Scotland...Ideas ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Thinking of going in August all being well and was after any ideas.Not a city break more somewhere a bit of the beaten track.Ive only really been to Glasgow and Edinburgh bit fancy somewhere different.

Midges...

snorri

Legendary Member
Ive only really been to Glasgow and Edinburgh bit fancy somewhere different.
Depends on what you are interested in.
Will you be taking a bicycle with you?
Travel by rail or car?
A few days here and there, or a week or two in one centre?
Interested in hill walking?
Want to be beside the sea?
Coastal walks?
Is getting a tan important?
https://www.touropia.com/tourist-attractions-in-scotland/
https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/attractions/most-visited/
https://www.secret-scotland.com/places-to-visit

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Sorry thanks yes going by car and more than likely take my bike.Probally between 4 and 7 days.Was thinking of trying to get somewhere self catering or a mobile home....two teenagers with us !

Sorry thanks yes going by car and more than likely take my bike.Probally between 4 and 7 days.Was thinking of trying to get somewhere self catering or a mobile home....two teenagers with us !
We had a good week in the Trossachs / Lomond a couple of years ago. A few day trips and some decent walking, ... Didn't have my bike, but some decent countryside to explore.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
Personal choice Aberfeldy, less than on hour north of Perth, not on the A9 but not so far away. A pleasant spot surrounded by hills but with little through traffic. Activities on Loch Tay and the river Tay which might appeal to teenagers (and older!). Walk up Ben Lawers. Visit a crannog. Cycle round Loch Tay. Relax.

Last edited:

OldShep

Über Member
Difficult question when there are so many options.
Because you say August then I’d tend towards a more coastal location to avoid the midges. Don’t forget about Dumfries & Galloway to relax and unwind somewhere like Garlieston, Portpatrick, Gatehouse of Fleet , Kirkcudbright
As I live in D&G I my fav bit to go to is Rosemarkie, on the Moray Firth. Great countryside on the Black Isle places of interest and Inverness if you’re in need of some city.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Be aware that any tourist area in Scotland in August will be standing room only.
I would second Rosemarkie and have just been looking at some pics I took of that area but not been able to get booked on the site there for the last couple of years as I do not book a year in advance.
Dingwall is a possibility in that area and is fairly central and many places of interest are within easy reach.
Cycling to the Black Isle from there is easy on paths and then quiet roads as well as the Brann Estate which has rough roads but was quiet.
The NC 500 tends to clutter up any accommodation anywhere near it and the current staycation advice is also increasing numbers to bursting point everywhere.
Sorry to put a dampener on your ideas but I am realistic as well as a known cynic so far as tourism is concerned.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

The River Conon in the Braan estate and Rosemarkie beach a few years ago.

Top Bottom