Schwalbe quality....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
Have marathon plus on my commuter hybrid which i also use off road once per week. Absolutely bullet proof. Had them for 2 years riding 6 miles per day on roads and 20 off road per week.

OP
OP
Dave 123

Dave 123

Legendary Member
And Schwalbe have replied within the day.

So, crap tyre, nice people!

stuarttunstall

I have Schwalbe Smart Sam 700 x 42C on my new Scott Sub Cross 10 which I got the end of May, only done about 300 miles since as I use it weekends, and they look as good as new, I now not a major mileage....

I do intend when a change comes to get some Marathon Plus Tour which are either 700 x 35 or 700 x 40 as the roads i ride on are not the best...

johnnyb47

Guru
One of my Schwalbe lugano tyres failed earlier this year whilst out on a group ride. It developed a giant shaped bulge and ended up cutting my ride short.

ozboz

Guru
On my Tourer i had M's on no probs at all and still have them just in case , i replaced them with Landcruisers , they were on sale at Halfords , no probs with these upto to now , bad luck to get a duff tyre , but if they are prepared to replace them thats a good result ,

Smudge

Veteran
For a tyre for hybrids, i really like the Landcruisers. I have them on one of my bikes and i like the way they roll both on and off road. Also, even though they're just the standard K-Guard ones, not had a single puncture with them. Where i was plagued with them on the previous Kendas.
But, and its a big but...... there are small cracks all around the rim of each tyre, like they've been constantly run at too low a pressure. I only fitted them less than 2 years ago and do very low mileage.
There is the fact that i fitted them to my Carrera with an Ekit fitted, and they're not supposed to be Ebike compatible, but the kit is so lightweight and so low powered i didn't think it made a difference.

Alan O

Über Member
For a tyre for hybrids, i really like the Landcruisers. I have them on one of my bikes and i like the way they roll both on and off road.
Yes, I have a pair for my MTB for general hybrid-type use - mix of road, cycle path, canal towpath. They seem like a decent (and inexpensive) all-round tyre.

Actually, I've just realised... Without conscious reasoning, my winter tyres for mixed use are Schwalbe (Marathon Greenguard on my tourer), and my preferred summer tyres are Continental (Sport Contact on the MTB, Gatorskins on the tourer).

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
Yes, I have a pair for my MTB for general hybrid-type use - mix of road, cycle path, canal towpath. They seem like a decent (and inexpensive) all-round tyre.

Actually, I've just realised... Without conscious reasoning, my winter tyres for mixed use are Schwalbe (Marathon Greenguard on my tourer), and my preferred summer tyres are Continental (Sport Contact on the MTB, Gatorskins on the tourer).

They're certainly a good price, i only paid £18.99 for a pair of 700x35.
This sidewall cracking has made me hesitant to buy and fit them again though. But i have come to respect the puncture protection of many Schwalbe tyres, I'll maybe try Marathon Greenguard next for a tougher sidewall.

Alan O

Über Member
This sidewall cracking has made me hesitant to buy and fit them again though.
I don't think I'd let a one-off incident put me off a consumable product, especially not from a well-respected manufacturer. I expect every tyre manufacturer has had some bad samples make it through to the shops.

I’ve never had any issues with the Schwalbe tyres I’ve used. A mixture of Durano plus, and M+ depending on which bike. They take a severe hammering, over high mileages, and haven’t let me down yet.
I have;
- Lugano ('23') on the blue Ribble, barely a puncure, even allowing for the size/lightness of construction
- Durano 'PP' ('28') on the CGR, despite it being constantly used (almost) 'every day' for 16months, I've only had one puncture (a thorn that I almost needed a magnifying glass to find)
They get some stick on bridleways, tree-roots, towpaths, as well as a fair bit of 'lean', on a roundabout, at the bottom of a hill on my way home from work

I'd replace 'like for like', on present knowledge of them

Ajax Bay

Guru
In June of this year I purchased 2 Schwalbe marathon racers from SJS cycles.
Since then I’ve commuted 15 miles most days on tarmac .
So (with socks on) about 1600 miles' use. Looking at the wear, this does seem extraordinarily low (not surprised SJS/Schwalbe content (keen, even) to replace). I am surprised that the signs of the exposed carcass weren't apparent when you inspected the tyre a fortnight earlier (and decided to "chance it").
If I was wanting to stick to Schwalbe, given the daily commuting you're doing, I'd prefer the Marathon Almotion to the 'Racer' (but I acknowledge at a cost (£48 v £18)).
https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...almotion-2016-vs-schwalbe-marathon-racer-2015
The tread that Schwalbe put on reduces the effective depth of the top of the tyre to about 3mm (from the nominal 4.6mm). This tread pattern is of no use commuting on tarmac and just reduces the tyre depth (distance to inner tube) and offers puncture causes a 'way in'.
OT: I have just replaced my Continental GP4000S II (28-622) which had done ~4600 miles on the rear (mostly on road but a small amount (?1%) on tracks and stony/gravelly bridleways/farm tracks). I normally expect a front tyre to last 50% longer than a rear one. The rubber on my now retired tyre was fine (still had good depth) but it had a couple of nicks on the edge of the tread/top of the sidewall which could be seen from the 'inside' so represented a weak point (and the tyre had given sterling service (including Randonneur 2500) and deserved a rest.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Glad to hear that you are getting good responses from SJS and Schawalbe. The picture of the offending tyre clearly shows that there is plenty of tread above the failure of the rubber above the carcass. Just an unlucky poor quality tyre.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
For a tyre for hybrids, i really like the Landcruisers. I have them on one of my bikes and i like the way they roll both on and off road. Also, even though they're just the standard K-Guard ones, not had a single puncture with them. Where i was plagued with them on the previous Kendas.
But, and its a big but...... there are small cracks all around the rim of each tyre, like they've been constantly run at too low a pressure. I only fitted them less than 2 years ago and do very low mileage.
There is the fact that i fitted them to my Carrera with an Ekit fitted, and they're not supposed to be Ebike compatible, but the kit is so lightweight and so low powered i didn't think it made a difference.

Hub motors are known to cause premature cracking on cheaper tyres.

The extra dead weight may also be impacting on the non-motored wheel/tyre.

Marathon Plus is the answer.

Smudge

Veteran
A couple of pics i just took of the sidewall cracks in my Landcruisers.... They are like this on front & rear and pretty much all the way round on both sides. You can see by the tread they've done very little mileage.

DSC00065.JPG

DSC00066.JPG

Smudge

Veteran
Hub motors are known to cause premature cracking on cheaper tyres.

The extra dead weight may also be impacting on the non-motored wheel/tyre.

Marathon Plus is the answer.

I've pretty much decided to go Marathons next time round, although i'm veering towards the non + Greenguard ones.

Top Bottom