously smoking in public places in front of non smokers is a no no and I totally agree with that. A good example being a restaurant.
In an open place you should be entitled to smoke as in your own home, you know the risks, just like if you ride a bike on the roads you know the risks out there.

Thank you ^_^

wakou

Über Member
tourdefrancesmoking.jpg

lb81

I smoke roll ups, I don't smoke when I am riding but its usually one of the first things I do when I stop. I should quit and probably will do soon due to pressure from my 5 year old, but I shall miss the simple pleasure of sitting with a cup of decent coffee and having a smoke...

I think on this subject everyone will have their own opinion and I am not surprised to see that I am in the minority, no doubt my cycling performance will improve when I quit but I will certainly miss it.

Walking around Manchester recently it has struck me that one unintended side effect of the indoor smoking ban is the growing numbers of dog ends littering the pavements. In the old days they used to get collected up and thrown away but nowadays smokers, with the lack of consideration that is typical of so many people, just throw them on the ground. They don't rot down or bio-degrade so they're beginning to accumulate in the streets.

416919799_49655741ae.jpg

Reminds me of this from the wonderful "Adbusters".....

adbusters_MarlboroCountry.jpg

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
I do enjoy the occasional cigar, in fact after reading some posts on here i feel the need to keep a pack in my pannier now just for when the P-fairy visits.
no hamlets tho, they're like smoking a dried turd.

scotty110788

I smoke 20-30 a day, don't enjoy it no more, some days on shift, i clean bar fronts up and am sick of the site of tab dumps, 100s just lying on the floor, i smoke foreign turner since its cheaper which is even more worse on my lungs, and trying to keep speed of 30mph on a flat for more than 30secs makes my lungs feel like they are going to explode but ill quit on monday..well the monday after that...it will be a monday ust not sure what one!

Top Bottom