Scotland Highlands and Hebrides. A couple of questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
I leave a week today. The weather is looking appropriately ropey! Packing heavy and planning for everything. We're a leisurely lot on these tours so hopefully the creature comforts won't weigh too heavily on the soul, or the legs!

OP
OP
Aleksey-San

Aleksey-San

Regular

Brandane

Legendary Member
Glad you enjoyed Scotland! You chose the best part of Britain to visit :okay::tongue:.

iandg

Legendary Member
Looks a great trip and sounds like a great time.

The bogs/swamps of Lewis really are a unique thing ^_^

Did you manage a route down through the bogs on the west side?

OP
OP
Aleksey-San

Aleksey-San

Regular
I just want to say thanks one more time to everyone in this chat who had supported us in our planning.
Did you manage a route down through the bogs on the west side?

The bogs were not very friendly to us. It was hardly possible to ride from Loch Morsgail to the river Abhainn Mhor Ceann Reasoirt. Very soft and wet peat/soil almost all the way. Sometimes the trail was loosing and we moved by GPS navigator. After we waded the river the trail was practically disappeared at all. Only few footprints and surprise! a bicycle wheel print in dirt. Looks like the similar crazy man was snucking there using OSM maps. Less than half a mile later we decided to go without any track because there were no difference at all. And we chose the shortest way along the right bank of the river aiming Loch Voshimid. Finally we reached the bridge across Stuladail river and then ride on the road to the small fisherman house near the lake and camped overnight there. Dragging bicycles with heavy rucksaks through this way was a tough exercise. I learnt myself how to utilize sheep's and deer's pathways to minimize energy consumption and understand what way is safe and less difficult.

Top Bottom