seat post pannier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
thinking of getting one for my road bike, to help carry some drinks n stuff on longer rides

anyone used one for this? any photos?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
How far are you thinking of going and are you planning a cake stop?

If you eat right before hand then you should be able to do 60miles + on a couple of bottles that will fit on bottle cages and some energy bars in your jersey pockets.
My normal club run i will do this sort of distance with no extra food but for a nice peice of cake and a coffee about half way .

Another option is a frame bag which you can bung energy bars/ gels etc into ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cycling-/7294/i.html?Type=Frame%20Bags&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A5701&rt=nc&_nkw=frame bag&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

Milo

Guru
I always found such things to be frankly rubbish and mine moved about if there was to much weight on it. I would look at larger capacity saddlebags myself.

I always found such things to be frankly rubbish and mine moved about if there was to much weight on it. I would look at larger capacity saddlebags myself.

+1

Nothing worse (or more dangerous) than these "beam racks" rotating round to collide with your thighs

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
my biggest ride is 47 mile, i want to hit 80 next summer. that will take me abour 6 hours i recon as i want plenty of stops. hence the need to carry food. i have a small frame bag, i may look at a bigger or second one to get some food and drink im

the biggest thing i notice on long rides for me last year was the amount of fluid i needed!

60 miles on some energy bars eek!:eek:

I did about 40 today, had a sandwich, banana, apple and 2 mars bars. Hey I get hungry on rides lol

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I can happily do 40/50 with nothing more than water. I'm not the world's fastest cyclist, which probably helps!

Would a bar bag work better than a frame bag?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
ive just looked at getting a handlebar water carrier, i have one on the frame, i have a pump on the down tube (?) ill see if i can get longer bolts and put a water carrier there too. Thatll be 3 water bottles, my small frame bag may get some butties in it and illl be happy at that

Milo

Guru
Churchs often have taps if they have a graveyard. Or I have been known to knock on doors and ask politely.

Chris-H

Über Member
Based on personal experience i have to dissagree with the comments about the racks,i've got one,had it 3 weeks now,quick release jobby,25 kg load rating and absolutely brill,had heaps of shopping in the panniers on friday including the kids pop etc,its been well and truly used so far and no movement at all.I suppose it all depends on what you buy
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380356581480?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
My only critisism is the rails to stop the panniers hitting the wheel where too short for the straps on my panniers,luckily had a spare rack which i bolted on to the rail and job done.
This is just my own experience and the rack i got does'nt move around.

Chris-H

Über Member
ooooops scrap the above,just been out and fitted the rack to the mrs bike and yep it moved on the post,i sleeved some old tube rubber round the post and it cured it,it does'nt move on mine as i bolt it to the frame as my post is'nt long enough.

thnurg

Rebel without a clue
Beam racks rock. They only move around if you don't tighten them enough. I love my beam rack and bag. It is ideal for commuting, easily switches between bikes and can be taken off when going for a pleasure ride.
I don't think I'd recommend one for leisure riding though unless you want to carry a family picnic.

potsy

Rambler
I've been using one for a year or so and have had no trouble with it, but, I recently switched it to my cyclocross bike for a few offroad commutes and it does then move due to riding over very rough gound.
Maybe I need to put extra padding/packing between the clamp and the seatpost,then make sure it's as tight as possible?
They are good though, easy to remove when travelling light.

Top Bottom