Scotland Highlands and Hebrides. A couple of questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Perhaps mudsticks.

You may be pleased to know that I eventually wrote that car off (that's what i was originally told but it may have been saved) by crashing it into a policeman in an unmarked car and so my driving career ended.

And that's when I discovered cycling. Have made several visits to scotland but do want to get back on a bike with my ton of bike luggage. For i well remember seeing some bike tourists camped in some wondrous spots. Some no longer so free unfortunately due to inseason restrictions on free camping.

No one hurt at all in that crash I stress.

Ah well, alls well that ends well.

I'm sure your next trip will be wall to wall sunshine.

That'll make it extra hot fun on the hills, with all that extraneous baggage ^_^

OP
OP
Aleksey-San

Aleksey-San

Regular
@mudsticks you really must stop posting deceiving pictures ^_^
Our @Aleksey-San will have the shock of his life when he finally gets to Scotland, ends up soaking wet, battered by the winds, on a one street village with no shops open, no phone network, squashed remains of snacks retrieved from the depths of his panniers for dinner :whistle: :laugh:

No worries! mudsticks' pictures will not cheat me :headshake:. I'm going to visit a couple of outdoor shops this weekend to choose water- and windproof cloths: jacket, pants, socks and gloves . The one that I have now is not very suitable for this planned trek :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
No worries! mudsticks' pictures will not cheat me :headshake:. I'm going to visit a couple of outdoor shops this weekend to choose water- and windproof cloths: jacket, pants, socks and gloves . The one that I have now is not very suitable for this planned trek :smile:
Sometimes it can be better to just get wet while keep moving.
The rain can be warm in summer ^_^

That's it pat.

With comments like that you simply cannot be italian.

Citizenship revoked.

All the best.

Back to scotland and its wonders.

OP
OP
Aleksey-San

Aleksey-San

Regular
how's the planning going @Aleksey-San ? A month until I leave and I'm just about sure I've purchased everything I need. Going for comfort over speed! :laugh:
Hi mythste! Everything goes well. I've picked up the UK visa so no way to retreat :biggrin:. Almost everything is planned by my group - route, logistics, bicycle maintenance pack, sites to purchase meals, to camp and what to see, common and personal gear has been selected/purchased. I've bought membrane pants and a jacket for REALLY BAD weather, it is mostly for complacency :laugh:. It would be nice if our ways will cross some time at some place. You can find a link to our route on page 3 or 4 of this thread.

BTW guys, a stupid question: will it be safe to drink water from brooks/springs without boiling or sterilization in Highlands? We will need to fill our bottles every morning. I know that in relatively chilly climate and in fast streams water is usually relatively clean. But sheeps, goats or other animals and maybe birds upstream can contaminate it that results in xx( and other unacceptable things. What is the chance of that? Have you got such experience?

snorri

Legendary Member
question: will it be safe to drink water from brooks/springs without boiling or sterilization in Highlands?
We have no brooks in the Highlands, only burns or rivers, springs might be harder to find.
It would be safe to drink out of most burns, but I would not recommend it just in case there is a dead sheep or deer lying in the burn a bit higher up.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hi mythste! Everything goes well. I've picked up the UK visa so no way to retreat :biggrin:. Almost everything is planned by my group - route, logistics, bicycle maintenance pack, sites to purchase meals, to camp and what to see, common and personal gear has been selected/purchased. I've bought membrane pants and a jacket for REALLY BAD weather, it is mostly for complacency :laugh:. It would be nice if our ways will cross some time at some place. You can find a link to our route on page 3 or 4 of this thread.

BTW guys, a stupid question: will it be safe to drink water from brooks/springs without boiling or sterilization in Highlands? We will need to fill our bottles every morning. I know that in relatively chilly climate and in fast streams water is usually relatively clean. But sheeps, goats or other animals and maybe birds upstream can contaminate it that results in xx( and other unacceptable things. What is the chance of that? Have you got such experience?

Re the water question, I think it depends.

I always drink straight from fast flowing streams, burns etc, when hiking, and biking, without any ill effect.
In upland country that is - not so much in lower lying farmland.. More chance of field run off there.

Maybe its because I'm an outdoor worker with a cast iron biome, or possibly because I can read land use, and assess the upstream risks, I don't know for sure which.

Boil water, or use sterilising tabs or filter, of course, if you are concerned.

But it is extra time and work.

And Scottish water from clean sources is a delight to drink.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As mudsticks says it depends. I drank from burns for years and come to no harm. Advice I give usually is look upstream for a bit to check and also think “is this a good place for a toilet stop”. If it is move on. Also always take water from the upstream side of a bridge or culvert.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Do give all the hints and tips you can when you return! And may the sun and wind be on your back!
Apols, will do as soon as work gives me a moment!
In the meantime....

EA187123-F602-4F95-B9DF-CEB08FC6C5E4.jpeg
B661F892-D5CC-4AE9-8ACA-0C169BB13CD7.jpeg
40FACE30-6579-41DD-B824-411B9653E484.jpeg
8FEBA10F-16B8-45AE-9868-F7033351C3C6.jpeg
05954FB6-8822-473B-84D3-FFF1F6955983.jpeg
CC2CC47E-EFA7-450D-9505-260D6D22F0D6.jpeg

Top Bottom