Seeya! - arallsopp does the LEL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Arch said:
I'm happy to cut and paste it all into a word document, if you like, which I could then email you (I'm not sure I can make PDFs at home). In fact I have an unexpected day off tomorrow.

I'll even throw in a free professional proof-read.:smile: Although I don't think it needs it.

Arch. YGM :biggrin:
(actually its a PM)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Um, no I haven't. Well, not yet....

Maybe resend?

I knew night shifts were good for something, and this is it, reading epic posts like this in one sitting. Absolutely mind-blowing mate, the best post I've read since joining this forum, no question.
I was especially interested at about page 20 as you described the run from Thurlby South along Kings Street past West Deeping to Peterborough. We moved to Market Deeping (about 4 miles East of West Deeping, original heh?) in '77 and I now live in Crowland, 6 miles further East. I couldn't help reading your post about seized cables and thinking about the hydraulic cable oiler in my garage, and the fact that it would have had you sorted in a few minutes, had I but known you were passing so close.
I doubt I'll ever have the fortitude to try anything like this, but I am sitting dreaming about what it would be like. Painful, from your account, I think!

Hats off to you sir!!

:smile: :becool: :ohmy:

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Ok all.

Again, massive thanks to YOU for encouraging me to do something with this.

A couple of nights back, I was finally pushed over the edge. There WILL be a book.

I already have a debt of gratitude to Arch (proof reading) and Auntie Helen (typesetting).

Now I need you.

What on earth do I call this thing?

Andy.

Keith Oates

Janner
Like many others here Andy I've been following and amazed at the ride and the report, both of which are worthy of seperate and high praise. I also thank you for giving a distant ex pat a few hours of relaxation and pleasure in getting such an insight of what it takes to complete an L - E - L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tynan

Veteran
excellent work fella

to do this is amazng enough but to do it in ever diminshing gears and bad weather and barely working drive train is just silly

bravo

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Oops! Looks like I've got behind with my correspondence. :smile:

A few days tidying up, a quick spin to the coast in the rain, and suddenly I'm way behind on this thread. Apologies.

dmoan said:
Thank you so much for taking the effort to post your reports.

Thank you kindly. Your glowing comments may have just earned you a place on the back cover of the forthcoming print edition ;)

MacB said:
Fantastic Andy, the most entertaining write up I've enjoyed, but came to an end too quickly.

Ah.. Mac. Missed you on Friday. If you're a fan of things that go on almost indefinitely, you'd certainly have loved the Brighton run. I think we got there at about 9am! Character building stuff :biggrin:

Browser said:
I knew night shifts were good for something, and this is it, reading epic posts like this in one sitting. I couldn't help reading your post about seized cables and thinking about the hydraulic cable oiler in my garage, and the fact that it would have had you sorted in a few minutes, had I but known you were passing so close.

Well done for making it through in one go. If I'd known you were local, I'd have dropped in. Stamford Road, Stowgate Road, Station Road, Crowland. 9 mile detour from the route, but oh so worth it :smile:

Keith Oates said:
Like many others here Andy I've been following and amazed at the ride and the report, both of which are worthy of seperate and high praise. I also thank you for giving a distant ex pat a few hours of relaxation and pleasure in getting such an insight of what it takes to complete an L - E - L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Keith. Very much appreciated. Wahey! I'm being read in Vietnam.

Tynan said:
excellent work fella

to do this is amazng enough but to do it in ever diminshing gears and bad weather and barely working drive train is just silly

bravo

LOL. You're not wrong. To be honest though, I don't know any other way :smile:

OK. And now onto the titles.

dmoan said:
There and back again (150 cableties later...)

I quite like that. But you're already on the back cover. Can't have you on the front too :smile:

Auntie Helen said:
Laid Back LEL.
From London to Edinburgh and back in six days... on a recumbent bicycle.

Helles, your maths is awful. :biggrin:
From London to Edinburgh and back in 4 and a half days... on a recumbent bicycle.

Hmmm... We're gonna need a bigger spine :smile:

I'm still favouring something slightly abstract and snappy for the main title, with a necessary and descriptive subtitle to round it out for the unfamiliar.

I think paraphrasing Lee's post, then combining yours might just do it:

...Barring Mechanicals.

From London to Edinburgh and back, on a recumbent bicycle.​

iLB

Hello there
a book you say? nice one ;), of course a forward will also be necessary in that case, just to add to your work load... :smile:

as for the title, how about 'quite a ramp up...' as you put it in your first post on the topic in this thread ??

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
ilovebikes said:
a book you say? nice one ;), of course a forward will also be necessary in that case, just to add to your work load... :ohmy:

as for the title, how about 'quite a ramp up...' as you put it in your first post on the topic in this thread ??
I quite like that one .... :rofl:

arallsopp said:
Hey! Thanks all. We just made Post of the Year!!!

...and, the forthcoming book is in final draft, pending at the print house.

Hell of a year. Thanks all for the support and encouragement.

Andy.

Looking forward to the book. In my opinion the title should be called "a laid back adventure" (for nutters) :biggrin: only kidding but suggest some form of health warning on the cover....

Keep us posted on when the book gets to print !

Top Bottom