SDP - Where to start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stellios

I have recently purchased a hybrid bike through the cycle to work initiative which rekindled my love of cycling(I know I have picked the right time of year to do it!) Whilst its a sturdy piece of kit for my commute to and from work. It doesn't offer the speed i yearn for.

I have at home an entry level road bike which served me well many moons ago and i am looking to do some upgrades with the intention of getting out at the weekends for more lengthy pursuits.

Ideally i am looking to purchase a value pair of SDP's and Shoe set however i really lack a working knowledge of what I am looking for. This is where i hope to gratefully receive your feedback and expertise.

Firstly I am embarrassed to admit i don't understand what SDP stands for or the difference of various incarnations of SDP are suitable for the above needs. If anyone could clear this up that would be smashing?

Secondly I have a budget of approx £150 to buy both the pedals and shoes so any recommendations in terms of makes and models and shops/outlets would be appreciated.

Finally how difficult is it to fit the pedals bearing in mind my current cycling maintenance is stretched when changing an inner tube!

If I come out of the winter with the same motivation I have at present I am sure I will be frequenting these boards much actively looking for an upgraded bike and perhaps even a good club to take me under their wing. In the mean time thanks in advance for any advice.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi

Are the pedals to be put on the hybrid, the road bike or both? By the way it's SPD not SDP :smile:
I think it might stand for Shimano Pedaling Dynamics! I can recommend Shimano M520 double sided pedals @ 20 quid a pop. Shoes can be had for £40 + Checkout Chain Reaction Cycles or Wiggle for Starters. I believe M520 can be had quite cheaply from St John's St Cycles also, or at least that used to be the case. These are compatible with MTB style shoes (recessed cleat position and easier to walk around in).

You might want to look at SPD-SL or LOOK pedals for the road bike, if you're doing longer rides. The reason I don't use them on my road bike is the fact that they are single sided (unlike many SPD pedals) and require you to flick them over before clipping in, everytime you move away from stationary.

Firstly I am embarrassed to admit i don't understand what SDP stands for or the difference of various incarnations of SDP are suitable for the above needs. If anyone could clear this up that would be smashing?

They are actually called the Liberal Democrats these days, but some incarnations are called "Conservatives in disguise" ;)

Just kidding, it's SPD - Shimano Pedalling Dynamics - a typical grandiose sounding name for a simple system of securing shoe to pedal

£150 is plenty

My setup for commuting/day rides on a tourer (and also used on my MTB with the same pedals fitted to that)

Pedals £20
Shoes £70

I chose those shoes as a replacement for my Lidl cheapies, as if I ride out somewhere I like to lock the bike up and take a wander about for an hour, and the cleats are recessed enough to handle that without clip-clopping like dobbin, and though reasonably rigid, the tread profile is curved enough to walk around without people throwing breadcrumbs at me thinking I'm a duck...

Fitting is easy, just remember that the left hand pedal has a left hand thread (clockwise to loosen, anti-clockwise to tighten)

OP
OP
S

stellios

On relection I am just as embarresed at using the word smashing in a sentance!

Thanks for the advice

Fitting is easy. Just apply something like Copperslip or grease to the threads to make removal/servicing easier and don't forget the left-hand pedal tightens left-handed (IYKWIM) (oops-just re-read ST's post about the threads). Don't overtighten either. It's also a good idea to have the chain on the big ring to save your skin should you happen to slip up.

Bill

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
My setup for commuting/day rides on a tourer (and also used on my MTB with the same pedals fitted to that)

Pedals £20
Shoes £70

same set up as me and I can't fault them  :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

stellios

Cheers guys I will let you know how how my knees, knuckles and the rest of me get on! Whats would you the learning curve is to get up to full speed with clipless pedals? And on a scale of 1-10 how likely am i to hit the stack through a shoe related mishap?

When you get them, lean up against a wall, and practice. It will take a while. I use toe clips atm, and when I'm pulling away from lights, I tend to pedal with just one foot for a few strokes, until I'm comfortable to clip in with the other foot properly, else I fail.

I've had one moment so far, it's easy once you get the hang of it. Just remember you're clipped in. :smile:

davefb

Guru
I got the m324's single side of 'normal' pedal and one side of clip pedal..

i suppose you could say it can be a pain to sometimes have to flip the pedal, but it isnt that much of a pain...

3 falls so far ;)

ian789

I also use M520s and have some Shimano shoes, takes about 5 minutes to get used to, just remember whenever you touch the brakes think about unclipping (much like going for the clutch in the car.)

Top Bottom