Schwalbe quality....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
In June of this year I purchased 2 Schwalbe marathon racers from SJS cycles.

Since then I’ve commuted 15 miles most days on tarmac . I run them at 60psi.

A couple of weeks ago a slight egg appeared in the front tyre side wall. I inspected the tyre but couldn’t see any obvious damage, so I thought I’d chance it.

On Thursday morning I got a puncture. Last night I took the tube out, it was only a thorn hole, so I put a new tube in and inflated the tyre

6364EF6B-BD9D-4B99-9B3C-81C688AC06E4.jpeg
132B0CCF-8C65-4E01-AE82-54B0811262F6.jpeg

I’d have expected a little more than 4 months life out a tyre. Yes, they fall into ‘consumables ‘ but that’s a bit rubbish.

SJS and Schwalbe have been contacted, I’ll let you know....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So about 2500 miles, do you think? Schwalbe rate the M Racers as 4 out of 6 durability, compared to 5½ for regular M and 6 for M+ but it's supposedly the same compound, unlike the M Supreme which uses the newer Evo (but is still 4 out of 6 durability). So I think that's a below par result.

U

User6179

So about 2500 miles, do you think? Schwalbe rate the M Racers as 4 out of 6 durability, compared to 5½ for regular M and 6 for M+ but it's supposedly the same compound, unlike the M Supreme which uses the newer Evo (but is still 4 out of 6 durability). So I think that's a below par result.

They rate their pro one 4 out of 6 and that is made of cheese :laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The tread seems really worn down on that side of the tyre, have you checked your tracking? :wacko:

Being serious - has there been any damage, if it is a rear have you been doing some cool skids whilst turning?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Schwalbe quality isn't what it used to be.

I ran 3 or 4 sets faultlessly but have stopped using them now after a couple of issues, including having to return badly misshapen new tyres and a tyre that developed an egg and then promptly failed. The failed tyre was well worn but not bald and seeing how previous sets wore down until the yellow was showing through it should not have had a casing failure at that point in it's life.

Your tyre has loads of tread left. If you look at the part that hasn't failed you can see good, even tread depth and that is clearly a premature failure of the casing. Might be worth contacting the supplier if you can be bothered.

OP
OP
Dave 123

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just had an email from SJS. Replacement on the way!

Good service from them.

byegad

Legendary Member
Racers were on my Catrike Trail when I got it. I was told by fellow trikers that they were femur. they lasted a few thousand miles and then the rear wheel one was looking bald. My other trike has Big Apples on and has done a lot more miles than the Racers.

I’ve never had any issues with the Schwalbe tyres I’ve used. A mixture of Durano plus, and M+ depending on which bike. They take a severe hammering, over high mileages, and haven’t let me down yet.

Old jon

Guru
Oh 'eck. I've just complimented mine on another thread. And recently bought a pair for my next visit to Brazil. Will go for a ride tomorrow and see if I spoke and spent out of turn!

D

Deleted member 26715

Do they date cycle tyres like car tyres to me they look old & not just 4 months, like last years if not the years before stock

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Do they date cycle tyres like car tyres to me they look old & not just 4 months, like last years if not the years before stock

Even if they were a few years old, they still shouldn't fail structurally like that, although the rubber might look tatty. That looks like a manufacturing defect to me. I've got a pair of 43+ year old Semperit tyres on my old Puch Touring 3-speed roadster. When I got the bike I just pumped the tyres up and went for a 10 mile ride. They haven't shed bits of rubber or exploded yet, despite the fact they could even be the tyres fitted at the Graz factory, in which case they date from 1973/74.

Top Bottom