Say cheese

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
As I nibble on a spelt cracker, and a fine lump of Cornish mature cheddar, here with my panoramic view of the moors north of Bradford, I wonder about cheese.

Chief of the pointless-thread-makers being in absentia, I've decided to step into the breach.

To start you off on this heady journey, some initial thoughts:

• Cheese is best out of the fridge, wrapped in grease proof paper. Cut off any mould if it stays around that long
  • Godminster is a rather lovely cheese
  • How much cheese is too much? Should one limit one's intake to the suggested matchbox-sized lump?
  • Do you fondue? I've found fondue fun. But isn't cooked cheese a bit of a waste?
  • Have you calculated your annual cheese consumption in pounds / stones yet?
That's quite enough to get your teeth into for now.

Johnsop99

Veteran
Cornish cheddar a good choice, we enjoyed a very nice 40 month mature Davidstow Vintage cheddar at the weekend.
  • Cheese is best out of the fridge, wrapped in grease proof paper. Cut off any mould if it stays around that long
  • Depends on the cheese, Brie, Camembert,Stilton are best after about an hour at room temperature
  • Not tried it, will put on my to do list
  • How much cheese is too much? Should one limit one's intake to the suggested matchbox-sized lump?
  • Difficult one, definately need more than a matchbos sized lump
  • Do you fondue? I've found fondue fun. But isn't cooked cheese a bit of a waste?
  • Don't fondue but add bog standard mature cheddar to quite a few dishes.
  • No!

I have an opinion on this

all cheese is nasty smelly disgusting rotten milk that should be banned from all eating and cooking areas
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I sometimes make my wife cheese on toast - there is no greater love than this - it smells disgusting

I once went on holiday in summer. As usual I cleared out the fridge before I left for the airport. I must have left the milk out to make a cuppa and forgot to put it in the bin.
Hence when I got home after 2 weeks it had been left sitting on the kitchen worktop for a whole sunny fortnight in a kitchen that was south facing with a big patio door.
It smelt like cheese.
disgusting

Other opinions are available

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Naturally I have Isle of Mull cheese but have to limit my intake partly for financial reasons and also my digestive system cannot handle much at one time. Gastric Reflux.
Kept in the fridge but best taken out some time before consumption to get the best flavour.
Never cook it in any way as any cheap rubbish will do for that.

How much cheese is too much? Should one limit one's intake to the suggested matchbox-sized lump?

Alex321

Veteran
As I nibble on a spelt cracker, and a fine lump of Cornish mature cheddar, here with my panoramic view of the moors north of Bradford, I wonder about cheese.

Chief of the pointless-thread-makers being in absentia, I've decided to step into the breach.

To start you off on this heady journey, some initial thoughts:

Very possibly, but we always keep ours in the fridge. Occasionally mould does have to be cut off, particularly with cheese bought specifically by my wife for her own consumption.
Indeed. But so are most cheeses TBH.
Pardon? That question makes the nonsensical assumption that there is such a thing as "too much" cheese.
A nice fondue or cheese on toast can be very nice, depending on the cheese you use. It would be a waste of some cheeses, but is the best use of some others. And a cooked Brie or goats cheese can be very nice in the right circumstances.
I wouldn't dare. Cheese is definitely my biggest weakness when it comes to food.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Donger's Tip of the Day: If you like blue cheese, try Devonshire Blue (if you can find it). A firm cheese, orange in colour and similar to a Blacksticks Blue, though without a hint of sourness or bitterness and verging on creamy. The most gorgeous blue cheese I've ever found. Despite the name, it is actually from Derbyshire ... the Duke of Devonshire's Chatsworth Estate. I brought some back from the Chatsworth Farm Shop last year and wished I'd bought three times as much of the stuff.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
A cheese-making demonstration is an interesting blend of traditional skills and modern science. Worth visiting a fromagerie if you can.
Oh yeah, tasting.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I never put Brie or Camember in the fridge. It ruins the flavour and stops the cheese from maturing.
I eat mould on cheese as it is full of penicilin so good for you.

Top Bottom