Second hand bike problems!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Weejacko

Before I start, I am a complete cycling novice, so apologies if my language is not so technical!

Okay so, I bought a bike in lockdown (2012 claud butler San remo) and it's been riding perfect, until now.

I ride daily to and from work and as the weeks pass I and realising there's a slight gravelly feeling when I pedal. Now I've googled and googled for days and have deducted it down to my chain and/or bottom bracket.

My problems arise when I don't know what chain I need (8rings on the back, 2 on the front), and I have no idea what bottom bracket I have so I can replace it.

I have emailed many bike shops in my area, all of which are useless to me or just not replying to emails or calls.

Any help is welcome but remember I am a total noob.

Locating funny noises and feelings in the transmission can be tricky so I start with the easiest to fix which is pedals.

Stock pedals are plastic. Spin them by hand and feel for any grinding, sticking or sloppy movement. They may be serviceable.
If pedals pass, check for chain rubbing something under pedalling force. Maybe the front derailleur or chainring.

The chain just wears out and wears the teeth into sharks fin shapes if you leave it too long. It doesnt really feel different. Any 8 speed chain is OK ( but not the special singlespeed ones).

My bottom bracket is past worn but the square taper cartridge style can soldier on for hundreds of miles and there is no definitive point of worn out. Do the cranks turn smoothly. Is there any movement of the cranks side to side? This can cause chain rub.
The replacement according to spec sheet is 115mm axle square taper cartridge such as Shimano UN 52.

Doing the work yourself needs special tools and is probably best left to bike shop for now. Do you know of a local bike shop? Which town?

OP
OP
W

Weejacko

Locating funny noises and feelings in the transmission can be tricky so I start with the easiest to fix which is pedals.

Stock pedals are plastic. Spin them by hand and feel for any grinding, sticking or sloppy movement. They may be serviceable.
If pedals pass, check for chain rubbing something under pedalling force. Maybe the front derailleur or chainring.

The chain just wears out and wears the teeth into sharks fin shapes if you leave it too long. It doesnt really feel different. Any 8 speed chain is OK ( but not the special singlespeed ones).

My bottom bracket is past worn but the square taper cartridge style can soldier on for hundreds of miles and there is no definitive point of worn out. Do the cranks turn smoothly. Is there any movement of the cranks side to side? This can cause chain rub.
The replacement according to spec sheet is 115mm axle square taper cartridge such as Shimano UN 52.

Doing the work yourself needs special tools and is probably best left to bike shop for now. Do you know of a local bike shop? Which town?
The pedals spin fine, the chain as rusted and I figure that's the main problem. My other thing in the back of my mind is that it's a 2012 model and had been basically stood since. I think I will replace the chain and see where I go from there. Thanks a bunch, no luck anywhere else.

I also live in Doncaster so lots of shops but no online help and/or closed with lockdown

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Excellent summary by Michael so I'll not labour it, but I agree to start with the easiest things; It's most likely to be them anyway, far more likely than a failing bottom bracket. Most likely culprit is the pedals, second most likely is a really dirty and gritty drivetrain I'd say. (You don't mention if it's cleaned and lubed). Possibly the chain could be barely brushing against a derailleur, but check the others first. Other possibilities are a long way down the table of probabilities.

If you're unsure of how to clean and degrease the drivetrain, Youtube is a good place to start.

Edit to reflect the OP's update: A rusty chain will very likely be your culprit here. A new chain may or may not be required depending on how bad it's got, but you can very probably free up the current one. Spray it with a load of WD40, leave for a bit, wipe, repeat. See how you get on from there.
If it's really bad it may need a bath in oil. Most rusty chains (that are still moving) can be saved.

If you want to replace your chain you need to know your chain length, take the old one off, count the links, and measure it to get the current length. Watch watch this video which will tell you all you need:
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Get a new chain and cassette?
Assuming you’re keeping them clean and lubed as above?
What maintenance have you done since you got it?
They don’t get great press but don’t you even have a Halfords locally?
Bike shops are business, unless you’re a spending regular, you won’t get help for free by email. Stick to forums

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As above, start with the pedals, you'll be able to feel any play by hand. My money would be on the bottom bracket if you're talking gravelly. Hold the cracks and push them to and fro, there should only be a minimal amount of play.
You'll need a few tools, a crank extractor and a socket for the retaining nut. Could just be loose so check that, UN55 BBs can go on for intergalactic mileages so maybe unlikely on a 8 year old bike.
Try the chain first as you'll only need some needle nose pliers and a chain cutting tool to cut the new chain to the same as the old, measure it link for link not overall length. If you get chain slip you'll need a new cassette/freewheel.
Ask again if you need more help. You'll need a 3-8 speed chain.

You can revive a rusted but basically unworn chain. Spray some wd40 on each link taking care to shield the rims braking surface and bottom bracket with card. Leave for a while. Scrub with warm soapy water and stiff brush. Rinse off. Spray more wd40 to remove water. Place drop of oil onto each pivot of chain. Drip along upper surface of lower run. Drop of oil on derailleur pivots as well.
WD40 will dissolve grease in your BB and hubs if it gets inside. It is a passable lube in short term but washes out in the wet. Bike oil is more tenacious. My current oil is just the Aldi stuff.

OP
OP
W

Weejacko

Get a new chain and cassette?
Assuming you’re keeping them clean and lubed as above?
What maintenance have you done since you got it?
They don’t get great press but don’t you even have a Halfords locally?
Every time it rains or bad weather I give it a clean down the same day, Ive been cycling now for about 2 months and I try to keep up with the cleaning and taking good care of my beloved bike.

I did read that gt85 was good lube for a chain so I have got some of that

Beginning to think I'm not taking as good care of her as I should!

Gunk

Guru
I’d just start by oiling the chain :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Every time it rains or bad weather I give it a clean down the same day, Ive been cycling now for about 2 months and I try to keep up with the cleaning and taking good care of my beloved bike.

I did read that gt85 was good lube for a chain so I have got some of that

Beginning to think I'm not taking as good care of her as I should!
GT85 is good. If I use GT I would not bother with WD40. You dont need to clean the bike after every ride but spray some GT on the chain links using the red nozzle after wet rides.

12boy

Guru
If you replace the chain, get a quick link to go with it. These allow you to separate the chain easily. Another source of Bad Noises can be the wheel hub. If it is the bottom bracket, the LBS you buy it from should be willing to change it out for a nominal cost. My experience with locally owned shops is that they like repeat customers.

OP
OP
W

Weejacko

Thankyou all for the brilliant responses. As I'm just getting into cycling I have next to no experience in actually looking after a bike, grateful for not trolling and actually taking me seriously.

Cleaned chain and now the gravelly feeling has just about gone. Maybe a more thorough clean will be in order tomorrow.

Top Bottom