Secondhand Raleigh Junior Rigid MTB: lemon or worth a punt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Can I pick your brains, gentlemen?

The seatpost bolt is rather rusty / tatty, and it's not cleaned up very well despite my best efforts. It's serviceable, but I'd much rather swap it for one that can be done up with an allen key as opposed to a spanner, as it rather simplifies the on-bike tool kit.

SJS has a whole raft of these, in a fair range of sizes, but I'm not sure how I go about picking the right one. Is it just a straight swap for bolt length and diameter? Or do I have to take other factors into account?
As long as there's a 'keyway' to accept the tang on the 'female' part of the bolt they'll fit well, as for length you need to measure across the 2 outer faces of the clamp then take a couple of mil off or what can happen is the 2 halves will bottom out before sufficient pressure is applied. Better to be too short than that happen.

Gunk

Guru
I’m sure from memory you want about a 22mm bolt

12boy

Guru
Could you go to the LBS and try some different sizes? I've had bikes with malformed seat tubes due to someone overtightening the bolt. Found shims work very well.... l use one as long as the part of the seatpost that actually grips the post.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Could you go to the LBS and try some different sizes? I've had bikes with malformed seat tubes due to someone overtightening the bolt. Found shims work very well.... l use one as long as the part of the seatpost that actually grips the post.

Good idea if the LBS stocked the size(s) I need, but alas they don't. I asked last time I was in there. :sad: Hence the pot-luckery via internet purchase...

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
This morning's successes: I have closed the quick link on the chain using a hack I found online*, the FD works well and I now have most of the gears on the rear.

This morning's failure: Can't get the biggest three sprockets for some reason and need to work out why. I'm thinking limit screw may be part of it, as that's the only thing I haven't touched...

* Hold wheel with one hand drive side crank in the other, and with the link above the chainstay, pull in opposite directions. Result!

12boy

Guru
Being a weakling and an all around lilyhander when I got a 10 speed chain for my Brompton I found the quicklink pretty tough and bought a Park quicklink pliers for ease in removing and closing quicklinks. Like my Park cable/cablehousing cutter, it isn't often used, but it sure works well when needed. Maybe since you have been so good on this project Santy Claus will bring you one or both of these nifty buggers. You deserve it.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Being a weakling and an all around lilyhander when I got a 10 speed chain for my Brompton I found the quicklink pretty tough and bought a Park quicklink pliers for ease in removing and closing quicklinks. Like my Park cable/cablehousing cutter, it isn't often used, but it sure works well when needed. Maybe since you have been so good on this project Santy Claus will bring you one or both of these nifty buggers. You deserve it.

I know Santa Claus is probably going to bring me a work stand, because the parental unit asked me how much one cost. :laugh: Whether he'll bring any other bike-related gubbins, I've no idea. :blush:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This morning's failure: Can't get the biggest three sprockets for some reason and need to work out why. I'm thinking limit screw may be part of it, as that's the only thing I haven't touched
It could be the 'L' screw needs loosening a bit, the way to tell is if the cable goes really tight but the mech doesn't move.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
It could be the 'L' screw needs loosening a bit, the way to tell is if the cable goes really tight but the mech doesn't move.

That's pretty well much what it was, as the limit screws were the only things I hadn't touched. :okay:

I can now get all 8 sprockets on the middle ring. :girldance: Not tried the granny ring yet. On the big ring, I can get seven out of the eight without any tantrums - it *REALLY* doesn't like the big-big combo due to the chain angle, but no huhu, because it's not a gear I'd ride anyway.

Am struggling with the indexing, as there's always *one* sticky sprocket no matter what I try.

Will give it a break and return to it rested.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's pretty well much what it was, as the limit screws were the only things I hadn't touched. :okay:

I can now get all 8 sprockets on the middle ring. :girldance: Not tried the granny ring yet. On the big ring, I can get seven out of the eight without any tantrums - it *REALLY* doesn't like the big-big combo due to the chain angle, but no huhu, because it's not a gear I'd ride anyway.

Am struggling with the indexing, as there's always *one* sticky sprocket no matter what I try.

Will give it a break and return to it rested.
Don' fret too much, the indexing will need adjusting once everything settles down into its new location.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Don' fret too much, the indexing will need adjusting once everything settles down into its new location.

It's just frustrating. I almost had it. Changing from small to big worked fine, but changing back down again, the shift from #5 to #6 just wasn't happening. Fiddled with the tension, and now it's all over the place again. Aaaaargh!!!

* Hold wheel with one hand drive side crank in the other, and with the link above the chainstay, pull in opposite directions. Result!
Yes, but...
I found the quicklink pretty tough and bought a Park quicklink pliers for ease in removing and closing quicklinks.
Get the pliers! Hacks for setting them are manifold and work well. Hacks for undoing one are the work of Baal and Beelzebub and will mangle your pinkies!

Top Bottom