Securing D-lock to panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking for some creative ways to mount or secure a D-lock to pannier rack, without getting in the way of my two Ortlieb Roller bags. I don't wan't to have to put the lock in the bags when moving because 1) they get dirty from chain oil, and 2) they squash or bruise perishables, unless you put them in the bottom of the bag, which is a faff when loading shopping. You can't just load up your bags at the till or market, because the locks are always on the bike outside the shop and therefore last to go in the bag.

I'm currently using a Tubus Logo rack, and the top of the rack is free, but struggling to secure my full sized Kyrptonite New York lock with basic bungee cords, It's working free on bumpy roads which is obviously quite dangerous! I have placing the D lock around the frame of the rack, however can't quite get it secure either, even with the bungees.

Thoughts?

hoopdriver

Guru
Lock the lock onto the rack itself and then use the bungee cord to stabilise it and keep it from flopping around.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Lock the lock onto the rack itself and then use the bungee cord to stabilise it and keep it from flopping around.
I did try this, but the Tubus frame is quite sparse, so there's not much to hold on to.

Maybe it's my bungee cords that are not up to the job, but the lock still flaps around.
28421.jpg

I'll update the thread later with a picture of the lock on top of the rack so it's easier see what I mean.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bungee cords are never up to that job IMO. A good D lock will be heavy enough that it'll bounce apart from the rack slightly, the bungee will stretch under the pressure, the lock will move a bit and then the bungee pulls tight across its new location, possibly moving it further. You'd probably need to tighten the bungee so much that it would be pretty hazardous hooking and unhooking it and put everything (hooks, cord, maybe even rack) under a lot of pressure.

Either get a fairly expensive D-lock holder or use fairly cheap luggage straps that you can tighten (Arno straps are popular - I more often use wetkama buckle straps).

When I'm not carrying large amounts of stuff, I just put the lock in a fairly puncture-resistant bag in the pannier. The bag stops it cruddying everything up. If the panniers aren't going to be stuffed with shopping, I can usually put the bag against one wall of the pannier and then slide the lock down into it, pushing the (non-squishy on that side!) shopping out of the way slightly.

Last resort, if you've enough clearance, lock the lock through the saddle rails when the panniers are stuffed and you can't be bothered strapping it down. Probably only for short distances as it'll rattle annoyingly.

si_c

Guru
Usually running two bottle cages, not enough room for the lock also.

One of my bikes is the same, so I have the bracket angled backwards so the lock angles in line with my chainstays, if you are careful, you could get it such that it's not fouling panniers or your feet, esp. if you have it high enough up the seat tube. YMMV though as I have quite a large frame.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
? Does the clearance differ with different makes of D lock? My Abus fits with two bottles (56cm Cannondale frame), albeit when fitted, the lock blocks access to one side of the bottle located on the seat tube.
I imagine it does, lots of variation in diameter and length of locks.

Toe straps are great. I use them for all sorts of purposes. The leather ones grip slightly better than the nylon but they both do a good job.

Top Bottom