Sea bass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
PM junior has just asked if we can have sea bass as he wants to try it.
So whats the wisdom on cooking it? pan-fried / grilled ?

And just as importantly what to serve it with?

PaulB

Legendary Member
I can not believe there is a person in Hull who doesn't know how to cook a fish!

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Sea bass is lovely... if its for junior I would simply pan fry with a pit of lemon and a sprinkle of herbs.

My eldest loves fish and would eat it every day if I could afford it. When we go to sainsbury's he does not nag to go to look at the toys or video games he nags to go to the fish counter and get a red snapper!

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
PaulB said:
I can not believe there is a person in Hull who doesn't know how to cook a fish!

Of course I do. Deep fried in batter, served with chips and mushy peas.:smile:

Actually it was more a question of what goes well with it than how to cook it.

Davidc

Guru
If you fillet it then pan fried is good.

Best though is to bake it - on the bone or fillets. 220 deg c for about 20 minutes (or the juice runs completely clear)

Wigsie's eldest has good taste!

Davidc

Guru
Piemaster said:
Of course I do. Deep fried in batter, served with chips and mushy peas.:smile:

Actually it was more a question of what goes well with it than how to cook it.

Boiled new potatoes, broccoli, mange toutes/ sugar snaps, garden peas, roast vegetables, asparagus.

All the usual things that go with fish!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If you're cooking it whole then it needs to be well descaled by you or the fishmonger or you'll be picking scales out from between your teeth all night.

Bman

Guru
Are they ill-tempered?

dr-evil.JPG

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Firstly get the fishmaonger to fillet and de-scale it. Wrap it in foil and bake with some lemon juice. Serve with minted new pots and french beans.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Uncle Mort said:
I'd steam it with shreds of ginger and spring onion on top, heat up soem soy sauce and sesame oil until smoking, and then chuck it over the fish. I would serve it with some spinach. All children love spinach!

+1 though I'd modify it slightly:

Steam it with white pepper and strips of ginger- a fillet will only need 15-20mins dependent on size. meanwhile slice up the spring onion into thin strips - when the fish is steamed, drain out most the liquid (leave a bit in for flavour) that will have collected at the bottom of the bowl and chuck the thin strips of spring onion on top of the fish - liberally cover with lots of light soy sauce. Heat up vegetable oil in a pan with no water at all in it until the oil starts steaming - pour it over the spring onions and the fish.

Easier than it sounds - just make sure your son doesn't get a mouthful of raw spring onion as that can be too much for a little one but this is a nice and light way to cook sea bass

Davidc

Guru
rich p said:
If you're cooking it whole then it needs to be well descaled by you or the fishmonger or you'll be picking scales out from between your teeth all night.

If you've baked it the skin should peel back, complete with scales, leaving moist white flesh exposed for you to slide off the bone free of scales and bones.

Just bought two beauties for our meal this evening. Having them with minted new potatoes, mange toutes, and asparagus.

Already salivating at the thought of them. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Arch

Married to Night Train
ttcycle said:
Easier than it sounds - just make sure your son doesn't get a mouthful of raw spring onion as that can be too much for a little one but this is a nice and light way to cook sea bass

If it's the son I met, then 'little' isn't really the word, he's about 8 feet tall...

All sounds lovely, I should cook fish more.

Top Bottom