Saw a smoking roadie cyclist today and just wondered...who smokes?

Smoker or non-smoker

• Smoker

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Non-smoker

Votes: 87 78.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
In my 20 s I used to run. Fittest guy I knew was a heavy smoker. He would smoke during a long run and in the shower after a run.

havent been in touch for years. I hope he kicked the habit before it kicked him.

I dont know but suspect that amongst cyclists smokers would be a tiny minority.
Personally I quit 30 years ago thank God.

Willo

Used to smoke up until I was in my late 20s (am not 43). Found it very hard to give up, but obviously one of the best things I've ever done. Since then just 2 or 3 very drunken puffs but even then not for a few years. When I started work, the office was a haze of smoke with ashtrays on most desks. Ridiculous to think that was only 20 or so years back given then you cannot now even smoke in a pub. Let alone the obvious health risks who can afford to smoke these days!

Neilwoo123

Me,

Can't help myself either, it's the first thing I do after coming back from a long ride!! I don't smoke wilst out on the bike tho.

I have wondered how much fast I would go on my standard 25 mile route if I quit normaly do it in about 1hr15mins

Its a strange thing the smoking lark because I can do a hundred mile ride without smoking for 5 - 7 hours but at home its every hour!!

PurplePoodle

Hate smoking! Can't be around people that smoke as I have tourettes and it makes it alot worse.

I smoked from the age of 12 gave up when i was 21 and started again at 31 and have just kicked the habit for the final time 6 months ago. Not going there again its way too expensive. My GP couldnt believe I was a smoker he said I had the lung capacity of a 20yr old and O2 saturation of 98% which apparently is good. Having said that I find i dont breath anything like as hard now on climbs which leaves me in better shape at the top.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
The money I save on petrol means I can afford to smoke, although I rarely buy from shops nowadays. I bring loads of baccy home when I go on hols and also there's more and more cheap black market stuff available every time the price goes up here.

Luckily I'm of the generation when some of the truths about smoking was coming out and it was a minority thing which I never took up. Probably an urban myth but its said when the smoking ban was introduced in Ireland, folk took it up as an excuse to go outside and chat up the many smokers already out there ^_^

Top Bottom