Scotland Highlands and Hebrides. A couple of questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aleksey-San

Regular
Hi all!
I represent a group of five bicycle tourists from Russia and we are
planning to travel in Scottish Highlands and Inner and Outer Hebrides within a couple of weeks in the first half of May 2019 mostly as wild campers on bicycles. Yes, we have got 5 XC/MTBs and 5 big pants-like rear bags for clothes, tents, food, spare parts etc. But new country - new specifics. So I've got a couple of questions to community.

1) Gas or petrol? We are going to have hot food cooking ourselves on camping stoves in evenings and mornings. What fuel should we prefer? Is it allowed (and ever possible) to pour petrol to plastic bottles on gas stations (as we need to keep it for sveral days somewhere)? Are camping gas cartridges sold in stores in towns and villages on the way?
2) Private roads. Google streetview photos show us some roads which we would like to cycle through are blocked by barriers with signage "private road". Not sure we should go through these areas but these roads really make a path usually more straight, interesting and sometimes difficult (that we actually like). What is experience and practice have cyclists with these roads? I could point specific locations on googlemaps for example.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

Slick

Guru
Hi all!
planning to travel in Scottish Highlands and Inner and Outer Hebrides within a couple of weeks in the first half of May 2019 mostly as wild campers on bicycles. Yes, we have got 5 XC/MTBs and 5 big pants-like rear bags for clothes, tents, food, spare parts etc. But new country - new specifics. So I've got a couple of questions to community.

1) Gas or petrol? We are going to have hot food cooking ourselves on camping stoves in evenings and mornings. What fuel should we prefer? Is it allowed (and ever possible) to pour petrol to plastic bottles on gas stations (as we need to keep it for sveral days somewhere)? Are camping gas cartridges sold in stores in towns and villages on the way?
2) Private roads. Google streetview photos show us some roads which we would like to cycle through are blocked by barriers with signage "private road". Not sure we should go through these areas but these roads really make a path usually more straight, interesting and sometimes difficult (that we actually like). What is experience and practice have cyclists with these roads? I could point specific locations on googlemaps for example.

1) It is illegal to use anything other than approved containers for petrol, don't do it. Camping gas is perfect and is sold in lots of stores.

2) other than military sites, there is no such thing as private. Probably should be a bit more specific with this one.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I used meths for cooking. There are alao good hostels and bunk houses in the oiter hebs etc. Gatlif trust worth a look, cheap and fun!
Be warned, shops can be few and far between so carry at least 24hrs rations. In the hebs 99% of everything is closed on a Sunday.
Hebs can be seriously windy and variable weather. Be well equiped.
The place is a paradise....smooth roads, low traffic, big spaces, stunning views. Enjoy!

Brandane

Legendary Member
One piece of crucial advice..... Beware the Scottish midge! Ferocious little insects who fly around in big clouds and are almost invisible. They especially like fresh foreign blood. Fortunately they aren't very good at keeping up with moving cyclists, so just keep going and you will be fine. Buy some midge repellent such as Avon Skin-so-Soft, which isn't readily available in shops but can be found on-line.

Other than that, touring in Scotland can be cycle paradise if you get reasonable weather - but that is never guaranteed, even in summer. Be aware that the Scottish islands are sparsely populated and therefore finding shops for basic groceries can be challenging at times, particularly on a Sunday as the sabbath is still quite strictly observed in those parts.

robjh

Legendary Member
One piece of crucial advice..... Beware the Scottish midge! ....
Buy some midge repellent such as Avon Skin-so-Soft, which isn't readily available in shops but can be found on-line.
When I was touring in the West Highlands in 2016 it seemed to me that every village shop had a small supply of Skin-so-Soft on the shelves - it may be a localised and seasonal demand, but word seems to have got round.

Other than that, I echo what people have said - Scotland can be great for touring but be aware of all the factors people have mentioned above.

One piece of crucial advice..... Beware the Scottish midge! Ferocious little insects who fly around in big clouds and are almost invisible. They especially like fresh foreign blood. Fortunately they aren't very good at keeping up with moving cyclists, so just keep going and you will be fine. Buy some midge repellent such as Avon Skin-so-Soft, which isn't readily available in shops but can be found on-line.

Other than that, touring in Scotland can be cycle paradise if you get reasonable weather - but that is never guaranteed, even in summer. Be aware that the Scottish islands are sparsely populated and therefore finding shops for basic groceries can be challenging at times, particularly on a Sunday as the sabbath is still quite strictly observed in those parts.

When I was touring in the West Highlands in 2016 it seemed to me that every village shop had a small supply of Skin-so-Soft on the shelves - it may be a localised and seasonal demand, but word seems to have got round.

Other than that, I echo what people have said - Scotland can be great for touring but be aware of all the factors people have mentioned above.

That stuff doesn't repel midges, it simply drowns them if you apply it thick enough.

The OP is from Russia, the motherland of midges. I'm sure he can bring us some stuff that really works, DDT, organophosphates or some such.

Hi all!

Petrol and gas: You can transport petrol in approved petrol cans - green. Your problem is finding a small enough approved can, I'm sure you don't want to transport a 5l can with you. Gas, yet it is available but which of the two sizes are you after? The small format is now just about extinct here and only sparsely available.

You'll find plenty of Private Road signs. These signs are put up by English landlords who have vast estates in Scotland but don't like the fact that we can roam there as we like. They try and put you off with signs and blustering. Ignore the sign but be prepared to be confronted by a gruff bastard who will approach you with a "who are you and what are you doing here?" Tell him to mind his manners and where you come from it is customary to volunteer your name first, then ask who the other person is.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Midges less of an issue in the Outer Hebs. because of the wind....

Just don't tell everyone how fab it is!!

IMG_4526.JPG
IMG_4571.JPG
IMG_4608.JPG
IMG_4619.JPG
IMG_4707.JPG

Top Bottom