seat post pannier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amaferanga

Veteran
Not saying the OP needs one, but IME seatpost racks work extremely well with a rack bag for carrying moderate amounts of not-too-heavy stuff. I used to use one for commuting and did an unsupported LEJOG with one. Not once did I ever have issues with it rotating on the seatpost. Mine was a Pletscher one (like this: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pletscher-orion-seat-post-fitting-rear-rack-with-mudguard-prod25435/) that Decathlon used to sell for about £16. So either decathlon or SJS have got their price seriously wrong!

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'd sort your pump carry out and just use the frame mounts. I've found a single 700 ml bottle with electrolyte mix is ok for 30-40 miles in the summer, I add a second bottle if I'm going up to 50 miles between stops. I drink lots of tea at any stops though.

I don't like frame bags (tri bag style) - find my kneed rub against when out of the saddle. I use a Topeak wedgepack for most rides, or R&K Countour Bag for anything longer. There are various styles/sizes of Contour bag, some prob have mesh for an extra bottle - might be worth a look. Very stable carry IME and seatpost adaptor which stays on bike only weighs 40 grams.

Zoiders

Unless it's a real mounting issue as in you have a carbon frame you dont fancy putting P-clips on then I would just use an normal lightweight rack such as a Blackburn over a beam rack.

chugsy

I have one of these - bought extra mounting blocks so it can be transferred between my many bikes. Holds all my tools, lunch etc... I use it's frame to mount all my lights so I don't have to buy multiple sets per bike. Not convinced it's suitable for carbon posts as you have tighten up an allen bolt directly onto the post. It's called the Altura Arran rack pack.

Altura%20Arran%20Post%20Pack.jpg

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
looks the business to me mate, where from?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
standard rack looks good but i bit too much for what im looking for, i like the look of the arran bag, jut about right size, connection to seat post looks a bit weak, is it?

chugsy

I believe there is a weignt limit for this as well to consider but it's sufficient for my and your needs. The connection is made by Rixen & Kaul (someone mentioned the Contour range in an earlier post) so the quality is high - over two years of rolling over pot holed surfaces it has yet to fail on me yet. If I was off roading on a MTB it'd be a different issue of course. Initially I was paranoid and looped a strap around the saddle rails and through the carry handles just in case it failed. Nowadays I just click and go - it's just so convinient and quick to use!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Top Bottom