Say cheese

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Some cheeses are pretty much made for melting - take raclette for example, and mozzarella, whilst perfectly good fresh, is also used extensively as a cooked cheesy topping or filling.

I love cheese, although as with whisky and gin it has taken me until quite late in life to acquire the taste for blue cheeses (now corrected by the way).

We store ours in the fridge and on a daily basis use pretty much straight from the fridge. That's because we almost always only use mature cheddar and that is always, as far as possible, Tickler Extra Mature. We tend to have some parmesan in for cooking and sprinkling on pasta dishes and some cream cheese for use in recipes or to accompany ham in a sandwich. Christmas time is the time for cheese diversity, although that is almost always the same diversity every year - a nice brie or pavé, some Rocquefort, Applewood smoked cheddar, some Spitfire and usually one other (this year was cranberry-studded Wensleydale). We never get through it all and often have to discard some, although not before it has been used in various recipes to use it up as much as possible. Spitfire makes a great pizza topping, for example. We will try to remember to take the cheese out well ahead of expected use though, to get the best out of them (especially the brie and Rocquefort).

I never put Brie or Camember in the fridge. It ruins the flavour and stops the cheese from maturing.
I eat mould on cheese as it is full of penicilin so good for you.

There speaks someone who does not have a cat who steals cheese... :whistle:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Slightly off topic ….I have the weirdest most vivid dreams after eating cheese.

Now this is true … Last week I dreamt that I’d bought a tandem frame, I’d taken it to be repainted and let them choose the colour. I went back some time later to see how it was coming along, the frame hadn’t been touched yet as a dog had entered the building a ran off with the front fork!

I asked what colour they planned on painting it, they said ‘the colour of Wensleydale cheese’!

Fat Lars

I try to have a variety of cheeses from which to choose, and keep them in the fridge. On the other hand I know that the texture and taste are better at room temperature. The trouble is I haven't found a way of my body alerting me to give me a sign that I want to eat some cheese in a hour or so. ^_^

BTW Blue cheese is great for your gut microbiome

simongt

Guru
I'm lucky that on Norwich market, there's a cracking cheese stall run by a lass and her daughters. Privately owned and run and very dangerous to your bank balance - ! ^_^ The range of cheeses are excellent and vary depending on what's available as they only buy top quality stock, usually from independent suppliers. Their knowledge is superb and very reliable as far as taste can be 'explained'. :okay:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I eat mould on cheese as it is full of penicilin so good for you.
I look forward to trying that theory out on 'er indores. :rolleyes:

Julia9054

Guru
You can freeze cheese. ;)
One of my fondest childhood memories is when my mum would buy a whole Lancashire cheese. We would go direct to the farm and choose one from about a third of the way down the maturing shed - Lancashire mild at one end and Lancashire tasty at the other. She would spend the afternoon slicing it into wedges with a cheese wire and wrapping the portions in tin foil for the freezer. (The 1970s when everyone bought a new fangled chest freezer to put in the garage). I would spend the afternoon hoovering up all the little bits that fell off during the process.

Hmmmm, would it be rude to say that when they closed the deli counter in my local Tesco, I picked up a 1.5 kg lump of gruyere very cheaply. It was vac-packed, so has been living in the fridge for the last umm.. well,. never mind. Let's just say it's continued to mature, and I've eaten about half of it. It's a real treat, sliced thinly onto hot buttered toast... :blush:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
As I nibble on a spelt cracker, and a fine lump of Cornish mature cheddar, here with my panoramic view of the moors north of Bradford, I wonder about cheese.

Chief of the pointless-thread-makers being in absentia, I've decided to step into the breach.

To start you off on this heady journey, some initial thoughts:

• Cheese is best out of the fridge, wrapped in grease proof paper. Cut off any mould if it stays around that long
Interesting.
  • Godminster is a rather lovely cheese
It is, isn't it. There is a cheese stall in Birmingham market that sometimes has this stuff rather cheaply. Irresistable. Literally.
  • How much cheese is too much? Should one limit one's intake to the suggested matchbox-sized lump?
I'm researching this issue thoroughly at the moment.
  • Do you fondue? I've found fondue fun. But isn't cooked cheese a bit of a waste?
Never been into fondue. Tempted to agree that it is a waste, but need to do some research.
  • Have you calculated your annual cheese consumption in pounds / stones yet?
No. It might be a bit scary.
That's quite enough to get your teeth into for now.
Here's some more to get your teeth into: I start to get a little bit stressed when there are fewer than 5 different varieties of cheese in my fridge. Two are always Grand Pardano (or Parmesan) for grating on pasta dishes and a mature cheddar (yes, Cathedral City IS a real cheese) for sandwiches, cheese sauces, etc. Today I also have some Red Leicester (proper mature stuff), Shropshire blue, Fowlers Forest Blue (superb) and some Iberico, just to annoy Liz Truss. But both the Red Leicester and Shropshire blue are about to be finised off. Sorry for any poor behaviour before Saturday.

I'm lucky that on Norwich market, there's a cracking cheese stall run by a lass and her daughters. Privately owned and run and very dangerous to your bank balance - ! ^_^ The range of cheeses are excellent and vary depending on what's available as they only buy top quality stock, usually from independent suppliers. Their knowledge is superb and very reliable as far as taste can be 'explained'. :okay:
I had a homestay language student from Switzerland who was missing his cheese. He didnt believe me when I told him that he could pick up a good Emmental at the market. It put a smile on his face.

Top Bottom