Say cheese

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Interesting.

It is, isn't it. There is a cheese stall in Birmingham market that sometimes has this stuff rather cheaply. Irresistable. Literally.

I'm researching this issue thoroughly at the moment.

Never been into fondue. Tempted to agree that it is a waste, but need to do some research.

No. It might be a bit scary.

Here's some more to get your teeth into: I start to get a little bit stressed when there are fewer than 5 different varieties of cheese in my fridge. Two are always Grand Pardano (or Parmesan) for grating on pasta dishes and a mature cheddar (yes, Cathedral City IS a real cheese) for sandwiches, cheese sauces, etc. Today I also have some Red Leicester (proper mature stuff), Shropshire blue, Fowlers Forest Blue (superb) and some Iberico, just to annoy Liz Truss. But both the Red Leicester and Shropshire blue are about to be finised off. Sorry for any poor behaviour before Saturday.
Well done @BrumJim for keeping a lid on it. Elevenses here. Continuing my Cornish cheddar odyssey. Spelt again. I'm quite a monogamist cheesist and don't tend to "eat around". Maybe I should spread my cheese wings? Please excuse all the mixed metaphors.

OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Where does everyone stand on rind?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Funnily enough I was reading a FAQ from a cheese supplier just yesterday on this very point. The answer was pretty much "it depends" and "personal preference". Many natural rinds are perfectly edible and can be a tasty part of the experience. Some rinds are purely protective and need removal, but the answer here was to make your own mind up and use common sense. Don't go eating wax coatings.

I tend to not eat rinds if I am cutting the cheese myself but if I am presented with a, say, bacon/brie/cranberry baguette where the rind is included I'll happily eat it.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Well done @BrumJim for keeping a lid on it. Elevenses here. Continuing my Cornish cheddar odyssey. Spelt again. I'm quite a monogamist cheesist and don't tend to "eat around". Maybe I should spread my cheese wings? Please excuse all the mixed metaphors.
Spread your wings. What have you got to lose?

I'd start with some Yarg if I were you. Still keeping in Cornwall, but moving away from cheddar.

OP
OP
Randomnerd

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Definitely like a bit of rind.

Some of my wealthier friends invited me to a cheese party last autumn. With a cheese sommelier and all that jazz

All pretty dull tbh. Pair this cheese with this plonk etc. This cheese is more expensive than that cheese and is better. Da de dah.

But. The dude got them all munching on the rinds they had been binning. Most of the assembled cheesists were shocked at what they had been missing.

Best cheese I've ever had was from a deli in Lauder. An Alpine cheese rolled in meadow flowers. The rind was filled with petals. Absolutely amazing.

^_^^_^^_^^_^

Hmm, what have I currently got lurking in the fridge...

Brie, Brie with truffle (damn bloody gorgeous), Caprices des Dieux, Tesco extra mature Cheddar*, Davidstow 18 month matured Cheddar, a vintage Red Leicester, that whacking great big lump of Gruyere, Grana Padano (Parmesan by any other name - it's the same cheese, but made out of the protected region), Provolone Piccante and some squishy Italian thing that I think is called Burrata.

* I use this for cooking and sandwiches, but it's actually a very nice cheddar in its own right. You wouldn't be embarrassed putting it on a cheese board, as it would please most people.

Rind... If the cheese squishes, I'll eat it, if it doesn't, I don't.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Hmm, what have I currently got lurking in the fridge...

Brie, Brie with truffle (damn bloody gorgeous), Caprices des Dieux, Tesco extra mature Cheddar*, Davidstow 18 month matured Cheddar, a vintage Red Leicester, that whacking great big lump of Gruyere, Grana Padano (Parmesan by any other name - it's the same cheese, but made out of the protected region), Provolone Piccante and some squishy Italian thing that I think is called Burrata.

* I use this for cooking and sandwiches, but it's actually a very nice cheddar in its own right. You wouldn't be embarrassed putting it on a cheese board, as it would please most people.

Rind... If the cheese squishes, I'll eat it, if it doesn't, I don't.
I'll be round in 5' with some biscuits. Oat cakes OK with you?

Alex321

Veteran
Ideally, you don't stand on it :smile:

Either you eat it, or bin it, depending on the cheese, and your personal preference.

I always eat the rind of cheeses such as brie or cambozola. Usually Stilton too.

Other cheeses, I'll try a bit and if I don't like it, then it gets cut off and binned from any further slices.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I never put Brie or Camember in the fridge. It ruins the flavour and stops the cheese from maturing.
I eat mould on cheese as it is full of penicilin so good for you.

Lol. Cheese making Penicillium species (P. roqueforti and P. camberti) don't produce penicillin. (Thats P. chrysogenum which isn't used for cheese.)

And it would really dumb to eat cheese full of penicillin unless you want to flood the planet with antibiotic resistant pathogens and contribute to a major global health carastrophe.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I try to have a variety of cheeses from which to choose, and keep them in the fridge. On the other hand I know that the texture and taste are better at room temperature. The trouble is I haven't found a way of my body alerting me to give me a sign that I want to eat some cheese in a hour or so. ^_^

BTW Blue cheese is great for your gut microbiome

How does that work? Penicillium species typically grow at low temp (think caves!) and are aerobes, so are not exactly well adapted for growth in the GI tract. Or is there something specific to blue cheese which stimulates growth of other bugs in the gut?

Fat Lars

How does that work? Penicillium species typically grow at low temp (think caves!) and are aerobes, so are not exactly well adapted for growth in the GI tract. Or is there something specific to blue cheese which stimulates growth of other bugs in the gut?
Not quite sure. It's something I read somewhere that the bacteria in the blue cheese is beneficial in some way. I might be wrong

simongt

Guru
I never put Brie or Camember in the fridge. It ruins the flavour and stops the cheese from maturing.
Minds me of the story my mum told me of when my dad, in France in the RE during late 1944, sent a Camembert home. With the unavoidably 'dodgy' postal services at the time, it was well mature by the time it was delivered - ! :rofl:

Top Bottom