Secondhand Raleigh Junior Rigid MTB: lemon or worth a punt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
It might need wrapping around the bolt

Ah, thanks. I'll try that. :okay:

One thing I've definitely learnt on this project (it's reared its head more than once!) is that just because things fit together in a particular way on one bike doesn't necessarily mean that they do on another. :blush:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It might need wrapping around the bolt
I've never done that or seen it done, sounds like a bodge to me.

@Reynard there will be a groove that the cable lies in normally on both the mech and the funny washer-y doodad on the bolt, the cable goes through there. If you 'wrap' it round the bolt you'll never manage to adjust it.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
@Reynard there will be a groove that the cable lies in normally on both the mech and the funny washer-y doodad on the bolt, the cable goes through there. If you 'wrap' it round the bolt you'll never manage to adjust it.

Yeah, I know about the groove. But I had another look this morning, and it seems like the washer-y doodad was put on the wrong way round, which is why it wouldn't grip the cable. Have rotated it through 180 degrees with a pair of pliers, and matters seem to be much improved. Still need to tweak the tension though.

I think what @Gunk means about wrapping the cable around the bolt is to have the cable in a u-shape around the bolt to maximize the surface area that's under the washer, rather than just have the cable in straight...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yeah, I know about the groove. But I had another look this morning, and it seems like the washer-y doodad was put on the wrong way round, which is why it wouldn't grip the cable. Have rotated it through 180 degrees with a pair of pliers, and matters seem to be much improved. Still need to tweak the tension though.

I think what @Gunk means about wrapping the cable around the bolt is to have the cable in a u-shape around the bolt to maximize the surface area that's under the washer, rather than just have the cable in straight...
Often the washer doodad has a little square tang to stop it turning as the bolt is tightened, this faces to the rear alongside the cable entry.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I take it washer doodad is the technical term? BTW, many derailleurs or their shifters have a threaded thingummy ( the technical term) to adjust the tension without readjusting the odious washer doodad.

Yeah, washer doodad is very definitely a technical term. :laugh:

The derailleur I've fitted does indeed have a barrel adjuster aka the threaded thingummy, so once I've got the cable sorted, I can use that to tweak the tension. ^_^

That's on the agenda for later, but first I have to go pot up three walnut saplings that have been sat in a bucket of water overnight. :blush:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Can't you just get on with it? This project seems to have been going on for months ;) *

* Given I've got a Dawes Kingpin that's been as a frame since April and sat un-built for two months after a re-spray I can't really comment :whistle:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Can't you just get on with it? This project seems to have been going on for months ;) *

* Given I've got a Dawes Kingpin that's been as a frame since April and sat un-built for two months after a re-spray I can't really comment :whistle:

Beginning of July ^_^

Although after this afternoon's tinkering, it's *almost* rideable...

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Managed to solve the cable slippage through the pinch bolt using @Gunk 's tip. :smile: Although part of the problem was that the cable had become so chewed, that it just wasn't staying put. :sad:

So I stripped out the rear gear cable from the Emmelle and used that one instead. It's a new cable btw, because I'd fitted it just before I stopped riding that bike to try and solve shifting issues. Although that's got friction thumb shifters, so a totally different kettle of fish...

The chewed cable isn't wasted - it can be cut down and used on the front of the Emmelle when I start working on getting that back to a rideable state prior to moving it on.

Still need to work out where the tension on the RD cable really needs to be, but I can't quite finish that off until I'd got the chain on. So on went the chain without any problems (gawd, that's a wiggly, slippery thing to manhandle, but thank goodness for zip ties!), although my hands were too sore from sorting the cable to lock out the quick link completely. I will revisit that in the morning; there's a good hack with rear brake and drive side pedal, but for that, I need to fit the pedals... :whistle:

The real bonus though, is that the chain runs nice and smoothly on the big ring - small sprocket combo. There's no fouling on the FD cage and there's enough clearance between chain and frame thanks to that judiciously-placed washer. One happy Reynard. :girldance:

Even better, the bars and seatpost I want are now back in stock at SJS, so I'll be flashing the plastic later. I'm going for a 25.4mm post in the same brand. Given that the previous one came out as a bit oversize when measured, I'm working on the premise that I'll get a good fit this time.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Some are designed for the cable to be pulled 180 degrees around the bolt.
Like I said I've never seen that, early Campagnolo* perhaps ?
I know the couple of 10 speed 105 mechs I've got on 2 of my bikes have 'alternative' cable routing on the bolt but that's just to change the 'pull ratio' so they work with different rear cassettes/shifters.

* sounds about 'agricultural' enough for them

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Can I pick your brains, gentlemen?

The seatpost bolt is rather rusty / tatty, and it's not cleaned up very well despite my best efforts. It's serviceable, but I'd much rather swap it for one that can be done up with an allen key as opposed to a spanner, as it rather simplifies the on-bike tool kit.

SJS has a whole raft of these, in a fair range of sizes, but I'm not sure how I go about picking the right one. Is it just a straight swap for bolt length and diameter? Or do I have to take other factors into account?

Top Bottom