Scotland Highlands and Hebrides. A couple of questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Hi mythste! Everything goes well. I've picked up the UK visa so no way to retreat :biggrin:. Almost everything is planned by my group - route, logistics, bicycle maintenance pack, sites to purchase meals, to camp and what to see, common and personal gear has been selected/purchased. I've bought membrane pants and a jacket for REALLY BAD weather, it is mostly for complacency :laugh:. It would be nice if our ways will cross some time at some place. You can find a link to our route on page 3 or 4 of this thread.

BTW guys, a stupid question: will it be safe to drink water from brooks/springs without boiling or sterilization in Highlands? We will need to fill our bottles every morning. I know that in relatively chilly climate and in fast streams water is usually relatively clean. But sheeps, goats or other animals and maybe birds upstream can contaminate it that results in xx( and other unacceptable things. What is the chance of that? Have you got such experience?

Often have outside taps at petrol stations, toilets and a few in other places. These are the ones I have used in the past (that I can remember)

Harris -
Leverburgh - ferry terminal (passenger waiting shelter)
Rodel - toilets by church
Luskentyre - carpark toilets
Tarbert - waiting area by carpark (behind cash point machine)
Aird Ashaig - Petrol station

Lewis -
Leurbost - Petrol Station
Callanish - Visitor centre ( in wall opposite visitor centre shop)
Uig - Petrol Station
Barvas - Petrol Station

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
I have had a puncture from a bramble thorn on the Western Isles, but I was going a bit off road to find a camping pitch.

On the whole because there are fewer, trimmed thorn hedges, in the Highlands, than in other parts of rural UK, you are possibly slightly less likely to get a puncture there from vegetation.

You really need to worry about the weather more.

View attachment 458151

Take plenty of sunscreen :rolleyes:

Uig on Skye?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
That looks great, FF! Whereabouts are you?
*envies*
The cottage is Loch Portain, North Uist. My favorite place is the island of Bernaray. It has superb beaches and the very special Machair.
Harris, especially the west coast is spectacular too.
The Hebridean way is a must for any touring cyclist that appreciates wild remote and peaceful places.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Often have outside taps at petrol stations, toilets and a few in other places. These are the ones I have used in the past (that I can remember)

Harris -
Leverburgh - ferry terminal (passenger waiting shelter)
Rodel - toilets by church
Luskentyre - carpark toilets
Tarbert - waiting area by carpark (behind cash point machine)
Aird Ashaig - Petrol station

Lewis -
Leurbost - Petrol Station
Callanish - Visitor centre ( in wall opposite visitor centre shop)
Uig - Petrol Station
Barvas - Petrol Station

Many of the community halls have toilets / wash basins that are left unlocked, and free to use - they are often fine about you pitching nearby, so long as you don't outstay your welcome.

Fab Foodie

The reading material at Loch maddy ferry terminal is a little dated. The Giles annual was 1977! God knows how old the Z Cars was.....

A3EB218A-BC61-482D-8F57-18D4742FD71B.jpeg
E1C3834C-D53B-4906-9976-1C8AA4DBF764.jpeg

Fab Foodie

4E412E46-177B-44B0-B69A-DE8F10250F6B.jpeg
B99F05F5-87C1-43E0-B1E6-20FD7439F3A2.jpeg
E3FF5286-FC3F-4366-B029-6F978F963C5A.jpeg
E2824626-21E9-445E-8FA7-D93DFA0C4856.jpeg
97CC2806-CAEA-45CF-8AE5-F70E1A7188E7.jpeg
D9A3C091-8BDD-4428-8B91-9FA1B9CCBEA3.jpeg

There’s a reason me and @Hill Wimp have just invested heavily in a fully winterised motorhome....

iandg

Legendary Member
Many of the community halls have toilets / wash basins that are left unlocked, and free to use - they are often fine about you pitching nearby, so long as you don't outstay your welcome.

You learn something new everyday - 21 years living in Stornoway, never thought of trying a community hall when I've been 'desperate'.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You learn something new everyday - 21 years living in Stornoway, never thought of trying a community hall when I've been 'desperate'.

I was always surprised at first to find them open, but I guess it might mean that folks will stop over the night there, if there are facilities, and hopefully spend some dosh locally.

There is (or was) a ridiculous situation out at Hushinish - the water tanker was driving out from. Tarbert, to fill the washroom tank there in the toilets the big white boxes would drive out for the night, fill up, then drive most of the water back to Tarbert.

Ridiculous.

A nice householder out on the end there was happy for me to fill my water bottles from his yard tap, when I camped on the headland.. I don't think a Camper van would have had the same reception.

Apparently water is scarce right there.. Limited catchment I spose.

I've heard from a friend on the West Coast mainland that the whole North Coast 500 is proving to be a bit of a pita for some locals tho.

That's the trouble with 'routes' or hiking trails.. Concentrates all the lemmings into one place, changes the nature* of it, maybe.

* oops starting to sound like a proper old curmudgeon now:blush:

Top Bottom